1 2 3 4
The
The Dork
8/21/17 8:10 a.m.

So at 56 I get the Parkinson's (no pity party a lot of folks got it a lot worse) after two years I can feel it doin its thing which means wheel chair in a year or two. Regardless I had to retire and there are abilities that most have that are starting to drop off, no more removing the roof of a e46 and replacing it with the carbon fiber copy, no more fab, once was a wizard with a grinder with the guard removed and metal cutting blade. Abilities dropping off cant write, text, type, it will take me 30 mins to type this, delicate things but you got the shakes.

Anyway. her she goes (the idea) when I was 18 I started traveling and hit every state. My plan now would be to put a camper top on my truck, throw a mattress in there, maybe sleep and shower (I just had to type shower 5 berkeleyin times) at parks and campgrounds, traveling slow and bare bones. I am also into photography so I would have nobody to say, you cant stop, why do want to take a pic of a rusted truck none of that kind of E36 M3. Trial run from Birmingham to the Keys, I got a uncle half way if I have trouble, when the nights have cooled for sleeping. If that works maybe back to Birmingham for a while to make the modifications you learned you needed. SO thoughts, I will need a weapon which I have two nines and a CCP but need to check the legality of where you can have it. Problem, swmbo says I weave from side to side in my lane and if was stopped by law enforcement I could not pass any of there tests and it's true iam under the influence of prescription drugs (18 twice a day) I would have to make sure I get my meds if something happened. Back to the cops yeah I could not pass any roadside tests, blood tests would reveal some E36 M3 which I can document but in the mean time do you mind if we look in your truck oops here's a guy on meds and he has a firearm. Just tying to cover some bases, what items would be good to have? If I am going to do it I have to move, And then there is the elephant in the room how you gonna get this by SWMBO who fortunately is a "career women" I don't know it just feels right, I would have to tell her I am gonna do some things you are not going to like and I am going to do them ALONE. Thanks as always. jr

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/21/17 8:33 a.m.

I love the idea! I'd be tempted to leave the weapons at home. What is your rationale for bringing them?

Can you hit all the national parks? They sell little passports that you can get stamped at all 50 or so.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/21/17 8:34 a.m.

I can feel what you are trying to do - there are many days that I'd just like to wander off into the wilderness until I'm sick of that too but if you can't safely operate a vehicle because you are impaired by illness or prescription drugs then you shouldn't operate a vehicle. For all the obvious reasons that people who are impaired shouldn't drive.

Sorry. I know that isn't the advice you came here for.

STM317
STM317 Dork
8/21/17 8:36 a.m.

Really sorry about the battle ahead. I think it's smart to do everything that you can, while you still can, but it does sound like you shouldn't be behind the wheel right now. Too many things that can go very wrong. Why can't SWMBO tag along to drive when you're not up to it?

Are you doing any therapy? I have a coworker who is dealing with Parkinson's who has been going to a dedicated gym for crossfit style workouts and lots of boxing. The crossfit helps maintain strength and the boxing forces your brain to maintain and improve hand-eye coordination. His tremors have reduced noticeably. It's still a race that you can't win, but it seems to extend your time on track so to speak. Might be worth looking into.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 9:13 a.m.
if you can't safely operate a vehicle

oh no my friend it is nothing like that, that is her scarring herself I am good for at least 8 hours

I love the idea! I'd be tempted to leave the weapons at home. What is your rationale for bringing them?

when I did it in 78 you did not need anything, but today I believe anything can happen anytime anywhere

Are you doing any therapy?

the day after I got diagnosed I joined they gym and hired a trainer so for the last year and a half I have gone 5days a week I was cross training till I bulged to disc flipping the tractor tire 75 time a day, 10 years ago I had a traumatic dislocation of my right should and arm so after flipping the cross fit ropes ate up the rest of the tissue in my shoulder socket so only thing in the socket is the anchors holding my arm on so then I joined a little competition of 100 members guess what I won the leg press lifting 505lbs I am the winner my right knee collapsed, IDIOT IDIOT I showed them just cost me my knee I kick boxed until I hit the bag with my right and could feel the top end of my arm bone contact my shoulder bone My team of doctors say only thing I will ever be able to do is ride the stationary bike and walk, swim Same doctor did Drew Breeze did all my work he said only thing holding my arm on was skin and now anchors I shouldn't lift nothing more than a gallon of milk rest of my life. I can still kick a six foot tall man in the head but feel that knee, Sorry too ramble on but since you mentioned cross fit I wanted to say I am doing all I can do without doing more damage.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/21/17 9:15 a.m.

I agree with Huckleberry. It's sounds like it wouldn't be very responsible to be roaming around the country on that drug regimen. As much as that sucks.

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's but his heart attacked him prior to it really taking hold.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 9:22 a.m.
My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's but his heart attacked him prior to it really taking hold

My sympathies on that lost, thanks for your comment, I can make the trip, no doubt. I have had a 2017 Tacoma since March only got 414 miles on it.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 9:34 a.m.
I agree with Huckleberry. It's sounds like it wouldn't be very responsible to be roaming around the country on that drug regimen. As much as that sucks

so at 56 race cars gone, side by side gone, bike gone, campers gone, giant ford truck gone, so that's it, well play video games well I don't play no berkeleying video games, I do E36 M3, I go places, and more importantly my pop taught me to try and help one person a day and on the road is where you find those people but keep the comments coming they are all helpful. This is a interesting post, I think.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/21/17 9:57 a.m.
The wrote:
I agree with Huckleberry. It's sounds like it wouldn't be very responsible to be roaming around the country on that drug regimen. As much as that sucks
so at 56 race cars gone, side by side gone, bike gone, campers gone, giant ford truck gone, so that's it, well play video games well I don't play no berkeleying video games, I do E36 M3, I go places, and more importantly my pop taught me to try and help one person a day and on the road is where you find those people but keep the comments coming they are all helpful. This is a interesting post, I think.

personally, if i were in your shoes, i would say berkeley it and go get after it. obviously you need to be self aware and dont push yourself to where you endanger yourself and others while driving, take as many breaks as you need to keep a right mind to be on the road. Like you said it will probably be your last big hoorah so why not do it while you can still enjoy it?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/17 10:23 a.m.

Sounds like a great idea, just like you described it with plenty of time to stop and smell the roses.. Or the rusting-away truck as it were.

The wrote: when I did it in 78 you did not need anything, but today I believe anything can happen anytime anywhere

Just as a point of reference, contrary to what the 24 hours news cycle leads to you to believe, there is signficantly less crime today than there used to be. From what I've read before (it might even be in this article, I just hit one of the first google links), crime peaked in the US in 1991, and since then has fallen significantly every year, except for homicide rates in Baltimore, Chicago and other towns with opiod & gang problems where it's up slightly in the past year or two.

This article does cover what you're saying, though.. People in general feel that there's more crime, I blame the news.

Either way, traveling through all 50 states with firearms may be more hassle than it's worth.

WilD
WilD Dork
8/21/17 10:23 a.m.

Let me preface this by stating I am not really anti-firearm. But I would personally leave them at home if I were traveling. They are an encumbrance I would not want as it would add a layer of complexity and additional risk. The US is generally pretty safe and I think you will better enjoy yourself if you approach a trip with an open mind an acceptance that something bad could happen, but probably won't.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/17 10:28 a.m.

Another thought: Try to keep a log of your journey. I know writing & typing will be significantly more difficult as time goes on, so perhaps a video camera or voice recorder?

Perhaps if you did it while doing the photography bit, it would add some meaning to the purpose of the pictures you take for others to enjoy?

I would love it if I had a grandfather or something that I could check out a picture that he took, and hear something like "6/18/1962 - 3:30 PM. Today I stumbled across this rusting truck in a field outside of BFE, AK. I really liked the way that the light was causing a glow around the remaining paint. It reminds me of a time where..."

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 10:39 a.m.

I've been traveling quite a bit these last 2-years, and like you I also initially considered carrying a firearm. However IME if you stick to the interstates and major highways, don't drive late at night/overnight, and don't pull off when passing through questionable areas, it's very unlikely you'll encounter trouble.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/21/17 10:57 a.m.

Wow sorry to hear. But I am glad to see your taking it in stride as best you can.

My 2c.

Load a small camper on the taco and go. (are you thinking canopy or an actual camper?) Just be aware of your limitations. Meds hitting you to hard that day, stay there, dont drive. Take lots of breaks. If you get pulled over for a DUI test your screwed, period. Avoid things that will make that more likely. Dont speed (much?), if your tired stop, dont drive all night etc.

On the firearm, I do similar things as you describe, drive, pull over in a pull out, walmart, rest stop, CG etc. Some feel sketchy, most dont. Meth is the worst.... Open carry is allowed in many of the 50 states, if you want something with you, a mag mount on the center console may be a good bet. I understand the desire, but its also going to be a pain in some places. Bring adequate containers to be able to separate and lock it up as needed.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 10:58 a.m.
Wonko said: Today I stumbled across this rusting truck in a field outside of BFE, AK. I really liked the way that the light was causing a glow around the remaining paint. It reminds me of a time where..."

Damn you need to come along it's all about the light.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 11:01 a.m.

NO GUNS NOO GUNS GOT IT, NOW WHAT SHOULD BE TAKEN? NO GUNS I GOT IT

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/21/17 11:02 a.m.

I think it sounds like an awesome "send-off" kind of trip. As long as you're aware of your shortcomings and don't push yourself past your endurance you could have an amazing memory-making trip and might meet a lot of interesting people and see a lot of interesting places.

I agree on leaving the firearms behind, though. And I say that as someone with guns. You say that "delicate things" are difficult - well imagine your current shakes plus a slug of adrenaline and fear, trying to get to, draw, and aim a gun. I can't imagine anything more delicate and more difficult. You're more likely to arm the person than defend yourself against them. Failing that you might shoot a bystander. And in my opinion, 1978 America was just as violent (read: not really that violent) as today's America.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 11:06 a.m.
JAVA said: Wow sorry to hear. But I am glad to see your taking it in stride as best you can. My 2c. Load a small camper on the taco and go. (are you thinking canopy or an actual camper?) Just be aware of your limitations. Meds hitting you to hard that day, stay there, dont drive. Take lots of breaks. If you get pulled over for a DUI test your screwed, period. Avoid things that will make that more likely. Dont speed (much?), if your tired stop, dont drive all night etc. On the firearm, I do similar things as you describe, drive, pull over in a pull out, walmart, rest stop, CG etc. Some feel sketchy, most dont. Meth is the worst.... Open carry is allowed in many of the 50 states, if you want something with you, a mag mount on the center console may be a good bet. I understand the desire, but its also going to be a pain in some places. Bring adequate containers to be able to separate and lock it up as needed.

All good info I am listening, as far as the camper I am thinking just a shell so I can still get in the garage, I will throw a mattress in there close the lid and I am back at the track.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/21/17 11:08 a.m.
The wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Put me in your shoes and I would likely already be on the road. I just can't, in good conscience condone someone that knows they would fail a field sobriety test being on the road. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

In the end the only one you have to satisfy is yourself. We come into this world alone and we die alone. It's what you do in the meantime that matters.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 11:12 a.m.
you could have an amazing memory-making trip and might meet a lot of interesting people and see a lot of interesting places.

That's what I have been living on since 78, but your description is spot on.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/21/17 11:13 a.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Don't get me wrong. Put me in your shoes and I would likely already be on the road. I just can't, in good conscience condone someone that knows they would fail a field sobriety test being on the road. Yes, I'm a hypocrite. In the end the only one you have to satisfy is yourself. We come into this world alone and we die alone. It's what you do in the meantime that matters.

I agree with this. If I listened to my own advice none of my stories would end with being let out of jail in the morning.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/17 11:18 a.m.

Make sure you keep a cooler of water and Gatorade in easy reach, as well as a healthy snack food.

Otherwise, take your time, enjoy yourself, and try not to push your limits. If your having a rough day, take it off from traveling and recuperate.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 11:19 a.m.
Don't get me wrong. Put me in your shoes and I would likely already be on the road. I just can't, in good conscience condone someone that knows they would fail a field sobriety test being on the road. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

I hear you brother and though I could not pass one of those tests, but may will still be moving left, right what's ahead, what's behind 8 year's in a big rig you keep your head moving and there is NO sin in being late to anything Safety first safety second safety always but to your point I get stopped i got a problem even though I have documentation from my doctors.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 11:22 a.m.
Otherwise, take your time, enjoy yourself, and try not to push your limits. If your having a rough day, take it off from traveling and recuperate

Exactly I got no where to be, Hey look at that lets stop for a day or two and check out this junkyard.

The
The Dork
8/21/17 11:23 a.m.

That would be better than that Smith Bros museum up north.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dryEKwX9SabTrh8e3eg1LGqA76HSnGOwMcTVGrQUjnBT91PGOBaV0uWMgHGHJ3Qo