1 2 3 4
Ghetto_Sled_101
Ghetto_Sled_101 New Reader
7/20/09 5:58 p.m.

Hey all. Long time lurker/ new subscriber. Loving my mag and these boards are tons of info. Anyway, I'm sure all of you know about Eric Banna's documentary Love The Beast. So it's out now and I got it the other night. REALLY enjoyed this one. From what I've read in you alls posts, many of us suffer from similar obsession. Just giving back to the board with my non review/ recomendation. Banna, Clarckson, Leno.... and Dr. Phil... Check your local torrent.. er um video store. It's worth the downloa.. um rent. ---Cheers.
Tried to embed trailer, obviously beyond my puter skill. Trailer for film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffLoJh0wic

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/20/09 6:09 p.m.

I don't see it being released anywhere in the US. The only DVD I see for sale on the site is in PAL format that won't work on my DVD player.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
7/20/09 6:33 p.m.

My old local video store went out of business for some reason. I guess it became too easy to not leave your house and rent movies. Or that took too long for most people...

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/09 6:59 p.m.

Ghetto_Sled, where did you see it? I just got back from Australia and one of our goals was to see the film there - but we didn't find it.

You can play PAL DVDs on your computer, though.

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/20/09 10:14 p.m.

Shagged. Looks like I have something to watch tomorrow night. The int3rw3bs rock.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/20/09 10:25 p.m.

Eric was once a bit player in a weekly comedy show called the Comedy Company, you may be able to locate some of his bits online.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/21/09 7:12 a.m.

I got in touch with Bana's management company a few months ago. He was busy promoting a little space movie at the time, but they said they'd try to set something up with us when the film was ready for official US release.

As far as I know there's no firm date for US release as of now. If they're releasing PAL versions it can't be far off, though.

jg

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/21/09 7:18 a.m.

Aside from the steering wheel being on the wrong side of the car and having to shift with the wrong hand, I think I could realy be intrigued by this film.

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/21/09 7:40 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Eric was once a bit player in a weekly comedy show called the Comedy Company, you may be able to locate some of his bits online.

That's actually how the movie opens - I did watch the first 5 minutes or so.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/09 7:53 a.m.
Carrera30 wrote: Shagged. Looks like I have something to watch tomorrow night. The int3rw3bs rock.

+1 Looks like car-guy gold to me!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/21/09 10:41 a.m.

Go to dvdregionhacks.com, reset your DVD player to region free, and enjoy the dvd from anywhere you'd like to buy it.

Keith
7/21/09 12:17 p.m.

Bypassing the region tag isn't going to convert PAL to NTSC.

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
7/21/09 12:33 p.m.

That's weird, I saw the trailer somewhere (independent movie theater or video, can't remember?) It'd be strange to go to the trouble of promoting it stateside without plans to release it.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/21/09 1:19 p.m.
Keith wrote: Bypassing the region tag isn't going to convert PAL to NTSC.

I thought PAL and NTSC was just vhs and other tape formats, and DVDs were just set for the region. I've set my DVD player and I haven't found a foreign market DVD that I can't watch yet.

Keith
7/21/09 1:40 p.m.

PAL and NTSC are broadcast video standards, and they differ in things like the number of scan lines and frame rate. Now that I think about it, HDTV might get rid of that particular little problem and it's possible that modern DVD players will do the conversion as well. I'm a bit out of touch with current video standards.

I do know from experience that Playstation 1 games in PAL format won't display properly on an NTSC set.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/09 2:28 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: I thought PAL and NTSC was just vhs and other tape formats, and DVDs were just set for the region. I've set my DVD player and I haven't found a foreign market DVD that I can't watch yet.

I think this is true. I know that NTSC is essentially dead in the United States now since the digital transition. All broadcast TV is ATSC (digital) now.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/21/09 9:25 p.m.

A decent DVD player (like the cheapest ones) will have a setting for the TV. You set the TV to NTSC and to convert PAL to NTSC, then you can put anything in the drive and watch it. And you should have a hack or boot ROM available to set it region free. DVD regions was about the second dumbest thing the RIAA could do to us. The dumbest being an encryption of the video when every single DVD player has the decryption key built into it. Gosh, where could we find the key? I just don't know. I guess that encryption stuff must really be good.

As fer the movie:

Search usenet wink-wink. You'll need a premium news server.

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/21/09 10:50 p.m.

Watched movie tonight. Wife showed no interest. She just doesn't understand.

Keith
7/21/09 10:54 p.m.

Maybe I should buy a DVD player that's less than 13 years old then :) Heck, I race a car that's newer than my A/V setup!

Not that there's a copy of Love the Beast on my hard drive. Oh no. If I can legally buy a copy on DVD that I can play on an unhacked DVD player in North America, I'll do that. It'll go on the Car Movie shelf.

It was actually my wife's suggestion that since we were going to be in Australia, we should try to find the movie in theatres while we were there. Why did I marry her again? Oh yeah, the green card.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/21/09 11:05 p.m.

One of my current jobs is for a digital media transfer company. We burn all our DVDs to NTSC. DVD players still use it as pretty much standard. We can convert from PAL to NTSC, but there is that whole copy right thing, so we didn't do it. We know nothing. But, if any of you get a copy in PAL and want it converted I might do it for a copy for myself. But if anyone wants home movies and such on DVD drop me a line.

Opus
Opus Dork
7/22/09 12:12 a.m.

may try a PS3 to play it. As I understand, there is no region coding for blue ray players

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
7/24/09 10:50 a.m.

Wonderful movie!

If watching this isn't motivating enough to get you to want to work on your car, I don't think anything will.

The crash sequences, when that yellow ferrari hit the tree at speed looked bad. Noticed the driver did not have a HANS on. Hope he was ok.

I loved the driving sequence 39 minutes in, split screen with the road, navigator and pedals. Pretty cool.

I also noticed in the credits the driver and his friends played allot of the music in the movie. The driver played the drums. How cool is that.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
7/24/09 12:27 p.m.

It's in Netflix but it says that the release date is unkown. I really want to watch this movie so hopefully it comes out soon.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
7/24/09 12:43 p.m.

just play it in a computer with vlc installed (www.videolan.org) ... it does all the work for you (the PAL to NTSC conversion)

mulluthuntur
mulluthuntur New Reader
7/24/09 9:14 p.m.

I have to turn in my dude card. I almost cried.... and I laugh at burning orphans.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aFaWCDFt0iJstxwHJQA9xxafs6Vj38tA8uKsyiYE4vOynhHWYYPJerPoGbU3s7Ae