1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/11/17 1:26 p.m.

Wow, man!  It's not just an old thread.  This thing was started back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/11/17 1:56 p.m.

Still - it's funny to see my answer from 6 years ago.

I still don't own a rowing machine but I've come to love it as a decent replacement for when the weather is too foul to run or cycle and all the lanes are taken in the pool at the YMCA. The C2 is the machine to get too. IT has taken thousands of hours of abuse at the gym and it's still going strong.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/9/17 10:12 p.m.

Row any canoes lately?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/11/17 4:18 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/26/19 4:16 a.m.

Second canoe strike

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/26/19 9:52 a.m.

Seems a good time to add this:

I have long considered buying a rowing machine, but never pulled the trigger. One more piece of specialized equipment that requires storage.   I checked a bodyweight exercises book out of the county library and it prompted me to re-purpose an old lawn swing stand I built ten years ago so it could allow me to do this exercise, the inverted row:

I first set it up back behind the garage about two weeks ago.  I could barely get 6 reps with good form.  Just this morning I did two sets of ten reps, near perfect form.  Upper back feels stronger, posture feels better, no more sore neck when I get out of bed in the morning.  I love it!

Zero dollars spent. 

Bodyweight exercises rule!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/26/19 10:13 a.m.

There is also an arm pedaling machine  that many people use for upper body workouts , 

Basically bike pedals  with adjustable friction like a stationary bike but made to use with your arms.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/19 11:49 a.m.

This is my rowing machine.. should be complete in a couple of weeks.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
5/26/19 8:37 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Nice basement. Wish I could find one around where I live. 

mad_machine
5/27/19 12:14 p.m.

it's nice.. 8 foot high ceilings. Both inside and outside access.. but like everything else in this house, built very cheaply. Rather than proper supports holding up the mainbeam, they used steel jacks every 8 feet

MattGent
MattGent Reader
5/28/19 1:20 p.m.

Is that a CLC expedition wherry?  Wanting to build something along those lines but haven’t been able to make the time yet. I do occasionally borrow my friend’s dory:

To the original question I recently bought a used Concept 2 on CL to live on the back porch for cardio. I’d rather not run too much after knee surgery. 

mad_machine
5/30/19 7:31 a.m.

It is an expedition wherry. Just waiting on the next batch of epoxy to arrive so I can finish

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/30/19 9:00 a.m.

Classic submarine workout was to figure out where you were in the world and use the stairclimber to climb enough steps to match your depth and then row however far the nearest land was. Symbolically escaping via the erg makes you appreciate how much of a workout it can be. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/5/21 6:35 a.m.

Rowing canoe has been sunk. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q52BldYPS1GzyL4a5Y3yz1qs6LqJuh7dKSXBGiotQJLtY2HbVeBTeIN24NAuH5iJ