BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
12/10/08 2:03 p.m.

Court rules NJ couple can sue Ford over accident

The Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. - A state appeals court has ordered a new trial for a Middlesex County couple who sued Ford Motor Co. after their SUV flipped over on Route 78 in 2001.

Patricio Paredes suffered brain injuries in the accident, which occurred after he swerved to avoid another car that cut in front of him.

He and wife Laura sued Ford, claiming the Explorer was defectively designed. The car company contended that the design was consistent with industry standards and that Paredes' steering maneuvers had contributed to the rollover.

A jury returned a verdict in favor of Ford. But the appellate panel ruling published on Wednesday found that the trial judge didn't properly instruct the jury and ordered the new trial.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/10/08 3:10 p.m.

Yes. And the new jury will also return a verdict in favor of Ford. The Blue Oval needs a break!

What's next, trying to sue McDonalds and Wendy's because I ate their food and it made me fat? Oh wait. That was already attempted.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/08 3:46 p.m.

the press release of my dreams:

A senior defense attorney hired by the Ford Motor Company was charged with contempt of court and fined one penny for showing up to the Paredes trial wearing a t-shirt with the inscription:

F=mA, berkeleytards!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/10/08 4:58 p.m.

I love how they made "you can't drive" sound so technical in their defense.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
12/11/08 8:41 a.m.

This is very similar to the Willie Shoemaker trial.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cLc7iSF64JLcRcFFzU0hm1BeGNqYgdbfiZlG7Mk1WLakdGV6xMDmYiQn674KyVl