Knoray
Knoray
2/5/13 10:52 p.m.

Ello,

I will start by saying I do not care for the shift boot in the gen 1 Miata. I adore the car but I would like to change my boot. I was thinking a Volvo s60r type boot.

Anyone know how to make something like that, because all the materials I can think of would show signs of wear. I think that would be a clean and smart look for such a wonderful car.

If anyone has any knowledge on the subject, thanks in advance.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/6/13 9:23 a.m.

The NA Miata can come with either a vinyl, pleather, or leather boot depending on year/trim. All three look glossy and are quite thin. I imagine the S60R boot is an alcantara or microsuede type of material? The best way to replicate that is with a microfiber cloth. I've had good luck finding some at a local craft/fabric store, and bribing the MIL to do some sewing with the bigger machine. If you get something from the commercial/high-wear section, it should last a good long while. Another trick is to make sure the boot is sewn onto a backing. There are some good foams for this. That will help make it stronger, feel more plush, and keep out NVH.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
2/6/13 9:26 a.m.

My 'rolla (and Samurai) came stock with a "rubber accordion" boot that still looks like new. It's my favorite style of boot.

Here's the closest option to that on a Miata:

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/21-interior-sponsored-rev9-autosport/52335-audi-tt-shift-boot-miata.html

Unfortunately the folds face upwards and will collect dirt.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
2/6/13 9:32 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I imagine the S60R boot is an alcantara or microsuede type of material?

Not even close.

Otherwise, if you don't want to or don't have the skills to make a leather one for yourself like Javelin was describing, I recommend Redlinegoods.com

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/6/13 9:42 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

I was thinking older/V70R. I had no idea the new one was a plastic ball.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
2/6/13 9:55 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to mtn: I was thinking older/V70R. I had no idea the new one was a plastic ball.

Not new (circa ~2004), and not plastic. I like it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
2/6/13 10:10 a.m.

boots are for sissies...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/6/13 10:47 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: boots are for sissies...

I love gated shifters. make one for my Grand Am ?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
2/6/13 11:02 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: boots are for sissies...

I love gated shifters. make one for my Grand Am ?

I love the look but dislike actually shifting them. When I shift I go in diagonal motions. It takes a lot more time to make three movements with two 90 degree turns.

Legend has it in the vintage sports car world that the gates were developed to slow down shifting on certain fragile transmissions. It doesn't sound too far fetched.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
2/6/13 11:07 a.m.

^ Yeah the gearbox already naturally has "gates," no need to make them bigger.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
2/6/13 1:47 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Grtechguy wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: boots are for sissies...

I love gated shifters. make one for my Grand Am ?

I love the look but dislike actually shifting them. When I shift I go in diagonal motions. It takes a lot more time to make three movements with two 90 degree turns.

Legend has it in the vintage sports car world that the gates were developed to slow down shifting on certain fragile transmissions. It doesn't sound too far fetched.

Cut diagonal reliefs to ease the shifts. There's a guy that builds modified gates for Ferrari's and the big change is just adding some 45 degree cuts to the end of "fingers" for the gate.

Our Preferred Partners
X3g6wnZQBmro9WRk62em680mFCOW1Q6e