1 2 3
pheller
pheller PowerDork
8/12/18 11:22 a.m.

Maybe I'm a bit arrogant in this regard, but I still think I'd take "most improved" of my high school class. Pretty much everyone thought I was too weird, spastic, awkward, and lazy to ever end up somewhat "normal" and in a cool town on the opposite side of the country. 

I would totally NOT miss a class reunion to go a concert, but that's all because I'm not much a live music fan. To me, clinging to "old bands" is just as bad as being nostalgic about high school. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 12:46 p.m.

My 30th reunion is coming up in a couple of months. I'm actually flying back to Germany for it, and it looks like a bunch of people who I actually care about and only see every ten years or so are attending.

That said, if the right band was playing it'd be a hard decision. I wasn't exactly the most popular kid in high school so I only tend to go to those reunions that appear to have people show up who I care about.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/12/18 2:14 p.m.

Not a high school reunion, but a similar situation. My end of year trip in grade 8 was a trip to a summer camp for a week. 

I made the executive decision of forgoing the trip to camp, in favor of going to Mosport to see IMSA GTO, GTU, and the little known American Challenge class (basically Trans Am cars with IMSA stickers covering SCCA stickers).

I based my decision on several factors. 

1. I wanted to see how the Audi's would do in IMSA, I saw them in Trans Am the year before. 

2. The Black Flies and Mosquitoes would have been terrible at that time of year at the camp we were going to.

3. I would get to go to school and play floor hockey in the gym all day for the week the rest of the class was gone.

4. I didn't really care for most of my classmates and certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in a cabin for a week with them.

I stand by my decision to this day. All my classmates came back from camp a bloody mess of bites and scabs from picking at the bites. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/12/18 2:32 p.m.

Didn't go to mine.

Didn't like most of them 20 years ago. I doubt it's gotten any better. 

I stay in touch with the few I got along with through Facetwit. That's fine with me.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/12/18 4:45 p.m.

Good call.  I skipped mine because, well, berkeley those shiny happy people. I didn’t want to be around them then, why would I pay to see them now? Maybe I might go to my 20 if I can pull off some kind of “look at me now”. 

My wife was equally an outcast and only went to her 10 because her brother graduated with her and he died in Iraq. She enjoyed telling the people that bullied them how much her brother hated them when they went to give their condolences.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/12/18 4:59 p.m.

Our 10 year was in a bar. Only good thing was the cheerleader getting drunk and topless. 

Im gonna skip all until 40. If then. The only people i cared about in school i still generally hang out with.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/12/18 5:46 p.m.

Graduated HS over 40 years ago, never been to one reunion.

Nothing to see there. I keep in touch w/ friends otherwise.

I'd rather clean the bathroom than attend a HS reunion.

Bonus points to Patrick for the concert.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 6:06 p.m.
dropstep said:

I missed my 10 year just to stay home and work on a friends car. A concert would have been funnier.

I didn;t feel like going to my tenth.. I was literally working next door. I could have walked out at the end of my shift on the air, gone next door, and joined the party. I went home instead

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 7:03 p.m.

I spent my tenth hanging out with the date of a very quiet girl that I didn't really remember from school.  The girl was off with old friends, as was my ex-wife who graduated the same year. Her date however, was also a girl and was currently working as a dominatrix from a trailer in a park on the other side of town.  It was a memorable night to say the least.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 7:09 p.m.

Anyone I wanted to hang out with in high school, I still do. The rest of them can kiss off. 

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
8/12/18 8:14 p.m.

I went to the 5th and 10th, and can't remember if I went to the 15th. Skipped the 20th. But my oldest friend - since kindergarten - told me it was a great time, and convinced me to go to the 25th. 

It was at a classmate's 4,000 Sq ft house, on Lakeshore Drive. It was $60/person; granted it was all you can eat and drink. The food sucked, and I had two beers. I chatted with the same three people I'm regularly in contact with. I left after an hour. 

The 30th was a couple years ago, again at the classmate's even bigger mansion, for more cover charge. berkeley that noise. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
8/12/18 8:52 p.m.

Timing has usually been bad for all of my class reunions, not that I'm that interested anyway. The people I would like to see did just what I did and left. 10 year I had just signed into a new army duty station after an advanced army school, SWMBO was pregnant with #2 daughter and we were halfway across the country. 20 year I had just retired from the army and was a full-time college student and again halfway across the country. Didn't know about any 30 year or 40 year reunion so naturally didn't go to those either and again halfway across the country. Maybe the 50 year which is in 8 years, I should be retired by then and have time. The people I wouldn't mind seeing are my friends on the book of faces anyway.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/18 10:32 p.m.

Hah. I just realized this is the 30th reunion year for me, too. I've not gone to any of them. I don't see the point.

WilD
WilD Dork
8/13/18 8:12 a.m.

My highschool graduation class is at the tail end of Gen X, and as little as I like to ascribe individual behaviour to larger demographic trends, there seemed to be something to the general cynacism of our group.  Consequently, we did not even have a 20 year reunion.  There ws a small rumbling amongst a few people that maybe we should have a reunion, but the idea received very little traction and just quietly didn't happen.  Many of us may have been pleased that it didn't happen if we weren't so committed to not caring at all.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/13/18 8:59 a.m.

Wife wanted to go to her 20 year reunion several years back. I didn't really want to go, but free booze so what are you going to do. I spent the whole night pretending I was Hans the German foreign exchange student. It was a blast. I had people all night telling me stories about all the crazy things we did together. I just nodded my head, and agreed. I don't speak very good english you know.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/18 9:39 a.m.

My wife was our class president and it will be 30 years next year.  We have not had a single one because my said she owuld not plan it, have not really missed anything either.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
8/13/18 1:04 p.m.

My wife and I graduated the same year from the same high school, and neither one of us has any interest in going to a reunion.  We made some excuse for skipping the five year, but we don't even bother making an excuse anymore.  We still keep up with a couple people, but if I haven't seen a person in the last ten years, I don't know why I would want to go see them now.  I certainly don't have the social skills to pretend that I missed them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/13/18 1:21 p.m.

My 10 year is coming up. I have something else going on, and my wife is pregnant and not interested in going out to a bar, so we're bailing. We'd have gone if we didn't have anything better to do, but we do. Nobody that I really would love to see (only talk to one person really), but nobody that I would despise seeing either. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
8/13/18 2:13 p.m.

Amateurs.......I went to my 50th last weekend.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/13/18 2:54 p.m.
Patrick said:

Yes I know, you’ve waited 20 years to see me, realize that my kids and cars and wife are cooler than yours, but I had to bail.  Social Distortion was in town, catch you at the 30 year reunion, maybe.

laugh

That's only because you were Born to Lose.   laugh

Hal
Hal UltraDork
8/13/18 5:55 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

Went to my 55th two years ago.  Hadn't been to one since the 30th. Not going to the 60th.  All the people I wanted to see are already dead.

chada75
chada75 Reader
8/14/18 4:16 a.m.

Nevermind the HS reunions, I can't remember the HS teachers from twenty years ago.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/14/18 8:01 a.m.

My 40th will be in 2020. Haven't been to one yet.

5 and 10 year reunions happened to be the same weekend as Super Cycle Weekend at Road America, which I bought tickets for well in advance of the reunion date being announced.

Ex-wife was in the same class,  really don't want to see her, so between that and the reunions being held at some pretty lame locations, I really don't have any desire to go. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 8:03 a.m.
racerdave600 said:
Patrick said:

Yes I know, you’ve waited 20 years to see me, realize that my kids and cars and wife are cooler than yours, but I had to bail.  Social Distortion was in town, catch you at the 30 year reunion, maybe.

laugh

That's only because you were Born to Lose.   laugh

Story of my life 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/15/18 12:59 p.m.

I graduated in 2000. We were the "Class of the FUTURE!!!!". laugh

5 years later, some classmates were buzzing about the 5-year reunion. It's usually held the day after Thanksgiving, which is stupid. I don't know if this is like this in other areas of the country, but the night BEFORE Thanksgiving is basically one of the greatest "go to hometown bars to hang out and have beers with your friends" nights on the calendar. Well, at least it is until you turn 30 and it becomes frowned upon.  

But, as I'm out in my hometown, and all my former classmates and current friends are bouncing around to the local watering holes, people started asking if I was going to the reunion.

My response: Nope.

I got asked why, and my response to that was this:

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE DOING RIGHT NOW???" 

Seriously! EVERYONE who was going to be at that reunion was where we were, including the guy asking that question. Their response to that: "Oh... uhh... yeah!" 

11 years later, I could care even less about going. I've made plenty of connections with some of the "extended circle of friends" classmates from back in the day on social media, and I hang out with most of the people I hung out with way back then, with a few new members of the crew here and there. I'd honestly rather hang out on my couch and watch Star Trek with the wife and dog. smiley 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RgcI2iYnAX4qLFDTBNHBjmKZSmYUfqq735v4GNpQ6uGdPF0gGODwJ40E8oQbLDUb