1 2
Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/10/15 4:36 p.m.

I need a very scratch resistant, non polarized, anti fogging pair of safety glasses.

What's your favorite?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/10/15 4:44 p.m.

Aos. From lowes. 1.99 and replace them when they scratch.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/10/15 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I absolutely hate scratched lenses. I will gladly pay a premium for something that will not scratch the second a feather brushes them. I would go through ten pair of those a day.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/10/15 5:03 p.m.

Never seen them.

Let me know if you find them.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/10/15 5:25 p.m.

I'm almost considering glass safety glasses. I'd be almost willing to take on the risk of them shattering to get the scratch resistance.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/10/15 5:27 p.m.

You won't like the weight.

I had a set of my Dad's glass safety glasses. I got rid of the because...

... they were scratched.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/10/15 6:10 p.m.

Depends on the shop you are working in and your habits. I found my safety glasses got all scratched up as they wouldn't sit on the flat surfaces I wanted to set them on without rolling around on the lens surface. I found one UVEX that I can't remember the name of that a little raised rim to keep the lens from touching the table, thus minimized scratches. They still scratched eventually. The best I have had are the full on prescription lens safety glasses. Never scratched.

But always wear one man, I had two of them knocked off my face by chips from the machines. Heck one of those chips knocked my glasses off and embedded itself in my steel toe boot.

Will the elastic strap ones work?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/15 7:14 p.m.

My safety glasses are prescription and come from here. http://www.rx-safety.com/

They carry a bunch of non-script glasses as well so you might give them a try.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/10/15 8:07 p.m.

Find a local welding supply house, they usually have a variety of safety glasses available so you can try them on before buying.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/15 8:31 p.m.

having had a piece of metal removed from my eye.. I will not wear safety glasses.. I wear goggles

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
6/10/15 8:41 p.m.

Crews or Edge are my personal favorites.

I usually ride with my visor up if its 85°+ outside, so my Edge polarized glasses get a nice workout.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
7/20/15 9:54 p.m.

So the day after I posted this I went out and bought a pair of Bolle glasses from Lowes. I have worn the every day since then. Today I got the fist big scratch in them. They fell off while looking underneath a table and I stumbled onto them. Luckily the scratches are not in my direct line of vision or they would be in the trash. Looking very closely at the surface I can see some very minor scratches in my line of sight but with them on they are invisible.

They are very resistant to fogging and very comfortable to wear. They also happen to fit nicely, without pressure points, with my helmet on. Another huge plus in my book is that with them on I can't see any of the edges of the lens or any hardware. Nothing at all in my peripherals to distract me and give me headaches. Just clear vision.

The only thing I wish is that they were photochromic. I'm in and out all day long. They are a shade too dark inside and a shade too light out in the sun.

These have far surpassed any other set of safety glasses that I have owned. They have my recommendation.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_526143-54667-40206L_1z0w5inZ1z0x593__?productId=50056647&pl=1

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
7/20/15 10:09 p.m.

Bolle' ? Ate high end wear them and enj9y

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/15 10:14 a.m.

I was going to say Uvex. When I had to wear safety glasses I loved my Uvex.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/21/15 10:25 a.m.

Gave up on safety glasses years ago.

I wear prescription glasses, I just buy the polycarb lenses every couple years.

I can't see the benefit to wearing safety glasses I can't see out of. I swear the companies that make safety glasses actually try to make the worst optics possible.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
7/21/15 12:02 p.m.

i use whatever is free at work.. i've been at my current machinist job for 16 months now, and i'm on my second pair of whatever they get in bulk. no scratches yet but the little nose piece thingies are starting to lose their grip with the little nubs that hold them in place..

jstand
jstand HalfDork
7/21/15 1:40 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Gave up on safety glasses years ago. I wear prescription glasses, I just buy the polycarb lenses every couple years. I can't see the benefit to wearing safety glasses I can't see out of. I swear the companies that make safety glasses actually try to make the worst optics possible.

I have a pair of prescription safety glasses for that very reason.

Years ago I had to do a field job and couldnt be on the site without safety glasses, so after a couple long days with glasses over glasses I broke down and got prescription safety glasses.

They keep my regular glasses from getting scratched and are shaped to follow almost as good as goggles. They even have a foam pad to seal against my forehead.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/21/15 1:43 p.m.

10 pack from HF. It's less than $10. Discard as soon as you scratch them. Also, the $1.99 full face shield is great. I don't mean great in that it's awesome... just that it's $1.99. I buy a whole armload.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/21/15 1:45 p.m.

Granger gave me some sweet ones with ear plugs attached. That is all. Carry on.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
7/21/15 2:53 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: They are a shade too dark inside and a shade too light out in the sun.

Congrats, you have all the benefits of photochromatic glasses and none of the costs. At least, all the ones I've ever paid good money for leave me feeling the same exact way.

I go the route of cheap and often, both in the home shop and in the chem lab at work.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
7/21/15 4:32 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Interesting, I'd still like to try a pair just to see for myself.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/19 5:10 p.m.

Resurrecting this thread as I need to order some prescription safety glasses for both shop and lawn (tinted) use. Any other suggestions as to where to look/styles that you use and like?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
1/15/19 6:02 p.m.

Get the impact-rated frames (ANSI Z87-2+ for prescription glasses), and polycarbonate lenses, which should have the manufacturer's mark on the lens. 

Side shields should be integral to the frame, not slip-on or clip-on.  

I like the Onguard 220S style.  There are lots of sources online.  If you wear bifocals, the lenses get more complicated to order.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/15/19 6:06 p.m.

Well, you can use SportRX.com--they'd be my first stop if you have any bit of a budget. 

Next you can use Zenni.com. $15 to get a pair of safety glasses, the ones below would be $40 when you add in Polycarbonate lenses; $60 with Trivex. Personally, I'd stick with SportRx, but in any case I try to get Trivex in all my glasses as it is (a) the lightest material, (b) optically superior to everything except glass, (c) as impact resitent as Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is MUCH cheaper though--at least at most places other than Zenni. 

https://www.zennioptical.com/b/sports-glasses

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/19 6:18 p.m.

I still have the set I bought from rx-safety.com back in 2015. I still haven't scratched them. I also order my regular glasses with polycarbonate lenses just in case. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LxUnen6H59WFDUcqJMIX4nahG4tGSbLOloZoA8z9e1H4mhIRWeF1BMuwte7mND50