1 2
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 11:33 a.m.

I have a lower spec netbook, but it is compatible with windows 10 (specs of computer) I did the upgrade, which is notoriously buggy and slows down computers. So.. My computer is slow. I has a hard time streaming and it just has some difficulty just being a damned computer.

I have two choices:

  1. Setup a boot usb with the media creation tool, and do a clean wipe.

  2. Roll back to windows 8.1 as I'm in the window. Windows 8.1 with classic shell did everything I needed.. dunno why I upgraded..

What do you guys think? I don't know enough about this stuff anymore.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
12/5/15 11:55 a.m.

Ubuntu or Mint Linux and ditch Micro$haft altogether. Seriously.

Download them and load them on a USB and try it out before you make any changes.

Barring that I guess I would rollback to 8.1

Or perhaps you could make it a hackintosh? Sort of a best of both worlds thing.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 11:58 a.m.

I have a barely computer literate wife. She dosent know what a folder is not an app. A non Microsoft product won't work and I have no time to fix random E36 M3. It's just needs to work.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
12/5/15 12:12 p.m.

Try it before you E36 M3 on it.

The interface is stupid simple and it generally just berkeleying works.

New interfaces are available as well so you could make it look like Windblows or Crapple, etc.

If YOU want to berkeley with it, then go for it as there's a ton of E36 M3 to berkeley with behind the scene.

Just trying to berkeleying help dude, you're the one that's afraid of change or teaching your wife, which is not my berkeleying problem.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 12:18 p.m.

I'm not screwing with you. Linux isn't going to work.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/5/15 12:28 p.m.

This may not be your issue, but I know all my windows machines in the house are really really really bad about staying connected, crap-just really bad about all things wifi. The apple machines, the android machines, and the Amazon machine all kick the widows machines off of the wifi. Turn one of those on and the widows stuff starts dropping its connection. Windows seems absolutely intolerant of even the slightest strength fluctuation. Is it possible in 10 to mess with WiFi settings to make it more tolerant of fluctuating WiFi?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 12:42 p.m.

That's a fair point. It does have the worst connectivity of all my devices.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/5/15 2:58 p.m.

Personally I'd go buy new install media to get a fresh Windows 7 install on the thing. I did not enjoy the brief amount of time I spent with 8 and 10 looks like a further refinement of 8.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 3:28 p.m.

I can't roll back to win 7 as the computer came with win 8 originally. Win 8.1 with classic she'll installed was an improvement over 7 at least visually.

Mike
Mike Dork
12/5/15 3:42 p.m.

Before I upgraded to Windows 10, I made Windows 8.1 restore media. The Windows 10 upgrade process keeps the data needed to roll back for only thirty days. I don't like that restriction, so having Windows 8.1 on a USB drive is nice. I think you need either a 4 or 8GB drive for this, and I think my local Walgreens has a candy bucket filled with 8GB drives at the photo counter for something like $7.

On my 8.1 tablet, I did a factory restore before the 10 upgrade, and didn't really like how the upgrade was running, so I did a Windows 10 restore. I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but it seems to run a little faster now. In the five minutes I've had to use it, it seems snappier, but it stopped rotating. I'll probably break it out this evening if I have time a good Wi-Fi handy to see if it tries downloading some drivers.

Mike
Mike Dork
12/5/15 3:44 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: This may not be your issue, but I know all my windows machines in the house are really really really bad about staying connected, crap-just really bad about all things wifi. The apple machines, the android machines, and the Amazon machine all kick the widows machines off of the wifi. Turn one of those on and the widows stuff starts dropping its connection. Windows seems absolutely intolerant of even the slightest strength fluctuation. Is it possible in 10 to mess with WiFi settings to make it more tolerant of fluctuating WiFi?

I've never seen this. It kinda sounds like something wonky is happening with the Wi-Fi access point. My first guess would be DHCP lease problems.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 4:04 p.m.
Mike wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: This may not be your issue, but I know all my windows machines in the house are really really really bad about staying connected, crap-just really bad about all things wifi. The apple machines, the android machines, and the Amazon machine all kick the widows machines off of the wifi. Turn one of those on and the widows stuff starts dropping its connection. Windows seems absolutely intolerant of even the slightest strength fluctuation. Is it possible in 10 to mess with WiFi settings to make it more tolerant of fluctuating WiFi?

I've never seen this. It kinda sounds like something wonky is happening with the Wi-Fi access point. My first guess would be DHCP lease problems.

So this is interesting... My work computer, a dinosaur Lenovo T430 with an SSD, gets 22mb/s over the wifi. My S210 lenovo gets 10 MB/s in the same location when both tested by speakeasy.net. WTF?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 4:06 p.m.
Mike wrote: Before I upgraded to Windows 10, I made Windows 8.1 restore media. The Windows 10 upgrade process keeps the data needed to roll back for only thirty days. I don't like that restriction, so having Windows 8.1 on a USB drive is nice. I think you need either a 4 or 8GB drive for this, and I think my local Walgreens has a candy bucket filled with 8GB drives at the photo counter for something like $7. On my 8.1 tablet, I did a factory restore before the 10 upgrade, and didn't really like how the upgrade was running, so I did a Windows 10 restore. I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but it seems to run a little faster now. In the five minutes I've had to use it, it seems snappier, but it stopped rotating. I'll probably break it out this evening if I have time a good Wi-Fi handy to see if it tries downloading some drivers.

I have my drive partitioned with Win 8.1 restore on it, so restoring is simple

Did you do a full restore as in a wipe of the system or just a restore keeping your files?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
12/5/15 4:29 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
Mike wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: This may not be your issue, but I know all my windows machines in the house are really really really bad about staying connected, crap-just really bad about all things wifi. The apple machines, the android machines, and the Amazon machine all kick the widows machines off of the wifi. Turn one of those on and the widows stuff starts dropping its connection. Windows seems absolutely intolerant of even the slightest strength fluctuation. Is it possible in 10 to mess with WiFi settings to make it more tolerant of fluctuating WiFi?

I've never seen this. It kinda sounds like something wonky is happening with the Wi-Fi access point. My first guess would be DHCP lease problems.

So this is interesting... My work computer, a dinosaur Lenovo T430 with an SSD, gets 22mb/s over the wifi. My S210 lenovo gets 10 MB/s in the same location when both tested by speakeasy.net. WTF?

Check that you have the latest drivers. When I upgraded my wife's laptop to Win10, it didn't install the latest drivers and that did make a difference.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 4:51 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Windows tells me I have the most up to date drivers for my WLAN card. The work computer still gives me 22MB/s and the netbook gives me 10 MB/s. They are sitting right next to each other and did back to back tests.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/5/15 5:39 p.m.

Switch the order and try again?

Mike
Mike Dork
12/5/15 5:54 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Windows tells me I have the most up to date drivers for my WLAN card. The work computer still gives me 22MB/s and the netbook gives me 10 MB/s. They are sitting right next to each other and did back to back tests.

"Netbook" sounds like 802.11g. What's the work laptop, and what standard is the router?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 6:57 p.m.
Mike wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Windows tells me I have the most up to date drivers for my WLAN card. The work computer still gives me 22MB/s and the netbook gives me 10 MB/s. They are sitting right next to each other and did back to back tests.

"Netbook" sounds like 802.11g. What's the work laptop, and what standard is the router?

router is b/g/n

work computer is same.

spec on Lenovo netbook says b/g/n

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/5/15 7:14 p.m.

Ever since VISTA, Microsoft has been unable to find a firm footing. Every time they finally mange to stabilize a platform, they follow it with a new piece of swampland real-estate-software. I don't get it. With Microsoft, "new" never=better.

Buy a Mac. You will forget all about the endless Windows stuff.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/5/15 8:14 p.m.

Ok. Found something out. The wifi card manufacturer is defunct and all the drivers are out of date. I found a website that has unofficial drivers, installed and the speeds came up to close to the big computers speed. 18 mb/s

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/5/15 8:25 p.m.

Wohoo!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/6/15 12:12 a.m.

Just ordered a cheap wifi extender to help with some of the connection issues.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/16/16 2:38 p.m.

Figured out how to roll back to Windows 8. Wiped computer. Installed powershell. Much faster and useable.

Still not that fast because it is a crappy computer.

Mike
Mike Dork
1/16/16 3:54 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Figured out how to roll back to Windows 8. Wiped computer. Installed powershell. Much faster and useable. Still not that fast because it is a crappy computer.

Just to clarify - Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

I ask because Windows 8 support ended on Tuesday. No more security fixes. 8.1 is a free upgrade, and you should move to that.

Microsoft is treating 8.1 like 8.0, Service Pack 1. Operating systems lacking the latest service pack lose support 24 months after the new Service Pack reaches general availability.

Which is clear as mud, since 8.1 isn't called a service pack, since 8.1 reached GA more than 24 months ago, and since it distributes, last I looked, through the App Store.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/16/16 4:06 p.m.

It rolled back to 8, but I intend to upgrade to 8.1. 8.1 and powershell work for me. Windows 10 just didn't work on that computer and the 10 upgrade distro is buggy as sin.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
CFE5ek2paqCvUQqM4okcU2nwg5qBSXc1THbsFRlMT5Q3wRxFQKQzN7SzFzUD69Xv