1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/25/18 2:04 p.m.

I got my carry permit last year and I would like to have some sort of secure storage for a pistol in my Grand Cherokee. I don't carry daily but often do on road trips (where legal) and when exploring remote areas. There are times I need to leave the pistol in the vehicle but I want something that's actually secure. I wont leave a gun in the truck permanently. This weeken we're driving 180 miles to the coast to stay with friends. I'd like to have the gun for the trip but there are kids in the house and I'll be out on the boat.  I will not leave a gun in a house or my truck (even locked) around kids. If I had a safe in the truck I could secure the weapon.

I've looked at the inexpensive pistol safes with the cable locks, but in doubtful of their fortitude. I want something that is secure even if the truck is compromised. Not sure about other hard mount options. I'd love to mount one in place of the factory radio amp under the back seat. 

Any suggestions?

Fitting a Glock 27 btw.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/25/18 2:08 p.m.

I have a simple tool steel lock box i picked up at the gun shop. Bolted to the floor in the impala. I dont luke the bolts because someone could cut them. Never came up with a better solution though, and i figure it slows the criminals down enough.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/25/18 2:14 p.m.

I like the ones that fit under the seat just because they're out of sight. They're generally about 60 to 70 dollars and you can find ones that'll bolt under the seat rails. It's tough to be discrete with them though.

There's others that replace the lower part of the center console then you refit the trim to the top. They're generally a lot more expensive.

If you have a pile of cash to light on fire talk to UltraSmith.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/25/18 2:14 p.m.

Wilmar/Performance Tool PN: W53998. Maybe not the most high end solution, but should be pretty good.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/25/18 2:37 p.m.

What about one of the pushbutton drawer safes?  There are some that are mechanical.  You lay your hand on it and push the buttons in the right sequence, the door pops open.  Made for handguns.  Get that, drill holes in it, mount it to the floor with tamper resistant bolts, etc. going up into nuts inside. 

We're talking about keeping little fingers out of it mainly, right?  That should do it. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/25/18 2:50 p.m.

Keep in mind that in some states, just having any type of hidden compartment if discovered by the police may be grounds for them to take your vehicle under the guise of civil forfeiture and then you would have to sue them to try to get it back. I think Ohio is one of the states that has this type of nonsense law.

Not saying to not get a safe in your vehicle, just saying to check out and understand the laws in your state that go along with it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/25/18 3:21 p.m.

Absolutely will double check laws for states of travel, but I do that for carry anyway.

A bolt in solution is probably what I'm looking for, not just for little fingers but also if I decide to eat in a restaurant or go in somewhere that bans carry. I'm always nervous about someone breaking into the truck in that situation if I leave the gun.

I'll look at some of the brands linked, thanks!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
5/25/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Same here. I can't carry at work, but Indiana law is written that your vehicle is your private property so I can store in there while inside. But the 78 has no place to store it and it's easier to break into than a screen door. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/25/18 3:45 p.m.

If you're concerned about discreteness under the seat, camoflage the face of it. Cardboard,  crud, broken bits, etc...

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
5/25/18 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm looking into consoles (when I go to buckets) and installing a lock-box in the bottom with a key. Also, there are some year GMT800's that have keyed consoles that lock. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/25/18 4:06 p.m.

Weatherguard makes  some real burly thick gauge sheet metal ones, often seen in commercial vans. Actually, Weatherguard might be a place for ultraclyde to look as well.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/25/18 4:13 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If you're concerned about discreteness under the seat, camoflage the face of it. Cardboard,  crud, broken bits, etc...

It's more leaning over the center console and under the adjacent seat that gets me. It's way less obvious to reach into the center console.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/18 7:48 p.m.

Quadratec used to sell locking steel inserts for the plastic center consoles of Wranglers that bolted through the floor. Maybe they have something for the Cherokees too. No fancy padding inside though. 

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/25/18 9:47 p.m.

My dad has one (I believe from Quadratec) in his Wrangler.  It bolts down under the seat using all four seat bolts.  It's key locked.  Theoretically, you could steal the box by pulling out the seat, but it would be pretty obvious to try to do it in public.  It's tucked up under the seat and not easily visible from outside the vehicle.  He loves it.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/26/18 12:16 a.m.

Www.tuffyproducts.com

May help some of y'all out.  Us 4wd enthusiasts (Full Size Bronco for me) get these for when type he top is off

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/18 9:04 a.m.

+padlock.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/26/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

They have a foam kit at Academy Sports that is designed to hold a handgun and extra mags for .50 ammo cans.  But you still have to weld a ring on it that fits through the slots of the flap to lock it

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/26/18 2:51 p.m.

I thought about an ammo can and a good lock. Do you think thats more or less tamper resistant than the cable lock safe?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/26/18 3:08 p.m.

I'd say that depends on how you lock it, and if you don't make or leave any holes in the can  its water tight

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/18 3:09 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

depends on your locking situation. I'd think plenty secure to keep young hands out with just a masterlock. Bonus points for making it your armrest/ center console.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/26/18 3:11 p.m.

If a bad person can get into your car, they can get into a cable lock gun "vault"  although my exlerience is wih the inexpensive kind so there may be better quality out there.  The one my wife uses I could probably get into with a HF flat head screwdriver unless it was cabled in a manner I couldn't get it out from under the seat

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/26/18 3:14 p.m.

My wife may or may not work near or in an elementary school so our/her precautions are for children's safety not as much to prevent the theft of a $200 gun.  Although as owner/carriers we feel an important part of exercising our 2nd is not letting our legally obtained firearms fall into the wrong hands

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/26/18 4:00 p.m.
Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/26/18 5:22 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

That is really good stuff, if your car isn't listed there's a universal model too.  Skip the ammo cans and cable things, spend the 2 bills and get what Fasted58 listed

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/26/18 5:26 p.m.

The Bestop one for Jeeps is pretty universal and @$75.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KdgsypvWkdteV47ymBhBIcPy4LgunXjBKKLSPphn8XU4MUxHTjzCcoIYAQjrsIwk