1 2
RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/16 5:52 p.m.

It’d be interesting to factor gender alimony inequality into gender income inequality to see who’s really coming out ahead.

Let’s say 90% of men marry, 50% ultimately get a divorce, and 75% of divorces result in men having to pay women alimony (0.9 X 0.5 X 0.75 = 0.34)…so, approximately 1/3 of men will wind up redistributing wealth to women at some point in their lives without any value being added.

I’m not arguing against the concept of making the greater wage earner maintain the lesser wage earners standard of living – I’m just pointing out that money is changing hands with no personal benefit taking place in exchange.

The credible gender wage inequality studies tend to come in women making around 85 to 89 cents on the dollar relative to men so let’s call it 87 cents. Given that this is standard accounting where two transactions always cancel each other out (i.e. for every dollar the giver is down, the receiver is up one), we really only need 6.5% redistribution to hit the breakeven point ((1-0.87)/2) = 0.065.

Since I estimated 1/3 of men pay alimony, we multiply the 6.5% times three to get a total population value of 19.5%.

Bottom line, if the average amount of alimony a man has to pay in the event he gets a divorce relative to his life time earnings exceeds 19.5%, women would actually be making more than men when everything is taken into consideration.

Disclaimer, I live in California so my 50% divorce number is probably higher than the national average and I totally guessed that 75% of the time men have to pay...perhaps no pay + women have to pay is greater than 25%.

Whatever, plug in your own estimates and see what the percent of life time earnings number has to be…18%...20%...22%...before we find that women are ultimately making more money than men.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
8/30/16 5:54 p.m.

I hate the fact that a woman can force a man to pay child support yet can choose to have an abortion. If I was in the situation where I was "forced" to pay child support I would definitely hire the best lawyer possible and claim that I didn't want the child. If she is given the choice to have the kid or not why shouldn't the man.

^I'm not going to be put in that situation but theoretically I feel that that opinion is valid unless you chose to have the child together.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/30/16 6:04 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Only have dalliances with married woman.

Finally! The voice of reason.

RX Reven'
8/30/16 6:11 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: I hate the fact that a woman can force a man to pay child support yet can choose to have an abortion. If I was in the situation where I was "forced" to pay child support I would definitely hire the best lawyer possible and claim that I didn't want the child. If she is given the choice to have the kid or not why shouldn't the man. ^I'm not going to be put in that situation but theoretically I feel that that opinion is valid unless you chose to have the child together.

Andy, if I read your post correctly, you’re implying that a man should be able to force a woman to have an abortion.

If that’s the case, you’re going to find very few people agreeing with you and we’re probably going to rocket into a thread locking E36 M3 fest.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
8/30/16 6:20 p.m.

Dont get me started

Straight to jail for not paying child support.... but the state doesn't give a crap about enforcing parenting time..

How about this..

http://kdvr.com/2016/07/27/man-forced-to-pay-child-support-despite-dna-test-results/

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
8/30/16 6:22 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote:
Andy Neuman wrote: I hate the fact that a woman can force a man to pay child support yet can choose to have an abortion. If I was in the situation where I was "forced" to pay child support I would definitely hire the best lawyer possible and claim that I didn't want the child. If she is given the choice to have the kid or not why shouldn't the man. ^I'm not going to be put in that situation but theoretically I feel that that opinion is valid unless you chose to have the child together.
Andy, if I read your post correctly, you’re implying that a man should be able to force a woman to have an abortion. If that’s the case, you’re going to find very few people agreeing with you and we’re probably going to rocket into a thread locking E36 M3 fest.

Not what I am saying at all. I am simply skirting the choice to pay for the child. I personally don't agree with this idea. I'm just saying if they want to give a woman the choice why don't they give the man the choice to be a part of the child's life. Why can a man and women agree to have a one night stand, the woman wants the child the man does not yet has to pay child support.

Personally I feel like everyone should be responsible for their own actions.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
8/30/16 6:42 p.m.

So this isn't an "Amy" thread?

RX Reven'
8/30/16 6:47 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
RX Reven' wrote:
Andy, if I read your post correctly, you’re implying that a man should be able to force a woman to have an abortion. If that’s the case, you’re going to find very few people agreeing with you and we’re probably going to rocket into a thread locking E36 M3 fest.
Not what I am saying at all. I am simply skirting the choice to pay for the child. I personally don't agree with this idea. I'm just saying if they want to give a woman the choice why don't they give the man the choice to be a part of the child's life. Why can a man and women agree to have a one night stand, the woman wants the child the man does not yet has to pay child support. Personally I feel like everyone should be responsible for their own actions.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the clarification - I’m really glad I misunderstood you.

I do appreciate the point you’re making…taxation without representation and all of that.

In my mind, unwanted pregnancy is just one risk along with disease, hurting someone, and getting hurt that we take into consideration when deciding if we’re going to be intimate.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
8/30/16 8:19 p.m.

I'm in agreement with Andy. I've never understood how if a Woman wants to keep the kid, the Father has no say, but he's on the hook $$ wise, but if he wants the kid and she doesn't, tough luck.

qued
qued New Reader
8/30/16 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

I think your talking about Male abortion or legal abortion. Was a debate in Sweden awhile ago. If your interested here is a link http://www.returnofkings.com/83303/should-men-be-allowed-to-have-an-abortion

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/30/16 8:28 p.m.

Being a dork paid off. I didn't have one night stands wondering if my phone would ring on Father's Day. And I have been faithful to wifey for 34 years so I might be good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8nkN0mdB4IPq6hXePPRfFAzV077zi61EPyalCuTYJn80VrqsInpAO3yho5iHyZFp