1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/15/16 1:05 p.m.

i used to just link to pics from my facebook account if i wanted to show something, but they caught onto that trick and gave their pics insanely long urls that forum software doesn't like. before that, i posted everything on webshots but they went belly up or whatever..

so, which page lets you store pics and share them via embedding with a simple copy/paste of a nice short url these days? i don't want to upload them to the forum i'm posting to because i want them in my own little place where i can share easily across multiple forums if need be and always have them available.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/16 1:10 p.m.

I use Google Photos, formerly known as Picasa. If you have an Android phone, you can set it to automatically upload the pics you take with your phone. From there, you can sort them into albums, share them individually or as an album, embed them in forum posts, etc.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 1:11 p.m.

http://www.imgur.com

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 1:35 p.m.

+1 imgur. Works great as a place to quickly chuck images for hosting.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 1:39 p.m.

Photobucket for me. Dead simple, good phone app.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
4/15/16 1:40 p.m.

I'm still using Photobucket, but I can't recommend it at all. It was a great for a number of years, but the constant "improvements" have turned it into a steaming pile of second hand horse cocks.

Just the worst.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
4/15/16 1:42 p.m.
Burrito wrote: I'm still using Photobucket, but I can't recommend it at all. It was a great for a number of years, but the constant "improvements" have turned it into a steaming pile of second hand horse cocks. Just the worst.

Agreed. Their phone app was handy, but their website can suck a huge back of dicks.

They are a victim of their own success in so much as no one pays for it, but they suck up their bandwidth in huge chunks, so they pay for that bandwidth and storage with ads. Tons and tons of ads.

Also, are first hand horse cocks any better?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 1:53 p.m.
Burrito wrote: I'm still using Photobucket, but I can't recommend it at all. It was a great for a number of years, but the constant "improvements" have turned it into a steaming pile of second hand horse cocks. Just the worst.

I agree with you.. I am going to stop using it soon

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/15/16 2:08 p.m.

Been using Photobucket for more than a decade now.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/15/16 2:10 p.m.

Totally agree on Photobucket.

I've been using it for years, but the website is a giant PITA, and the mobile (Android) app is super glitchy. But it works, kinda.

I have a Google Photos account, but when I link photos from there to places like this forum, the links don't work and no one can see the photos. I also have an Imgur account, but I mostly use it to look at pictures of animals doing stupid E36 M3.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
4/15/16 2:16 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

to hotlink from your Google Photos, head to picasaweb.google.com and you can get the proper url at least until they shutdown picasa web services :/

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/15/16 2:17 p.m.

I use photobucket. Seems like google photos either doesn't work or people don't know how to insert the correct code to make the images appear. 90% of the time when I see the little box with no picture on here, it is trying to be a pic hosted on google pics.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
4/15/16 2:24 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

See my post above.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/15/16 5:34 p.m.

postimage.org for one time use photo's in a hurry, the server for my cooking website for longrunning projects, might as well use the space since I'm already paying for hosting.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
4/15/16 5:57 p.m.

Since nobody has mentioned it, I use Flickr. You have to get a Yahoo account, which is the dumbest thing ever because they will delete your account regularly because you won't actually use it. Fortunately the login will still work on Flickr.

Flickr makes posting to the forum easy, but I haven't figured out how to do it without the annoying image tags. Also, if you host anything even remotely risque to their site, be prepared to be followed by a bunch of pervs. I posted a few yoga photos up, and I still get regular likes from people who get off looking at yoga pants.

Sounds like I don't like Flickr, but I actually have been satisfied with it.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
4/15/16 6:06 p.m.

Wait, Google is shutting down Picasa service?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
4/15/16 6:10 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Wait, Google is shutting down Picasa service?

http://googlephotos.blogspot.com/?hl=en_US

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
4/15/16 6:23 p.m.

Ah ok so the thing still works, the hosted photos are still on there, just no further updates and some of the features I never used won't be available anymore. No problem.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/15/16 6:28 p.m.

Photobucket with an ad blocker

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/15/16 6:29 p.m.

I use Flickr but I hate it. Too lazy to make the effort to find something better.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 7:00 p.m.

I have close to 5000 photos on Photobucket now, and they are hotlinked all over the place. I think the trick to Photobucket is to actually pay for it. I pay $25 a year for extra storage and bandwidth and I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for. I see no adds on the website or the Android app and both work pretty flawlessly. In the last year, the only issue I've had, was one day the site was down for maintenance. The last update on the Android app made it super easy to use, as did the last update on the website.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
4/15/16 7:12 p.m.

Used to use the personal website that came with my Comcast service, but they did away with the personal websites. Spent some time researching and ended up on imgur. Very easy to use and I particularly like the fact that it will re-size my pictures to the size I choose as they are uploaded. Saves me a lot of time.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/15/16 7:17 p.m.

Went from Photobucket to IMGUR.

Could not be happier. The entire Photobucket site is really malware.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 8:06 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
Agreed. Their phone app was handy, but their website can suck a huge back of dicks. They are a victim of their own success in so much as no one pays for it, but they suck up their bandwidth in huge chunks, so they pay for that bandwidth and storage with ads. Tons and tons of ads. Also, are first hand horse cocks any better?

I pay for Photobucket, because ads suck and they are pretty inexpensive as hosting goes.

I'm a little honked off that my photo URLS aren't simplified. If you go to photobucket.com/SPRTUSA you get my stuff, but linked photo urls are full of a bunch of linux and stuff.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/16/16 11:53 p.m.

I use SmugMug...well worth the cost for me:

https://vracer111.smugmug.com/Cars

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YG9ZFPaPcBDlciu8WtTVJik1JErzL0Uau1AzpcdLckWy5seH3GtNg6RNwmhKDAFw