1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/10/19 9:01 p.m.

Welders, tanks, pieces of steel for projects, John Deere signs?  Sure I am interested in your Wheel Horse mower.  

Properly wound cords and chains hanging on the wall, air compresser in the back, and a bungee cord collection?  Gives me more confidence in your $4,500 Corvette.

You?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/10/19 9:03 p.m.

I told this guy I was only interested in the Datsun 510 in the background.  It isn't his 510. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/11/19 5:47 a.m.

I never post sale shots with my shop interior in the background if I can help it. I don't like to advertise for thieves. Admittedly, it would be pretty hard to track down where the photo was taken but why chance it? IF a random CL buyer gets to come to my house I meet them in the driveway with the item. I dont let Randos into my shop or home until I've had a chance to evaluate them. 

Of course GRMers are pretty much welcome anytime, lol.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/11/19 6:00 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

I never post sale shots with my shop interior in the background if I can help it. I don't like to advertise for thieves. Admittedly, it would be pretty hard to track down where the photo was taken but why chance it? IF a random CL buyer gets to come to my house I meet them in the driveway with the item. I dont let Randos into my shop or home until I've had a chance to evaluate them. 

Thank you,  youv'e been great to me.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/11/19 6:03 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

seeing shops that are Neat are Confidence building

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
1/11/19 6:40 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

it would be pretty hard to track down where the photo was taken

Actually, depending on your phone settings, they often embed GPS coordinates in the EXIF metadata.  Back when phone manufactures enabled this stuff by default, multiple selfie-loving celebrities revealed their home address to their social media followers.  Oops.

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/19 6:56 a.m.

I had a guy buy a Passat wagon from me.  He was skeptical about me doing the timing belt myself until he saw my shop.  Then it was a non-issue to him.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/11/19 7:13 a.m.

I want that Wheel Horse tractor. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 7:16 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

How convenient I want to sell mine in the spring 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
1/11/19 7:33 a.m.
mikeatrpi said:
ultraclyde said:

Actually, depending on your phone settings, they often embed GPS coordinates in the EXIF metadata.  Back when phone manufactures enabled this stuff by default, multiple selfie-loving celebrities revealed their home address to their social media followers.  Oops.

eBay, Craigslist and Facebook strip EXIF data. Flickr, Google Photo, and Tumblr do not strip EXIF data.

If any mods are present: does the GRM photo uploader strip EXIF data?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/11/19 8:29 a.m.

$350.  Central West Indiana 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 8:49 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

$350.  Central West Indiana 

Then I know a couple guys who either know the owner, or certainly know those tractors. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
1/11/19 8:49 a.m.

Woa! Learned something new this morning- EXIF data.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 9:36 a.m.
mikeatrpi said:
ultraclyde said:

And people in the military out on maneuvers.  Double oops.

"Where are the enemy troops?   Let's check Instagram..."

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/11/19 9:44 a.m.

Similarly, pics of the cars in driveways in front of upscale/nice well kept homes imply a lot more confidence that they had the budget to do maintenance and cared about such things.  

Nugi
Nugi Reader
1/11/19 10:01 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf :

Cmon, that shot of the 'needs nothing, drove it yesterday' asian car in waist-high brown grass strewn with rusty and rounded SAE wrenches, and random engine blocks littering the lawn is a sure-fire indicator you're gettin a fair and well-sorted deal. I mean, how could the previous owner have possibly been changing their oil regularly if their driveway isn't 3 shades of brown spots?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/11/19 10:14 a.m.

I guess I'd better not try to sell anything.  My garage is a clutter-fest.  I mean, you cannot safely walk from one end to the other without stepping around and over equipment, kid's toys, bicycles, and stuff.  I recognize it needs help. 

I am consoled by the saying "A tidy desk is a sure sign of a sick mind."  And by extension, "a tidy garage is a sure sign of a sick mind."  I can assure you that my mental health is A+ because my garage is any damn thing but tidy! laugh

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/11/19 12:47 p.m.

One time I posted a picture in a for sale ad that had the Halo truck in the background....that was a mistake.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/11/19 1:05 p.m.

I Have called plenty about "The Car In The Background"

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/11/19 1:22 p.m.
GTXVette said:
ultraclyde said:

Thank you,  youv'e been great to me.

Absolutely welcome! Like I said, GRMers get a pass. I know you guys. And usually I can read even a rando buyer well enough withing a couple minutes to know if they get the tour or not.

EastCoastMojo
1/11/19 5:55 p.m.

I don't know how confidence inspiring our shop is, but I just feel the need to post a pic of my Wheel Horse with the new fangled exhaust setup. It sounds goood. She is currently sporting her "winter cluster-berkeley" attachment.

Also, I have no idea if we embed EXIF data in pics, but GRMers are always welcome to hang and drink beer and talk about my tractor, if you can find me. cheeky

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
1/11/19 6:26 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I see nothing I'd kick out of the garage.

EastCoastMojo
1/11/19 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Lol. Three, count 'em, THREE motorcycles in there! Plus two welders, a charcoal grill, and a motor and transmission for a turbo dodge in there somewhere...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/19 7:25 p.m.

Since we're eye-ballin' everyone else's car holes, tell me more about the bikes.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/11/19 7:30 p.m.

at a guess you're somewhere along the eastern seaboard north of the Mason-Dixon line right? laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HKj6ue9lnPDpW37TmW8yHam71mKfKdjJcfuLLNXpNUkMqecpsgRF5fgkOyNOUyiQ