Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/20/17 10:01 p.m.

The water spigot on the back of the house is in the opposite side of the driveway which is adjacent to the patio, separated by a 6' privacy fence and gate. It's becoming a hassle to run the hose all the way across the yard, unlock the gate and him everything up just to hide something off in the driveway.

What I want to do is run a line over to the fence and mount a spigot there.

What I would like to do is trench next to the house along the foundation, out and around the patio using PEX. Mainly for the ease of the connections. Does PEX hold up outside?

I could just run a hose around but I would like it to be cleaner.

Any suggestions?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/20/17 11:26 p.m.

This shouldn't be any different than doing irrigation?

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
8/21/17 6:17 a.m.

PEX will hold up underground, but it doesn't do well in sunlight. UV rays deteriorate the plastic real fast. Better off with irrigation tubing underground to PVC water piper above ground. PVC connects to irrigation tubing with barb fittings. Run it just like you would run an above ground garden sprinkler. Have a female adapter on the end of the PVC and screw in a hose bib. Make sure inside you provide a shut off valve and a drain valve after it inside the house. That way you can drain the whole thing down in the winter.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/21/17 6:31 a.m.

The water supply from my house out to the dock is all PVC. Not sure how long it has been in service, but it's been at least 4 years since we bought the place and it was not new then. It is setup so it can be isolated by a shutoff valve in the garage and then drained down for the winter time. I would use PVC for the parts that are not buried.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/21/17 7:35 a.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

exactly how my old house was done. worked perfect.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 10:04 a.m.

There is some blue tubing that I often see used for the long-term installation of exposed above-ground water pipe, it may be this stuff:

https://www.colglo.co.uk/productlist.php?category=MDPE_LDPE_Pipe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krBtKHGEzMqExX4ZKDt9FOdF6yOzlRBDt7rnJhBo8s6GciKHVyxrarz7PhPS8xy5