Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/24/09 1:51 p.m.

I could use the knowledge/wisdom/expertise of GRM'ers in the Washington DC area. I am trying to help a friend of mine. Another friend of hers who lived in DC died last December. My friend is the executor of her estate.

She need to sell a a 5 year old car from the estate. She lives here in the San Francisco Bay area and is making periodic trips to DC to take care of various legal matters. Thus she has a limited amount of time on the ground. Here are a couple of questions that she has.

1. The title is probably in the estate records but has not been located yet. If it isn't found, what is the process for selling a fairly new car without a title?

2. Assuming the title is found, do you have any suggestions for where and how to sell a car quickly for reasonable money? Dealership? Auctions? Other?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/24/09 1:54 p.m.

For quick sale, I'd say that it's worth taking the car to Carmax. Oh, and drive a couple of blocks around Carmax. Many locations have another similar business nearby that will pay MORE than Carmax. Might not be much, but more is more. I know that there is one in Laurel like that, on Route 1. Of course, the title will need to be found. Now, when you say DC, are we talking DC, MD or VA, as many people cluster portions of the latter two with the first.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/24/09 2:20 p.m.

You may find some answers at www.DMV.org
From there you can pick your state and get more details.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/24/09 2:35 p.m.

The person who died resided in DC proper and not the Virginia or Maryland suburbs.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/24/09 2:48 p.m.

If your friend formally inherited the car, I found this on www.dmv.org for DC.

http://www.dmv.org/washington-dc/title-transfers.php

Inheriting a Vehicle

Bring the following to any DMV service center:

An assignment of ownership completed by a designated executor. An authenticated copy of the letters testamentary or administration issued to the representative by an appropriate court. A completed Application for a Certificate of Title. Payment for $26 title fee.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/24/09 5:20 p.m.

She is the designated executor of the will/estate. She is needing to sell the car so money can be inherited by others.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
3/24/09 5:36 p.m.

Not even remotely a lawyer, but has the Will gone through probate yet?

Can she get a duplicate Title with POA by being the Executor of the estate? Tell her to check for the registration in the glovebox and take it from there.

I wouldn't look for any quick remedies.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/24/09 5:38 p.m.

Your friend is the designated executor of the estate. She can pull a duplicate title.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
3/25/09 7:43 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Your friend is the designated executor of the estate. She can pull a duplicate title.

And she likely cannot sell it until the will is in probate.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/24/09 9:08 a.m.
Assuming the title is found, do you have any suggestions for where and how to sell a car quickly for reasonable money? Dealership? Auctions? Other?

I can't help with the other stuff, but local auctions are a GREAT way to dump a car quick. Drop off the car, set the reserve, get a phone call or a check the next day.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
4/24/09 2:01 p.m.

Have her check with her lawyer. QED

Jay
Jay SuperDork
2/27/11 2:42 p.m.

Wow, I was all ready to call canoe on "priestess" up there, then I realized it was a necropost from 2009. I scroll down to the bottom and whaddayaknow! Brought back by another canoe. Sheesh.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
enK1WigK7uU1yg0dySs3Hk5lUiHWm5rifQ7lYbXnjM4OMouCsItzHwPt2L9zS74H