1 2
Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
1/16/17 4:36 p.m.

Hi GRMers,

Who's in South Central PA? Wife and I are looking at moving to the Harrisburg area this summer. I'd like to network with some folks living there (bonus points if you are available to meet up, we will be doing a reconnaissance trip in March) to get a perspective since we are just starting to make concrete plans.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/17 4:39 p.m.

I'm in Maryland, just north of Baltimore about an hour away. There's a ton of fun driving roads about 30-45 minutes from Harrisburg. The forum seems to have a handful of active members from that vicinity.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
1/16/17 5:27 p.m.

Where are you expecting to work?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/17 7:10 p.m.

Southern pennsyltucky as my sister (who lives in Carlisle calls it)? I think Curtis is out that way

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
1/16/17 7:16 p.m.

The Nelson's are in York. GRM legends.

captdownshift
1/16/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

He is, but he hasn't been on much since it's trip to Ikea. Things must be going well...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/17 7:57 p.m.

Ross413 is in southern Chester County, and I'm in northern Delaware. Maybe an hour or so from Harrisburg?

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
1/16/17 7:58 p.m.

I'm 12 miles west of Gettysburg. Definitely available for a meet up.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/16/17 8:24 p.m.

I live(ish) in Elizabethtown and have been house shopping south of Harrisburg, let me know if you have any question.

Paul B

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/16/17 8:35 p.m.

I'm an hour or so east, just east of Reading

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
1/16/17 10:31 p.m.

I'm to the east in Downingtown. Was out next to Hershey today for a few hours.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/17 7:41 a.m.

I'm in Carlisle. It's actually a pretty good area for car culture, with auto x and rally x in the Harrisburg/Hershey area, car shows in Carlisle, and plenty of good driving roads around, as Captain DS mentions. Let me know when you're in the area and we can do a meet up, and if you have any specific questions regarding housing, employment, ect. I'll do my best to answer.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/17 10:07 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to mad_machine: He is, but he hasn't been on much since it's trip to Ikea. Things must be going well...

Good God things are going brilliantly. I'll spare you the private details.

Yes. I live in Carlisle and work in Harrisburg. Also currently shopping for a house for myself.

Let me know when you're in town or if you have any questions. I grew up here, then left in 1992, then came back three years ago, so I'm pretty well versed in all things southern PA.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/17/17 11:44 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Yo Curtis - check your PM's!

I like the Southern Pennsyltucky area. Seems to be a great place to have classic cars.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/17 12:16 p.m.

It's a pretty good place to be in general. Houses are cheap, cost of living is low, accessibility to major cities is good (Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are all within 3.5-4 hours at most), job market is OK, not overcrowded, lots of hiking/outdoors stuff...

Growing up here, I couldn't wait to go somewhere different for college and beyond. Spent my college years in upstate NY and when it came time to find a job and settle somewhere afterwards, I decided to come back, something I would not have predicted a few years prior. It was just the right set of compromises for me.

knb13
knb13 Reader
1/17/17 12:29 p.m.

I live near Lancaster and work outside Harrisburg.... I like the area. Grew up around here, traveled for work around the country, still like this area.

Welcome to PA!

captdownshift
1/17/17 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

if you're in the road construction business it's a place of perpetual employment.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
1/18/17 7:28 p.m.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sending some PMs.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/18/17 8:02 p.m.

Our local group runs fun autocrosses near Newark, DE. But that's more than an hour from HBurg.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/17 10:04 p.m.

I'm trying to find the link to central PA car shows but not finding it. There is a facebook page for it though.

Also, get familiar with Carlisle Events. Largest car show/swap meet on the east coast.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
1/18/17 11:47 p.m.

I live and work in York. A nice area to live if you asked my opinion. Unfortunately all my free time has seemed to disappear in the past year.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
3/12/17 7:29 p.m.

So, we have planned our recon trip up to Harrisburg next weekend. Talked to some of you on here and I appreciate the feedback/advice.

If anyone is free next weekend and wants to meet up and talk, shoot me a PM!

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
3/13/17 10:22 a.m.

This coming weekend or next-next weekend? March 25 and 26 are big local autocrosses at Hershey Park. There's also, you know, Hershey park chocolate world and Troeg's Brewery right down the street if beer is your thing.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/17 10:42 a.m.

Can't speak for Central PA specifically, but Pennsylvania is pretty great!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
3/13/17 10:58 a.m.

Mr. and Mrs Volvoclearinghouse and our two youngins, 11 chickens, dog, and a dozen or so Volvos (among other cars) are just south of the PA/MD border, between Littlestown (appropriately named) and Westminster (is there a regular Minster?)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s9gDAO5kxrSr6j5QtolsyGctSpP5aB58GpEBCQfvGXFq4LGYDB7zG2XhPnx3KhTL