N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/11/12 8:00 a.m.
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/12 8:08 a.m.

I liked it better when it could be anywhere.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
4/11/12 8:18 a.m.

Simply a question that I never needed an answer for.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/12 8:21 a.m.

I know a guy from Springfield, Illinois who's gonna be PISSED to hear this...and rightly so IMO, from what he's told me.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/11/12 8:41 a.m.
BBsGarage wrote: Simply a question that I never needed an answer for.

yea, sorry. Should have spoiler alerted ya.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/12 8:59 a.m.

All he really says in the article is that the town in the show is named for Springfield, Oregon. Not that that's where the show is actually set.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/12 9:06 a.m.

No no no, they're from the The Tracey Ullman Show!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
4/11/12 9:09 a.m.

Where else was it going to be?

Matt grew up in Oregon and attended the Uof O in Eugene right next to Springfield. He let it slip years ago that Moe's tavern was based on Max's tavern on the UofO campus.

Springfield Oregon is a toilet though. The street lights are amber so when you are traveling at night you know that you have gone to far and entered Springfield if the lighting goes from clean and bright to a dingy film noir inspired bleakness.

Hate that burg.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/11/12 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

He molded the show around it. He did more than just name the city for it. He admits part of the reason he named it Springfield was because there were so many. He wanted THAT Springfield.

Tom_Spangler
4/11/12 10:14 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: He molded the show around it. He did more than just name the city for it. He admits part of the reason he named it Springfield was because there were so many. He wanted THAT Springfield.

Agreed, the town ITSELF is based on Springfield, OR, but that doesn't mean the show is actually set in Oregon, if you catch my drift. I still contend that the town in the show is meant to be Anytown, USA. Look at how the writers change the geography of the show as needed to suit the storylines of individual episodes. There's a seaport, a nuclear power plant, a huge gorge, a giant desert, heck, it was once implied that the town was on an island! IMO, trying to pin it down to a specific location in the US is hopeless, because it really doesn't have one.

<- Serious Simpsons Geek

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/11/12 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Yep. All part of the joke itself.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/12 10:25 a.m.

I agree with both Ditchdigger and Tom_Spangler. I'm pretty sure it was inspired by/based on Springfield, OR. Having lived next door in Shelbyville (er, Eugene) for a number of years, there's more than the name in common with the cartoon town.

And yes, of course as a cartoon it's going to encompass all sorts of universal stuff, some of which Springfield, OR has, and some not.

And while Springfield, OR, itself doesn't have a seaport, a nuclear power plant, a huge gorge or giant desert, you can get to all of those things in a couple of hours from there. (Florence, OR; Hanford in WA; the Columbia Gorge; and the high desert in eastern Oregon, respectively)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/11/12 12:45 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: He molded the show around it. He did more than just name the city for it. He admits part of the reason he named it Springfield was because there were so many. He wanted THAT Springfield.
Agreed, the town ITSELF is based on Springfield, OR, but that doesn't mean the show is actually set in Oregon, if you catch my drift. I still contend that the town in the show is meant to be Anytown, USA. Look at how the writers change the geography of the show as needed to suit the storylines of individual episodes. There's a seaport, a nuclear power plant, a huge gorge, a giant desert, heck, it was once implied that the town was on an island! IMO, trying to pin it down to a specific location in the US is hopeless, because it really doesn't have one. <- Serious Simpsons Geek

Yeah, if you read the interview they're not actually from Springfield, OR. Damn near everyone is over reacting about this.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/12 12:46 p.m.

that show is still on?

Tom_Spangler
4/11/12 12:47 p.m.
patgizz wrote: that show is still on?

Wow, it took 14 replies. Not bad.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/11/12 7:03 p.m.
patgizz wrote: that show is still on?

yeah, but it hasn't been good for about 15 years.. it's merely ok..

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/11/12 8:05 p.m.

the actual location of Springfield doesn't matter- but it has to be a pretty magical place because i think the sun has been seen rising and setting over the harbor..

maybe it's located on the island from Lost and everyone there is in purgatory.. it would explain why no one has aged for 20 years..

T.J.
T.J. UberDork
4/11/12 9:00 p.m.

Oregon won't let you even pump your own gas, they would never have a nuclear power plant in the state.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVPEOwFkrl22xNmPo3HaKhPiDxulTJxZ00hlfHbRyrmkTR8Mefjg8P3WZmhLl0Mf