1 2
Buttfacerton
Buttfacerton New Reader
12/8/08 5:31 p.m.

all this talk and no one sez iceracing? low speed poor traction and fun!

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
12/8/08 7:29 p.m.

Detroit Region SCCA this past Saturday

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/08 8:03 p.m.

I didn't wear a jacket today, just a tee shirt and jeans. Thought you all should know.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/08 8:30 p.m.

crown vic + new general altimax arctic snow tires = i beat the snow the other night when everyone else was sliding and in the ditches.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
12/8/08 9:58 p.m.
ArtOfRuin wrote: We had our first "snow" yesterday (it was more like a dusting; very little accumulation). So far, our winter has been pretty mild, although today it's only 10F with windchill of 0F. More importantly, they haven't salted the roads yet, so I can still drive my RX-7 without fear of having its underside corroded away. Unfortunatly, I have to keep it operational at least through part of this winter so I can make sure my repairs and mods work. I fixed my RX-7's thermostat on Saturday in the cold, which I'm pretty proud of since I've never fixed one before. I'm hoping to get at least a little snow. I haven't been sideways in my Subaru for a while!

I don't know where exactly you live in MA,but they sure salted the heck out of the roads down in south-eastern MA yesterday/today. I don't think my RX-7,or REPU will see the light of day for 3-4 months now.

By the way we are still in Fall/Autumn,whatever you call it.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
12/9/08 9:21 a.m.

24 degrees out this morning and not one damn flake of snow.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
12/9/08 9:47 a.m.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=alerts&placecode=caon0512&region=wwcaon0012

914Driver
914Driver Dork
12/9/08 10:33 a.m.

Andre', when my son was about your daughter's age my wife and I were really into cross country skiing. I made a box 20 X 30 inches, open at the front and 1/3 the way down each side. I put that on 6 inch tall uprights and mounted the whole thing to a set of garage sale down hill skis. I put eye bolts at each ski tip and made a harness out of web belting. Kid loved it!

Later I put non-skid grippy pads at the rear of the ski, behind the back of the box. We went down a few bunny hills with me on back braking; because of the skis this thing out flew any sled or toboggan.

I don't have any pictures of it, but I still have the box minus skis. I found some K2s last year. It's up in the garage attic waiting for grandkids to be abused.

If you do this, my only tip is to find the center of balance for the box with your daughter's approximate weight in it, then find the center of the ski. This makes it ride and pull much easier.

Dan

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/9/08 11:48 a.m.

19 inches on my deck (and in my driveway) this morning here in SW Colorado. Guess I know what I'll be doing most of the day. Sure glad I'm retired and don't have to go to town today.

But it is GORGEOUS!

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
12/9/08 4:15 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I don't know where exactly you live in MA,but they sure salted the heck out of the roads down in south-eastern MA yesterday/today. I don't think my RX-7,or REPU will see the light of day for 3-4 months now. By the way we are still in Fall/Autumn,whatever you call it.

I live in the Merrimack Valley (on the state line with NH). So far, no salt in my town. I did notice that the roads in the town where I work have been pretty heavily salted recently, but I don't plan on driving the RX-7 there anytime soon. At least not without coating the undersides with Waxoyl or used motor oil.

Yeah, I know it's still technically fall. When I see snow, I automatically think "winter."

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
12/9/08 9:20 p.m.

That is nothing. I have 4 feet snowbanks around the driveway already (North Bay, ON - 3 1/2 hours NW of Ottawa). In fact, I have already had to take the top off the bank near the road.

Tonight it is supposed to be -23 degrees C or about -10F for you American folks. We will be skiing soon!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
12/10/08 6:06 p.m.

its 34 here, and its been swapping between snow and sleet since 4. in Houston.

hell is literally, freezing over.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/10/08 6:54 p.m.

They're talking about a snow/ice storm that could rival our January '04 ice storm hitting this weekend/next week.

Of course that would happen when I don't have working heat in my car

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
12/10/08 7:39 p.m.

5 Dec 2008, hey a little snow for XMAS.

9 Dec 2008, crap Snow blower broke, an hour extra in traffic, the shovelling will calm me down.

10 Dec 2008, holy crap. 4 hours in driving to work and home. This is out to lunch.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/10/08 10:30 p.m.

most of mine melted in the rain to day, but it will be back

vladha
vladha New Reader
12/10/08 11:10 p.m.

I currently have the ac set to 72 F... wore a t-shirt, shorts and flops today. It's supposed to get down to 60 on Friday... I'll have to break out the sweaters.

Peas us Riced, Mark

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
12/11/08 5:22 a.m.

Yawn got up at 5am, left the house at 530 was at work at 6.

Yesterday. Left at 6AM was at work for 8AM.

Funny how that works eh.

A

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/11/08 7:55 a.m.

All of you who actually get snow suck. In south-central PA, it is raining right now and 40 degrees. It is usually like this all winter. It rains every day and is in the mid-high 30s, or it's cold and dry. We used to get actual snow accumulation, but thanks to global warming and Bob Costas, it just rains here all the time. Nothing like brown mud and dead trees for scenery!

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/11/08 8:00 a.m.
Buttfacerton wrote: all this talk and no one sez iceracing? low speed poor traction and fun!

The Philladelphia Region used to do winter events at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen MD. I was at one of their last ones - a few years ago since Ripken Stadium kicked everybody out - and we raced on an inch-thick slab of ice. It was by far my favorite auto-x. A Prius on Blizzaks almost took pax. Somebody used his tow-truck F-150 2WD as a drifter, and I almost had to sit the event out because I couldn't make it up the slight incline to the grid on my summer tires. We also got 15 runs!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZEufkk5C28HVfSMM1vmjSTUY3EmJOrDcXdUyId6qSOYONpfAHO3rm35xOo8hwap3