1 2
Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/1/19 8:53 p.m.

Me, I've always preferred summer.  From 8-yo to 16-yo, I delivered newspapers in all seasons. I loved heat and humidity. Thrived in it. I hated cold, wet, snow, ice, and related crap. That stayed with me. I'm loving the current conditions in late July/early August in SoNE. Heat and humidity is good as far as I'm concerned. So, how do you feel about your climate?

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/1/19 8:59 p.m.

I would follow up on my original post by saying my absolute favorite places on hot, sunny days are at Thompson and Lime Rock. (Don't tell Annie). With sun block, of course. So that could be an adjunct to my original post ... where do you like to be in your favorite season?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/1/19 9:07 p.m.

Summer.  When people tell me they prefer cold weather because you can always wear more clothes, I want to smack them upside the head.

Grow food in the winter.  Survive with the power out in the winter.  Have your car break down on a back road in the winter.

Sweating is good for the soul.  Shut off your AC, relish the life giving heat.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/19 9:44 p.m.

Bah, I hate humidity.  I’m willing to tolerate cold if it means not dripping sweat and needing to shower again just as soon as you get out of the shower.  

Frankly, I’d rather have fall year round. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/1/19 9:52 p.m.

It depends. In summer, I prefer winter and in winter I prefer summer. Actually I prefer fall more, moderate temps and not a much pollen as spring.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/19 10:02 p.m.

give me summer. Last week when it was threatening to reach triple digits, I considered turning on the AC in the car.. I never did. I wear a fleece all year around at work as the air being set at a constant 72 is too cold for me

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/19 10:12 p.m.

Winter = hockey

Summer = motorcycle.

I'm conflicted.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
8/1/19 11:06 p.m.

Ever since I quit skiing, and got a motorcycle, I have no use for cold and snow. No berking use, whatsoever. At all. None. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/19 12:47 a.m.

Snow = drift anything RWD. Anything. That alone is worth it.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/19 5:18 a.m.

Summer

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
8/2/19 5:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Snow = drift anything RWD. Anything. That alone is worth it.

might be able to drift on my work, before the city throws down enough salt to start making things rust so fast you can hear it.... 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/2/19 6:16 a.m.
Duke said:

Bah, I hate humidity.  I’m willing to tolerate cold if it means not dripping sweat and needing to shower again just as soon as you get out of the shower.  

Frankly, I’d rather have fall year round. 

Duke has the right season picked out.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/2/19 6:44 a.m.

+2 for Fall.

It's by far my favourite season. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/2/19 6:52 a.m.

The only reason I like spring over fall, in Oklahoma, spring is crazy thunderstorm season.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
8/2/19 6:59 a.m.

I prefer summer.  However, I have neighbors with outdoor speakers dialed to 10 playing "Bro Country" until 1:30 am some weekends.  They don't do that in the winter, so there's that.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/2/19 7:04 a.m.

Region might have a lot to do with it. I berkeleying HAAAAAAATE being hot. That said, we *might* get a week of snow here, so I have no idea what it’s like to deal with that months at a time.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/2/19 7:05 a.m.

Both.  Because if you have a great version of both, then you get both a strong Spring and a wonderful Fall.

I've done part of winter where it doesn't happen- I'd be miserable if I had to live in constant 80-90F.  And my brother lived south of Fairbanks, and I'd be miserable if it regularly got to -40- -60.  As it stands, we get warm in summer- a handful of days over 90, and cold in the winter- a handful of days just below 0.  The only thing that really makes winter here in SE MI suck is the cloud cover- which is higher than many other places.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
8/2/19 7:32 a.m.

Summer is where it's at.  Cold sucks.  Darkness sucks.  Cars don't function well in the cold.  My joints ache in the cold.

Give me some life giving warmth thanks!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
8/2/19 7:50 a.m.

Anything that is outside of 45-65F can piss off. It's almost like my people come from a temperate climate and have not adapted to anything else. Oh sun, no sun either. Clouds and a perpetual mist would be fine, unless it's time to go racing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/19 7:54 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Summer is where it's at.  Cold sucks.  Darkness sucks.  Cars don't function well in the cold.  My joints ache in the cold.

Dense, cold air makes power.  

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
8/2/19 9:06 a.m.

Between the two, winter.

But preferably, from best to worst: Fall, Spring, Winter, Summer

Lately in Kansas though, we haven't been getting much of Fall or Spring. Maybe a couple weeks or so, but that's it. Just one extreme to the next.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/19 9:23 a.m.

Streetwiseguy said:

When people tell me they prefer cold weather because you can always wear more clothes, I want to smack them upside the head.

Why? It's true. Worst of all, heat makes you want to not to anything but sit in front of a fan, and then you feel bad about not getting anything done. If it's cold then you have thermal headroom in which to do things like work or exercise.

If I had to pick one or other other, I'd have to grudgingly pick summer, but I'm happy to take winters in return for milder summers.

Duke said:

This. Even though I have to use moisturizer in low-humidity environments to keep my skin from drying to the point of cracking and bleeding, it's a small price to pay, humidity + heat = the devil.

Appleseed said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Dense, cold air makes power.  

Also this, cold and dry air is the best for a car, it gives the best cooling and the densest charge for ICEs, and you can use powertrain waste heat to make the cabin comfortable if you need to vs. running AC which always takes power.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/2/19 10:07 a.m.

It'll be around 110f here until the end of the month, peaking around 115. I'll take two months of this over two weeks of 30f every time. I don't have AC in my car (though the wife does) and the house only has window units. WINTER BLOWS GOATS!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/2/19 10:18 a.m.

Summer = Scantily-clad women.

'Nuff said.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/19 10:26 a.m.

Fall trumps them all.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners