wae
wae Dork
2/21/18 9:23 a.m.

I've got a pretty nice 600sqft workshop built up in a non-climate controlled storage unit.  Things are working well, but I noticed with some pretty drastic weather swings in the last couple of days that in many places the floor is wet from condensation.  Other than just keeping everything up off the floor on dunnage racks, is there anything I can do about that?  It's rented space so I can go too crazy.  I just realized that I have a dehumidifier that I could put in there - would that take care of it?

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
2/21/18 10:21 a.m.

We have the same problem with a garage attached to the house. A dehumidifier should help a lot but is not an option for us due to occasional freezing temps so we use an oscillating fan directed at the floor. If we keep the door closed it dries the floor in a few hours.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/21/18 10:27 a.m.

You either have to keep it warm or dry. Even if you run a dehumidifier if it's cold inside and warm moist air gets in then things will get wet. I opened the garage door when I knew I shouldn't a week ago and I'm still drying things out. I had enough condensation in 10 minutes that water was dripping off the cars. 

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
2/22/18 3:30 p.m.

The only garages or shops I know of that don't get this condensation have "in floor heat". It's the cold concrete slab and warm moist air that's the problem. Keep the slab warm and you have no issues.

In your case you'll just have to live with it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2l7I0vK6tfJIGaFlD57h9l7v8Ebqd6XLLECgc1dbp0cP4YKZMcpfT15NvBAxTyD7