1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/25/14 10:35 p.m.

I know there was some talk of possible mechanical issues, but I think we all expected this.
Paul Walker crash results

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
3/25/14 11:27 p.m.

Also 9 year old tires on a supercar.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/25/14 11:51 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Also 9 year old tires on a supercar.

Where are you reading that?

I drove that car about a year before the accident, and it had different wheels on it at that point (the original silver wheels), so the black wheels that were on the car at the time of the crash were a recent addition. I presume that the tires were new at that point (though I do not know for certain).

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/26/14 4:37 a.m.

Whatever reporter was on this morning was trying to make news about his aftermarket and possibly illegal exhaust that caused the car to produce dangerous levels of increased power.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 5:17 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

I was just telling my wife that anything over 650hp is excessive.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/26/14 5:52 a.m.

Though 649hp...quite reasonable.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/26/14 6:21 a.m.

I've yet to experience excessive horsepower. I would love to conduct experiments to determine if there is such a thing!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
3/26/14 6:41 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I've yet to experience excessive horsepower. I would love to conduct experiments to determine if there is such a thing!

Agreed. I've seen insufficient traction, but never excessive horsepower.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
3/26/14 6:47 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Whatever reporter was on this morning was trying to make news about his aftermarket and possibly illegal exhaust that caused the car to produce dangerous levels of increased power.

I have both, and they haven't produced dangerous levels of increased power for me

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/26/14 8:08 a.m.

FWIW, this is the exhaust that was on the car...

GMG WC Exhaust

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/26/14 11:04 a.m.

Not a full Mo-Tec System exhaust?

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
3/26/14 11:47 a.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/26/14 11:50 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: FWIW, this is the exhaust that was on the car... GMG WC Exhaust

So by "illegal" the talking head quoted above means "Not sanctioned by the CARB for use in the PRC." And by "dangerous levels of power" they mean 16 extra HP in a car that probably doesn't hook up until 3rd gear anyways.

Got it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/26/14 11:58 a.m.

so, old tires, excessive speed. No real surprises here is there?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/26/14 12:02 p.m.

I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about the light pole, and whether or not it failed to yield. Funny how the last thing anyone wants to blame is the driver. Oh, it was the car, must have been defective. Oh, it was the illegal exhaust that made the car go too fast. Oh, it was the old tires that lost their grip.

Sad.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/26/14 12:05 p.m.

Well, the autopsy concluded that the death was due to blunt force caused by crash at speed, so its good to hear the accident report agrees?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/26/14 12:15 p.m.

The cars are sketchy in the first place......if the driver was being an idiot, the other stuff doesn't matter.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/26/14 12:17 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about the light pole, and whether or not it failed to yield. Funny how the last thing anyone wants to blame is the driver. Oh, it was the car, must have been defective. Oh, it was the illegal exhaust that made the car go too fast. Oh, it was the old tires that lost their grip. Sad.

It's sad that the driver drove out of his ability at that time. We're just lucky it was only the 2 of them that were killed. I'd hate to think what a 90+mpg CGT would do to a small car coming around the bend.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 12:21 p.m.

In all fairness to everyone involved, I know many of us have driven on ten year old 3500 mile tires without even thinking twice.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 12:23 p.m.

Wow who's the cheapass who put the laterally mismatched, semi-ultra-fossilized tire setup on a 6-digit car? Lesson from this accident: If you're not sure about how a car is maintained, assume it's barely driveable and adjust your driving to suit. Even supercars can be maintained by idiots.

People near the accident said they heard an explosion before the screeching and crash, that wasn't one of the tires? I know speed is always to blame since it's impossible for stationary objects to get into accidents with each other, and other explanations are only valid below the posted limit, but I'm curious.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 12:36 p.m.

I think if they had said the car was on fire while speeding before it hit the tree.. it would have made a much better headline

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/26/14 12:38 p.m.

I have too many vehicles to age out my tires..... That would cost a fortune. They get changed when they are worn out or dry rotted. I do try and drive within my limits (and the vehicles) whether on old tires or not.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/26/14 1:24 p.m.

The only tires I've ever aged out were motorcycle tires.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/26/14 1:37 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: People near the accident said they heard an explosion before the screeching and crash, that wasn't one of the tires? I

Exhaust backfire from a rapid liftoff leading to a spin.....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/26/14 1:42 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: People near the accident said they heard an explosion before the screeching and crash, that wasn't one of the tires? I
Exhaust backfire from a rapid liftoff leading to a spin.....

That would make sense.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WkKhCGE8ukRQhoQJ9KYfcyloZUUsWnAGRzD962sTpadQVN7f9oaRtrzKQkOF7QHC