1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/25/13 2:50 p.m.

Thread from 2013

Yeah, its another "Learn Me" thread. My old winter coat decided to have the linings in its pockets self destruct to the point stuff was getting lost inside it, and my wife said she wouldn't be able to properly fix it. Being as its winter, I looked around, and just ended up with a cheap $20 coat to make it through the season. But, I've wanted a bomber jacket for ages. Went looking, and the department store stuff is pretty expensive, and the leather seems so thin it'd tear if I snagged it on anything, not too mention pretty darned expensive. Went online, and found some places that sell what I want, and some of them are actually made in the USA, but I still don't know what constitutes a "good" jacket. With the kind of money this is going to cost, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what I should be looking for. I want something that will basically be a "forever" jacket, so if it needs to be sturdy, and capable of being mended if need be. The other problem of course, is I'm a little leery of buying clothes online. Would rather be able to test fit. Anyone know of anywhere in the OH, KY, IN area that might sell these in stores?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/13 2:55 p.m.

I buy all my stuff at the thrift store, so I'm not much help. I have seen nice leather jackets (bomber style) at the thrift stores, but never in my size.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
1/25/13 2:57 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I buy all my stuff at the thrift store, so I'm not much help. I have seen nice leather jackets (bomber style) at the thrift stores, but never in my size.

I'm usually a size 44 or 46. Any cool stuff at the thrift store in my size gone as soon as it hits the rack. I wouldn't object to buying used, but I don't want one that is too "pre-weathered"

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/25/13 3:10 p.m.

Most malls have a Wilson leather store that may be better quality than department store stuff. Still kinda pricey though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/25/13 3:17 p.m.

For $109 (you have to select a size to see the real price... 109 for Large) and free shipping I'd take a chance on this one if I was trying to look like Col. Hogan.

218 reviews say it's atleast a decent bet.

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Flight-Leather-Bomber-Jacket/dp/B000XP0FDY/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/25/13 3:59 p.m.

My $100 eBay Alpinestars motorcycle leather jacket is made very well of extremely thick leather. It fits me well - it might not fit you so well.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/25/13 3:59 p.m.

If you can afford them, this is the best: http://www.langlitz.com/ They don't put pricing on their website, so you have to call or request a catalog. I had a custom motorcycle jacket made there years ago and it was amazing - unfortunately it got stolen.

edit: I looked at eBay and there are a number of used Langlitz jackets for sale, they appear to start in the $500 range.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/25/13 4:02 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Most malls have a Wilson leather store that may be better quality than department store stuff. Still kinda pricey though.

those stores are still around? i bought a black leather biker jacket from them back in '92 that i've still got... it hasn't fit me for about 15 years- it started shrinking in my mid 20's right when all my other clothes started shrinking- but it still looks good despite me not exactly being "nice" to it or actually taking care of it while i actually wore it. that jacket kept me warm for 5 or 6 winters and was well worth the $100 i paid for it..

now i'm all about the Carhartt jackets... i'm currently in the middle of what i think will be the last winter that i get out of the one i bought on Black Friday back in '05..

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/13 4:03 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: If you can afford them, this is the best: http://www.langlitz.com/ They don't put pricing on their website, so you have to call or request a catalog. I had a custom motorcycle jacket made there years ago and it was amazing - unfortunately it got stolen. edit: I looked at eBay and there are a number of used Langlitz jackets for sale, they appear to start in the $500 range.

Is not listing prices the new way of a company saying "If you have to ask you cant afford it"?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
1/25/13 4:13 p.m.

No more Wilson leather places around me, unless there's one at one of the malls I haven't been to in ages. I was looking at spending anywhere from 250-450 or so. Would really like one in the A-2 flight jacket style. I do already have an okay leather motorcycle jacket, but the pocket openings are smaller than I like, and the zipper teeth for them are pretty sharp. Great for when I'm on a bike, but not so great for general use.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
1/25/13 4:29 p.m.

Me too ECM. Dunno if you guys have "Value Village" down there, but I've bought some first rate coats (Columbia down, Cashmere Pea Jacket, Hugo Boss, etc) in great shape. I started shopping in 2nd hand stores as a teenager, and just never stopped. I don't clothing shop in malls ever... but have bought the odd item on ebay. It is hard to know what's going to fit, but you could try on some brands to find what looks best, and then search for them online.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
1/25/13 4:45 p.m.

I bought one this past fall from the thrift store. It has been very warm and fits me perfectly. It looks better pre-weathered as well compared to a new jacket, at least I think so. But I may have picked one that was too far gone in its life so I think it will only make it one winter.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/13 4:52 p.m.

You can't beat the real article. Find a local Army/Navy store.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/25/13 4:55 p.m.

When it comes to things like biker jackets, bomber jackets and peacoats, weight tells you everything you need to know.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
1/25/13 4:56 p.m.
Javelin wrote: You can't beat the real article. Find a local Army/Navy store.

I'll have to check the area for them. Not sure if they are still issued, but I did find a supplier online who makes them, and several other military jackets. Definitely want to see if I can try something on first.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/25/13 5:03 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
Javelin wrote: You can't beat the real article. Find a local Army/Navy store.
I'll have to check the area for them. Not sure if they are still issued, but I did find a supplier online who makes them, and several other military jackets. Definitely want to see if I can try something on first.

My Navy-issue bomber jacket sucks for keeping you warm. Looking cool? No problems. The jacket is literally a thick chrome leather with a liner. No insulation. You have to layer like a bastard to keep warm in a Sacramento 40 degree winter.
My latest was a Kohls calvin kline wool pea coat. Bad ass and $100. I'm not a stylish guy, but if you watch "A view from the bridge" with Marlon in his heydey- that's the look. A dope-ass black wool watch cap, and the wool pea coat. Tough from when tough was really tough. This is a jacket that when you turn up the collar, it's because it's berkeleying cold.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/13 5:08 p.m.

All bomber jackets should have leather collars and leather cuffs. I consider any jacket with elastic fabric cuffs and collar to be insincere.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
1/25/13 5:22 p.m.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/23787?feat=593-GN1&page=flying-tiger-jacket-wool-insulated

I asked my Mother to buy me one of these for Christmas in about 1983, because I outgrew my uncle Kens WW2 era RCAF horsehide/sheepskin bomber, and i wanted one, dammit . Expensive. Still about the same price, actually...I have worn the heck out of it for 30 years. The elastic cuffs are shot now, but the sheepskin and leather is still perfect.

And to the respondent who says elastic on the cuffs is wrong, I say not according to the RCAF.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
1/25/13 5:51 p.m.
Woody wrote: All bomber jackets should have leather collars and leather cuffs. I consider any jacket with elastic fabric cuffs and collar to be insincere.

Pre-war eh?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/25/13 5:54 p.m.

Mine is exactly like that LL Bean above. Except not as nice and no sheepskin. It's a Coast Guard issued pilot and aircrew jacket (with military stock no.). It has the rat fur collar, and elastic cuffs. Real E36 M3. There are a million varieties that meet the same mil spec, and nicer versions (like that LL Bean) that exceed.

The Chair Force (that's with love, man) doesn't have the fur collar or elastic cuffs.

If you weren't (or aren't) a pilot, the "real" judgment has zero credibility. Find a CG Herk pilot, and look at their jacket. Bad as berkeley, but yes, it has elastic cuffs.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/13 7:25 p.m.

I agree, the elastic cuffs ruin the look. Put me in the pre-war column.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/13 7:40 p.m.

You might try Khols. I'm pretty sure that where mine came from. Off the top of my head it was in the $70 range. It's almost too warm for down here. Real thick leather, lined and HEAVY.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/25/13 8:05 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

I still have my Wilson's leather MC jacket I got in high school. About 1987. It's beat to hell, all of the pockets are blown out, some are ripped, but thick leather that is now softly worn in. I stopped wearing it in the late 90's when the seams on the sleaves came apart.

I've been looking for a place to get it fixed. I don't want a new jacket. I work with guys younger than that jacket...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
1/25/13 8:31 p.m.

Okay, I like that LL Bean one. Wish they had a store closer to me than Pittsburgh. That might still be an option, though. Will still seek out Army/Navy stores.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/25/13 8:34 p.m.

Wilson's leather has thick, thin and in between. I wouldn't buy one online, since my "heavy" is most people's "oh my god, how do you wear that". Second hand or closeout for me these days.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K0WAIfVx9x4cdHTGqUxVEy29CZhUuIkKaP8gPLzuV3aaa8vkKRbSgQvJsQ29sG9y