ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/7/08 11:27 a.m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1070975/Man-shot-times-street-racist-gunman--wearing-Barack-Obama-T-shirt.html

Guy gets shot for wearing an obama shirt, it's an Air gun and he's ok.. but I didn't expect this stuff in the UK....

weird.

sad sad sad.

Edit.. forgot put appropriate blame..

I blame... guns.. the media.. "new coke" and members only jackets..

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/7/08 11:34 a.m.

not trying to stir up crazy political crap.. just thought that this was nutty coming out of the UK.. Supposed to be much better with race relations there.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/7/08 11:44 a.m.
ignorant wrote: not trying to stir up crazy political crap.. just thought that this was nutty coming out of the UK.. Supposed to be much better with race relations there.

It's all a facade. Now that the UK is becoming as diverse as the U.S., expect much, much more of this. Look into how illegals sneeking down the Chunnel are treated.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 11:46 a.m.

I'm not as surprised by the racism in the UK, as I am by someone being bothered by a t-shirt promoting a foreign politician.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/7/08 11:50 a.m.

I dunno.. I Guess I've never been to London or the south in the UK. All my trips have been up north where my suppliers and home company are located.. maybe my frame of reference is skewed.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones New Reader
10/7/08 11:58 a.m.

Was it done by recovering smack addicts?

Sickboys-Unifying-Theory-of-Life

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/7/08 12:41 p.m.

The Brits have much more racism experience than we Colonists. Check out how things went with the natives in Africa and Australia or for that matter the early days of the British colonies here. Heck, the Brits hate the Irish (and vice versa) and for the most part they look just alike.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
10/7/08 12:50 p.m.

And they hate the Scots too.

WilD
WilD Reader
10/8/08 10:26 a.m.

Plus, its okay for their police to shoot Brazilians, aparantly for being brown.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/8/08 10:33 a.m.

It really strikes me as weird that everyone in the world says we have a racist society. Then you go elsewhere and all these groups hate each other: the Germans and the Turks, the British and just about everyone else, the Japanese and the Koreans and the Chinese, the sunni and Shiite Muslims, the different African tribes, the list goes on and on.

But of course it's OK to crap on the US because we are the Great Satan but we better not diss anyone else's hatred.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
10/8/08 10:42 a.m.

All of Europe is pretty bad about racism. Remember the riots in France a year or two ago. And if you have ever watched a soccer game there are almost always signs saying kick racism out of football.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/8/08 10:49 a.m.

[Tom Lehrer] Oh the Protestants hate the Catholics / And the Catholics hate the Protestants / And the Hindus hate the Muslims / and everybody hates the Jews / But during National Brotherhood Week... [/Tom Lehrer]

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/08 10:55 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: It really strikes me as weird that everyone in the world says we have a racist society. Then you go elsewhere and all these groups hate each other: the Germans and the Turks, the British and just about everyone else, the Japanese and the Koreans and the Chinese, the sunni and Shiite Muslims, the different African tribes, the list goes on and on. But of course it's OK to crap on the US because we are the Great Satan but we better not diss anyone else's hatred.

The difference is that the US claims to be a modern progressive country, way better than all those "backwards" places. The only places on your list that deserves similar blame is Japan/Korea (and Japan's extreme xenophobia to everybody else) and Britain. In Britain all the racist hatred and xenophobia is sharply focused on Middle Eastern immigrants, especially Muslims (and Obama with a middle-eastern sounding name and all those chain emails saying he's a Muslim going around, is probably not popular).

Oh after RTFAing I see no such mistake was made...well how about that It was a shaved head guy with a big dog (neonazi)

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/8/08 11:04 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Jensenman wrote: It really strikes me as weird that everyone in the world says we have a racist society. Then you go elsewhere and all these groups hate each other: the Germans and the Turks, the British and just about everyone else, the Japanese and the Koreans and the Chinese, the sunni and Shiite Muslims, the different African tribes, the list goes on and on. But of course it's OK to crap on the US because we are the Great Satan but we better not diss anyone else's hatred.
The difference is that the US claims to be a modern progressive country, way better than all those "backwards" places. The only places on your list that deserves similar blame is Japan/Korea (and Japan's extreme xenophobia to everybody else) and Britain. In Britain all the racist hatred and xenophobia is sharply focused on Middle Eastern immigrants, especially Muslims (and Obama with a middle-eastern sounding name and all those chain emails saying he's a Muslim going around, is probably not popular).

Okay. Show me state or federal sponsored religious or racial discrimination in the US.

Show me a Darfur type situation here in the States where the government is killing off 'rebels' who happen to belong to the wrong tribe.

Show me where a government leader in the US has referred to another country populated by a different race as a 'stinking corpse' and called for its erasure from the planet.

I'll make it easy: you won't be able to find state sponsored racism like that here in the States. I guaran- damn- tee you that you'll find it elsewhere, though.

Are there idiotic rednecks operating on their own? Yup. Not state sponsored though.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/8/08 12:10 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote:
Jensenman wrote: Okay. Show me state or federal sponsored religious or racial discrimination in the US.
Here's two: Affirmative Action and any college tuition grant program that has a race check box on the application. Programs specifically designed and in place to discriminate. Ain't the United States of Hypocrisy and Double-Standards grand?

You know, I had completely put that one out of my mind because I'm just so used to it. The funny thing: unlike the racism shown by other countries' governments which is designed to destroy and eradicate, this one is supposed to 'level the playing field'. Bad policy but good intentions.

seann
seann Reader
10/8/08 12:54 p.m.
Jensenman wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Okay. Show me state or federal sponsored religious or racial discrimination in the US. Show me a Darfur type situation here in the States where the government is killing off 'rebels' who happen to belong to the wrong tribe. Show me where a government leader in the US has referred to another country populated by a different race as a 'stinking corpse' and called for its erasure from the planet. I'll make it easy: you won't be able to find state sponsored racism like that here in the States. I guaran- damn- tee you that you'll find it elsewhere, though. Are there idiotic rednecks operating on their own? Yup. Not state sponsored though.

"one man, one woman" not technically racism but to many (myself included) it is very similar.

That being said, I agree that it is ingnorant to say that racism is mainly an American problem.

JasonI
JasonI None
10/12/08 9:08 a.m.

It's ok as long as they only hate the Irish.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/12/08 11:44 a.m.

I'm proud of my Irish heritage, and have also read the history of my people. The real scary part is that the Palestinians share a lot of similarities. And the Brits were there for both.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZlhZQF14gA2EEQkBp21PJJm6GXm9kjF76mgbXPgWSJFYY7W4GOU0trSBtTKOcSMO