1 2
dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
6/30/20 9:58 p.m.

Wife and I have it through our Verizon service. The Gordon Ramsey Nat Geo show is pretty good.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/30/20 10:31 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Themed drinks?  Tell us more.

I know this is one, 1oz applejack, 1oz whiskey (Virginian preferred), 1/2oz rum, and 1/2oz allspice dram together in a mixing glass. Divide the liquor evenly between 2 3-ounce glasses (such as shot glasses). Top each cocktail with 1 to 1 1/2 ounces cider. Raise a glass and sip; do not throw away your shot.  Stolen by the party host from Pinterest.

I was told to "bring the beer."  There aren't any US distillers, brewers, or vineyards old enough to have been in operation at the time for "period" drinks, (Prohibition was a bitch!) and we're not adventurous enough to make our own.  In honor of Alex's heritage there will be French wine, Scotch whiskey, and I'll probably bring some Newcastle, Belhaven, maybe Tennents (if I can find it) and 1667 since the other guy and I both much prefer beer to other libations.  Also I was told to expect a lot of rum drinks in honor of both Lin & Alex's Caribbean heritage.

Is Apple Jack Liquor or Liqueuer?  We have both.  

Although, this might be a good reason to get some Scotch- as it's not something we have. Or some corn Rye, in honor of the Big Guy.

We are not having a party- just the two of us- and we've seen it 4 times- Chicago, New York, San Juan, and Detroit.

I was wrong on the distillers, I was looking specifically for whiskey, not other spirits.  That recipe is specifying Laird's Applejack who was around, though in a different location and in a very small capacity at the time, apparently Washington was a fan, and was the only non family member the recipe was ever shared with.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/30/20 10:53 p.m.
dxman92 said:

Wife and I have it through our Verizon service. The Gordon Ramsey Nat Geo show is pretty good.

I also have it through Verizon. The Mandalorian was good. I've also taken the opportunity to finally watch most of the Marvel movies. I'm not sure if I'll renew when the Verizon trial runs out.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
7/1/20 9:18 a.m.

Wife and I are looking forward to it on Friday.  I've never seen it on stage and, tbh, know very little about it other than it was a big hit.  So, we're going in blind.  Hope it lives up to the hype.

Keith, I have the same issue trying to figure out what to watch on the multiple streaming services.  There's a site called Just Watch that seems to do the best.  It allows you to only display shows from the services you subscribe to.  From there you can select movies or TV shows (or both) and sort by different criteria.  It's still not perfect as there are hundreds of shows displayed, but seems to be the best I've found so far.

-Rob

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/20 9:32 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

Wife and I are looking forward to it on Friday.  I've never seen it on stage and, tbh, know very little about it other than it was a big hit.  So, we're going in blind.  Hope it lives up to the hype.

Keith, I have the same issue trying to figure out what to watch on the multiple streaming services.  There's a site called Just Watch that seems to do the best.  It allows you to only display shows from the services you subscribe to.  From there you can select movies or TV shows (or both) and sort by different criteria.  It's still not perfect as there are hundreds of shows displayed, but seems to be the best I've found so far.

-Rob

That's interesting. I find I watch Netflix less and less. I guess with as many things I have rated over the years, when I go back after a few days (this is through the app on my Amazon Fire Cube), it just displays the same categories with the same TV shows or movies. 

If I've scrolled past them 372 times so far, I'm probably not going to click to watch this time.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/20 11:38 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

-Rob

Other than looking up the "program" on our train trip to Chicago- that's exacly how we saw it the first time.  

Turned out good for us.  But everyone is a little different.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
7/1/20 11:45 a.m.

I got it for the Mandalorian and kept it.  Nice having all the SW content together including Clone Wars and Rebels, Solo getting added finally.  But also the BTS show about Mando, documentary on the original trilogy, the prop making series...  Throw in all the Simpsons, various Disney movies from my childhood in the 70s, 80s.  It's worth $8 to me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/20 11:59 a.m.

I first picked up Netflix for their DVD subscription service because they had far better choice than my local Blockbuster. I mean, where else are you going to find Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning? But it's getting harder and harder to find things I want to see as the availability gets fragmented. I have to admit that the combo of Disney and Hulu most often has what I'm looking for, so we may be making the switch. 

7/3/20 4:15 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

So we went a little modest for our themes- Puero Rican food for Lin Manuel, and St Croix rum for Hamilton.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
7/5/20 10:57 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

If you haven't watched it yet, definitely listen to the soundtrack beforehand and bring up the lyrics on another tablet, laptop, etc. You'll get so much more out of the performance, due to the fast-paced tempo.

7/6/20 6:58 a.m.
RustBeltSherpa said:

In reply to rob_lewis :

If you haven't watched it yet, definitely listen to the soundtrack beforehand and bring up the lyrics on another tablet, laptop, etc. You'll get so much more out of the performance, due to the fast-paced tempo.

The way D+ works, just watch it over and over again to get all that.  If you have the service already, it's cheaper than getting the cast album. 

then again, we have both, and watched 3 times over the weekend. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/6/20 8:12 a.m.

Loved it. I did take my daughter to see it in Grand Rapids in January, so I was familiar, but seeing the original Broadway cast was really something, especially Leslie Odom Jr, who blew me away. The other cool thing about watching the show this way was getting to see the closeups so you can see their expressions, etc. There's nothing like the energy of a live performance, but this was still pretty damn good.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
7/6/20 11:02 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent point. We just Googled the site to download the lyrics and used the "free" Spotify site on the tablet to play the vocals. That was over 2 hours alone, along with taking breaks.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/6/20 2:00 p.m.

Had a kick ass charcuterie spread, homemade from scratch (even the filling) mincemeat tarts, and burgers during intermission.

Just did a bunch of import beer and wine.

Really enjoyed the show!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/6/20 2:31 p.m.

I'll be honest, I was bored about halfway through. I don't know if it was because it was TV, or what, but I just didn't care. Shame too because it appeared to be an excellent show. The music was good, the set production and things were top notch (I really liked the floor in particular) costuming, etc. I understand why it's as lauded as it is. 

I however just couldn't get into it. I guess the premise of live theatre to me relies on it being you know- live. Put it on TV and I want to nap. 

7/6/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Like everything that is subjective- it's not for everyone.

7/6/20 2:42 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

Had a kick ass charcuterie spread, homemade from scratch (even the filling) mincemeat tarts, and burgers during intermission.

Just did a bunch of import beer and wine.

Really enjoyed the show!

You had bugers in 60 seconds?  (I know, pause button...)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/6/20 3:47 p.m.

I thought Les Miz had cemented my complete failure to understand the concept of musical theatre, but Hamilton has that beat.  I will just never understand a production about the Revolutionary War period where part of the... whatever the hell it is... is delivered in rap.

tb (Forum Supporter)
tb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/20 5:07 p.m.

I have had the Disney+ since the beginning because 5 year old who thinks she might grow up to be a princess...

But I really enjoy theater and was glad to watch the Hamilton since I never got a chance to see it live when it was big. I like musicals, I like rap and I like the ability to watch it with closed captioning turned on.

While I am not a total history nerd, I did not like how it lacked a lot of accuracy. The timeline was all over the place and simple facts were just wrong. Maybe I am the only one...

Still, will watch again

7/6/20 5:21 p.m.

In reply to tb (Forum Supporter) :

Lin-Manuel Miranda has talked a few times about the timelione, and much of it being out of order.  But it was better to flow this way- get through the tragedy of his son dying before the fun of the 1800 election.  Among other things.  Just works better as a story to put on stage.  There are quite a few interviiews of Ron Chernow asking him about it- since this is based on his book about Hamilton.   Chernow isn't bothered by the problem that the Burr, Lafayette, Lawrence, Mulligan, and Hamilton were never in once place at the same time- ever.  But they are the key of the first half.

If anyone wants a great takeaway from this- anything could be the most important muse of your life.  Lin-Manuel picked up the book at the airport to have something heavy to read while on his honeymoon in Mexico.  Huge book at the airport just to spend time reading turns into one of the most lauded musicals of all time.

And the whole attention was that Hamilton used words to get out of St Croix after the hurricane, and used words to achieve a LOT in his life.  Hense the rap.  Lin Manuel figured that since Hamllton liked words so much, he would fit right into the modern Hip-Hop scene.

tb (Forum Supporter)
tb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/20 5:29 p.m.

That makes sense, and I really dont think that it was a major distraction. Overall, it is a very entertaining and well done production.

I was just a little shocked to see it being so wrong; it didnt occur to me that it was actually done on purpose for artistic purposes. Honestly, I know nothing of Miranda or Chernow so it is interesting to hear from those who do. I just hope that the masses dont actually think it went down that way...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/6/20 5:41 p.m.

One interesting aspect I kind of like is the sort of "rap" battle they had as a debate, with all the attitude etc.  That is likely a very good representation of how they actually did argue back then.  They got pretty brutal (actual punching was possible).

One aspect that seems to have been altered for some reason, (Wikipedia at least says) Hamilton did not raise his gun, he just missed.  He also did not get shot in the ribs, but above the hip.  Not sure why those where changed.

BTW - Burr was charged with murder.  He was never prosecuted and did finish his term as VP while being charged with murder.

7/6/20 7:12 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

As far as I can tell, Wki is just one of the theories of what happen.  Pretty much the only think that is actual fact is that Burr hit Hamilton and killed him.  The rest is either justification for Burr or Hamilton- depending on what "second" the person is trying to quote.  One says he raised his gun, the other says he shot high but aimed (he did apparently hit a tree behind Burr).

There were other glaring errors- one of them that few even list is that Charles Lee was always Washington's second- Congress appointed him to be.  Lee didn't want to lead the battle of Monmouth, until General Lafayette was appointed leader- and then took it back just before.  The disaster was real, though.  Just that Hamilton had zero chance of leading it, and that Lee always had the choice of command or not.

Let alone the timing- that first murder trial didn't even happen unti 1800- WAY after when it was implied in the play.

But, again, the order makes the story line more compelling.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/6/20 9:10 p.m.
Duke said:

I thought Les Miz had cemented my complete failure to understand the concept of musical theatre, but Hamilton has that beat.  I will just never understand a production about the Revolutionary War period where part of the... whatever the hell it is... is delivered in rap.

I'm a theater fan, came to it later in life, but we buy season tickets to the little, local, repertory (really hoping they survive COVID, they just barely came back after bankruptcy and a huge fund raising campaign) we go to a lot of shows at the larger city theater too, and we've even been  going to shows & fund raisers, supporting the state's Ballet Company, never saw that one coming. 

I've enjoyed most of what I've seen, including a lot of musicals.  Les Miserables' traveling production came to our city theater as a "showcase" kind of performance, to show off the theater's ~3 year multi million dollar renovation.  I had never read Les Mis., never seen a play or movie.  However, it's prevalent enough in pop culture I knew the characters and got the gist.  So we went to Les Mis... I was done by intermission, it was all I could do to stay seated and attempt to pay attention.  The actors were talented, great singers, the set design was neat, Javert jumping off the bridge was cool, they made it as if the audience had a bird's eye view.  I could not buy into the story, and it just drug on, and on, and on, and on.  I get that it's a musical, but I got to the point where I was grumbling to myself, "do you have to sing every. damned. thing? just have a damned conversation already!" 

So yeah, Les Miserables made me miserable, I guess that means it lives up to the name?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALLEMSj3Zc06hoAKT8x4aojnXAvPVAGdbir5LsCky4htmUtlKoeunLcNioIOzu7v