Marciobalt
Marciobalt
5/29/13 8:08 p.m.

Ok so I bought a shifter kart for my garage and to start racing! I need help on how to start it it is a first kart frame with an sgm motor. From what I understand you put it in gear and put a strap on the tire and pull hard! I am one person so I cant push start so thats not an option. But i was wondering if you have to do anything else like open gas valves and stuff. Help im confused!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/29/13 8:26 p.m.

Being that this is your first post and its kind of late, I just suggest you get up nice and early to bump this thread in the morning. Must more active in the AM.

Good luck and welcome to the form. I warn you, its addictive.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/13 8:42 p.m.

Push it and then jump in? I do it all the time with my motorcycle.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/30/13 6:14 a.m.

I think thats what he said he couldn't do. Sounds like, no, just get that motor going and you're set, but you hard that from Slippery, not me.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
5/30/13 7:37 a.m.
Slippery wrote: Push it and then jump in? I do it all the time with my motorcycle.

lots easier to hop on a moving bike than it is to hop into a moving cart ... it's hard enough to get into a cart when it's sitting still

cwh
cwh PowerDork
5/30/13 7:40 a.m.

Battery powered drill on the crank nut? Works great on my lawnmower.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/13 7:55 a.m.

I was going to recommend you a motorcycle roller starter to make things easier, but I just searched around for prices and you "have to ask"

dinger
dinger Reader
5/30/13 8:23 a.m.

Put the rear end up on something high enough to get the back tires off the ground by just a few inches, then put the transmission in the highest gear it has. Wrap a strap around one of the back tires a few turns, and pull for all you're worth! Make sure that you have the strap wound so when you pull it, the tires turn forward. It's a two stroke, so it will start backwards if you get it wrong. Most karts are plumbed without a fuel shutoff or anything like that (just one more thing to go wrong). I like to use clear fuel line on my shifter, especially between the fuel pump and the carb, so I can visually check that fuel is flowing.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/13 8:27 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I think thats what he said he couldn't do. Sounds like, no, just get that motor going and you're set, but you hard that from Slippery, not me.

I know, I just think he needs to give it another shot.

Something like this:

http://youtu.be/CK6oo1avmy8

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/30/13 12:30 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Push it and then jump in? I do it all the time with my motorcycle.

That's how I've seen many a kart get started at auto-x events: push in N enough to get it moving; jump into the seat; pop it into gear; fire it up. I've read some newer karts have electric starters. I'm lazy, so I want one of those.

dinger
dinger Reader
5/30/13 1:09 p.m.

I push start my kart at auto-x events quite a bit. Put it in first, pull in the clutch, get it moving, pop the clutch, then jump in. I've only missed and had to superman it a few times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5o9YXvg6wdK7W6tFlfq9sAPnTWkGfMmO7r2ofEcr9Z7f9PpUjU1hY1QAu5yIGEdO