1 2
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/17 9:09 p.m.

I literally tripped over it in the garage. Honestly I'd forgotten about it.

I want to clean it up. Not do a full on refurbishment, just make it as presentable as possible to be a conversation piece type thing.

I don't think it's in bad shape, but I have no idea how to clean it without causing more damage. I'm also not worried about the interior, nobody is going to wear it.

And now pictures. Feel free to guess, I'll leave out the obvious reveal picture for a couple posts.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/17/17 10:11 p.m.

Looks rather German. Honestly id blast it and find some military grade rattle can and call it a day.

RevRico
6/17/17 10:22 p.m.

It is German. That's also why I don't want to damage it anymore than it is.

They aren't making anymore of these things.

The story goes, my dad was walking his pet goose when he was 7 or 8, so 1964-65ish. Someone in the neighborhood, one of the older kids, offered to trade him the helmet for the goose. So he took the helmet, and after all his moving around and growing up, still had it in the garage.

I hadn't seen it for probably 10 years, until I kicked it, bare foot, this afternoon.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
6/17/17 10:48 p.m.
RevRico wrote: The story goes, my dad was walking his pet goose...

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/17/17 10:54 p.m.

Looks like a Luftwaffe m40 or m42 helmet. Some say leave it as found - dust and all. Others say a little fantastik to clean it up a bit. They sell for about $750 in similar condition.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/17/17 11:26 p.m.

I can't help but think of the times when I've seen someone on Antique Roadshow with something that is worth a fraction of it's possible value after they refinished it.

The response to this is always the same: "But it was ugly!"

I really enjoy this site, but before making a decision, I would consult somewhere else.

RevRico
6/17/17 11:32 p.m.

I don't want to refinish it, I just want to get the dirt off, and not make the rust any worse or strip the paint off in the process.

I also have no desire to sell it, although that is a bigger number than I thought.

Oldtins suggestion of a Luftwaffe helmet is the first inkling of what it might actually be I've ever had, other than obviously old German.

I just think it's a cool piece of history, and instead of collecting dust in the garage, it could collect dust on a shelf or down in the car port.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/18/17 6:37 a.m.

Looks cool as hell just like it is. Any pics of the goose?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/17 7:45 a.m.

Luftwaffe

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
6/18/17 11:12 a.m.

WD40 and a rag?

RevRico
6/18/17 11:21 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Looks cool as hell just like it is. Any pics of the goose?

There were at one point actually, but much like my inheritance, my scumbag uncle wound up with all that stuff.

Years ago, he had a bunch of the old home movies made to dvds, including him and my dad playing army with the helmet, so I know it exists somewhere, but it's doubtful I'll ever get my hands on them.

RevRico
6/18/17 11:22 a.m.
Burrito wrote:
RevRico wrote: The story goes, my dad was walking his pet goose...

Rural 1960s Pennsylvania was definitely....Rural.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/18/17 11:36 a.m.

I would get some metal polish like you use on chrome and give it a good clean. AutoSol is my go-to brand.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/18/17 12:03 p.m.
RevRico wrote: The story goes, my dad was walking his pet goose when he was 7 or 8, so 1964-65ish.

I'm the same age as your dad.

I wouldn't do anything to that helmet, other than maybe wipe it with a slightly damp rag to remove dust. Find a collector, sell it as is and pocket the cash. According to this site it may be worth close to $800. http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/german/helmets/singled.php

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
6/18/17 1:57 p.m.

I'd see what a mild detergent and hot water will do if you just want to clean it up. Something like Simple Green mixed for cleaning, not degreasing. In my experience, WD40 won't remove paint. So I'd probably follow up by wiping it down with that using a soft rag to minimize the rust and get the water out of it. But the condition is really part of what makes it interesting.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/18/17 2:02 p.m.

What about some compressed air? Blow off what you can and call it a day.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
6/18/17 2:13 p.m.
RevRico wrote: my dad was walking his pet goose when he was 7 or 8, so 1964-65ish. Someone in the neighborhood, one of the older kids, offered to trade him the helmet for the goose. So he took the helmet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/17 5:37 p.m.

I guarantee you that helmet has seen some E36 M3.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
6/18/17 6:21 p.m.

Should I assume it isn't for sale?

Patrick
6/18/17 6:55 p.m.

I actually have a Luftwaffe officer's dress dagger in the closet, next to a ww2 Japanese infantry sword. Both from Carli's grandpa, who never spoke of what he saw during the war

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
6/18/17 7:36 p.m.

Patrick, same question.

Apis Mellifera wrote: Should I assume it isn't for sale?
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/18/17 8:20 p.m.
Patrick wrote: I actually have a Luftwaffe officer's dress dagger in the closet, next to a ww2 Japanese infantry sword. Both from Carli's grandpa, who never spoke of what he saw during the war

My grandfather was never in the war, but one day I went to his house for a visit, and he asked me if I wanted to see his new acquisition. I don't know how he had this thing, but he had a fully operational ww2 japanese machine gun. Like tripod belt fed E36 M3.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/18/17 8:36 p.m.

You need to put some horns on it. Philo Beddoe is still going to kick your ass though.

Patrick
6/18/17 9:19 p.m.
Apis Mellifera wrote: Patrick, same question.
Apis Mellifera wrote: Should I assume it isn't for sale?

Correct. My wife has very little from her grandfather.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
6/19/17 10:27 a.m.

I understand family memorabilia, and I know it's part of history and that is important to remember, but Nazi stuff always gives me the heebie jeebies. And the kind of person that would buy that from me gives me even more heebie jeebies. It's like buying a knife that was used by Dahmer - creeeeeepy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JElPJHin5dwaZFmVNLlsKISdzlwbLKdQSshDQYQmnESCqWnxfxlXjaEKWvhaJ6IX