1 2 3 4 5
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/12 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Osterkraut:

Of course we are. I should have just said "No osterkraut" based upon your complete zeal from the last time this came up. I am not wasting any more time or breath on you, because you will never, ever listen or change simply because it's either me or plants. So I am recognizing this and moving the berk on with my life. Good day to you, sir.

Javelin
12/12/12 1:43 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

On the pasta, try different kinds of pasta. We switched to whole-grain pasta and I've tried and liked some of the gluten-free stuff, like quinoa pasta. The big thing on those is just portion control. Less pasta, moar sauce! Make sure you are heavy on the non-carb side dishes (asparagus, broccoli, green beans, spinach, etc).

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/12 1:47 p.m.

What about "Clean" eating?

Everyone I know who Eats "clean" does so while downing 90oz of Tuna blended with 2 cups of wey protien with a side of 6 hardboiled eggs while trying to pick up my car just because they need to max reps before coming into my house so they are not as easy to relate to as they could be. It's hard to pull the good info out when they are so busy doing squat thrusts.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
12/12/12 1:47 p.m.

I think portion control is the main issue. I can, will and enjoy eating a pound of pasta by myself.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
12/12/12 1:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: If you're on the west coast, seek out a chain called "Veggie Grill", it's like a vegan Applebee's, it's insanely good. That'll give you an idea of how meat-like the fake stuff can be. Plus, onion rings!

At this point, you have lost any and all credibility you ever had. Saying that a restaurant is like an Applebee's and it is good? No.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
12/12/12 1:50 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Osterkraut: Of course we are. I should have just said "No osterkraut" based upon your complete zeal from the last time this came up. I am not wasting any more time or breath on you, because you will never, ever listen or change simply because it's either me or plants. So I am recognizing this and moving the berk on with my life. Good day to you, sir.

It's you. Ever since you said stocks weren't real money I've been keeping an eye on your outlandish claims. Good day, sir!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
12/12/12 1:50 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Javelin wrote: If you're on the west coast, seek out a chain called "Veggie Grill", it's like a vegan Applebee's, it's insanely good. That'll give you an idea of how meat-like the fake stuff can be. Plus, onion rings!
At this point, you have lost any and all credibility you ever had. Saying that a restaurant is like an Applebee's and it is good? No.

+1. Odd thing for a west coaster to say.

Javelin
12/12/12 2:01 p.m.
mtn wrote:

Sorry, I haven't been to any good "semi-formal" chains in a long time. What's good to get kicked out of these days that does good grilling? Chilis? TGIF? Shennanigan's?

VeggieGrill is just damn good, sorry for the crappy comparison.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
12/12/12 2:03 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
mtn wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Hope this helps. Oh and Evan Williams is fat free so you are good there.
But it is not calorie free. Weight loss happens when calories in < calories out. Scientific fact.
Scientific fact: You can eat whatever the berkeley you want without gaining a pound, so long as you use the energy from it.

Yes, calories in = calories burned basically means weight staying steady. But that's not the same thing as being healthy. If I burn 4000 calories per day and eat KFC and McDonalds to get that many calories, I don't think I'd be too healthy.

Javelin, The only thing I'd suggest is making sure you've looked into the long term effects of a diet lacking protein. It's awesome that you've lost weight, but make sure you're not hurting your health in the long run.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/12/12 2:07 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Yes, calories in = calories burned basically means weight staying steady. But that's not the same thing as being healthy. If I burn 4000 calories per day and eat KFC and McDonalds to get that many calories, I don't think I'd be too healthy.

I know a guy who does exactly that, and he's healthy according to his doctor.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
12/12/12 2:15 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Don't over-do the push-ups as you can end up with bad wrists.

Push up bars or use dumbells.

More range of motion, gets ride of the angle/pressure on your wrists.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
12/12/12 2:19 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Yes, calories in = calories burned basically means weight staying steady. But that's not the same thing as being healthy. If I burn 4000 calories per day and eat KFC and McDonalds to get that many calories, I don't think I'd be too healthy.
I know a guy who does exactly that, and he's healthy according to his doctor.

http://www.eiu.edu/famsci/portion.php

I don't recommend buying it for $50, but it is an interesting watch. Premise of it is 2 graduate students eat only fast food for a month. One is a weight lifter, the other is a small girl who is in some sort of health-related major. Both of them were healthy to start with. Their health actually improved at the end of the month!

Javelin
12/12/12 2:29 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Javelin, The only thing I'd suggest is making sure you've looked into the long term effects of a diet lacking protein. It's awesome that you've lost weight, but make sure you're not hurting your health in the long run.

Thank you. I eat the recommended levels of protein daily. Vegetables and nuts have protein and I regularly eat recipes that are or include protein-rich ingredients, such as lentils, garlic, almonds, wheat, chickpeas, and soy. Legumes (beans) are high in protein concentration and a staple of my diet.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
12/12/12 2:33 p.m.

Uh, I hate working ou. I hate being flabby even more. Gave in in October and started going to the gym 2x a week. Worked with a trainer to set up a beginer's routine to get started, that's typically a gratis service to members. Picked one on the way home from work to increase the likelihood of going.

I just accepted that I don't get enough exercise (desk job) and that my overall heath would benefit from the gym. It helps to have a flexible minset - don't feel bad if you have to change nights sometimes based on your schedule, and don't let a missed visit become an excuse for missing the next time. Accept that results will take time (though you'll start to feel better almost right away), don't get discouraged if you can only go twice a week (something is better than nothing) and just take the mindset that this has to be a part of your life from now on. Good luck.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/12/12 2:43 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: Running is hard on the knees for three reasons. 1. Most people run on pavement. < No no. Go offroad. 2. The human body really isn't designed for long distance running. Sprinting and walking. Going hiking with a weighted pack would work better than running your ass down 20 miles of road. 3. Most running shoes have you hitting the ground heel first instead of on the balls of your feet.

Good form fixes most knee problems, as far as I can see. Within 4 months of starting to run, I changed from a heel strike to a midfoot strike- knee problems have been laregly gone. Only when I try long distances after an extended no run period do I get issues.

IMHO, the human body is VERY much designed for long distance running- far far better than any other form out there. 4 legged animals can't run for a long time, since the form keeps them from breathing efficently- humans can do it for a long time. We are hairless- so we can cool efficiently.

I don't think putting an artificial weight on your back is good for you if running is bad. You change your body and walking form doing that (ask ANY mother if they like walking).

and running shoes are designed to heel strike- yes. but that does not mean that you have to. I am looking into lesser shoes- ones with minimal lift. But my running form is kind of messed up from ice skating for most of my younger days- instead of keeping my feet ~shoulder width apart- they end up in a very straight line- whcih means I strike from out to in, thus slapping my foot sideways. darn it.

Anyway- Atkins got me from 230 to 200. + Aerobics (which we did before as well) got me to 190. Running got that down to 172, but I'm up just over 180 right now. Want to get back to 172- felt so good.

Running can suck- certainly. But if you slow down (as fox metioned)- you also get to enjoy your surroundings. Check out that neighborhood. You can also sightsee on vacation- which really rocks. And there are some killer races that you can do internationally- we did a half marathon that started and finished on the Monza circuit. It was awesome! YMMV- running isn't for everyone- but it works for us.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/12/12 2:43 p.m.

You should find an Ultimate Frisbee league. Two-three nights a week and you'll be in better shape than you've ever been.

lastsnare
lastsnare New Reader
12/12/12 2:46 p.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: .... Picked one on the way home from work to increase the likelihood of going. ...

I did something similar, I go right to the gym from work (because if I go home first, eat something, sit down in front of the TV....my evening is automatically a total loss :P )

My gym is a good combination of eye candy, and zero tolerance for grunting by meat-heads while lifting. The only annoying thing is that the personal trainers that work at the gym are 'loud talkers,' it's like their trick to appear cool or something....but I put my earbuds in and it bothers me less, and then they don't talk to me :D

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
12/12/12 2:49 p.m.
mtn wrote: http://www.eiu.edu/famsci/portion.php I don't recommend buying it for $50, but it is an interesting watch. Premise of it is 2 graduate students eat only fast food for a month. One is a weight lifter, the other is a small girl who is in some sort of health-related major. Both of them were healthy to start with. Their health actually improved at the end of the month!

One month maybe. I'd like to see the results after 5 years!!

Javelin, Sounds great. There are many sources of protein, not all of them animal based, so it's great you're including those. I use some nuts and beans as a source as well, but my digestive system can only take so much of them.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
12/12/12 2:55 p.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: Uh, I hate working ou. I hate being flabby even more. Gave in in October and started going to the gym 2x a week.

Take it for what it's worth, which isn't much.

I've noticed when I work out 2 times a week I don't see any improvement. Things barely stay the same.

Three times a week seems to be the magic threshold, for me at least. This is when I start to quickly see and feel the difference. Muscle mass & tone, ability to trot up many flights of stairs with ease, less jiggling, etc.

Recently I read or heard about a study that documented this. Maybe it was in one of the fitness magazines. The results as I recall were that people who worked out 2 times I week didn't gain. The body wasn't pushed enough.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/12/12 3:28 p.m.

I can eat less than 2000 calories per day and stay moderately active and not loose an ounce. (I hover at 230 myself) Once I add a 30 minute daily walk (brisk, I cover 2 miles in 30 min) the weight starts to drop. Forget the gym membership and the home gym equipment. Forget the daily P90X routine. Just start getting your heart rate up consistently. You can start with one mile, then work to 1.5 then 2 and 2.5.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/12/12 3:52 p.m.
Any hope of finding some sort of exercise you don't hate?

PLEASE! That's kind of what I was looking for. What I'm saying is, my calorie intake isn't getting any lower. What the hell am I supposed to do every night at 8PM (after dinner) or every morning at 5:30 (before the kid gets up) in the way of excercise. So far, going to the Gym has been the best suggestion. I might look into that after all the crazy "New Years Resolution" folks leave.

As far as the whole "You're drastically under-reporting your calorie intake" thing. Care to show me how? Are the numbers on the box all lies or something?

2 eggs - just eggs. No slathering in butter or cheese or anything = 200 calories.

1/2 fruit bowl from Kroger for lunch = 80-100 calories.

Light snacking (the only reason I do this is because I was told this was better than having 3 meals a day???) Rice cake, vegetables, nuts, or a small (100 calorie) cup of cottage cheese = another 200 calories max in the afternoon.

One gnarly IPA on the way home. Slightly over-estimated at 200 calories.

I tried to over-estimate dinner at 500 calories. We don't eat huge portions or crazy fat southern lady recipes or anything. Average meal is, like I said, a protein (like a small chicken breast) couple table spoons of potatoes, lots of veggies (broccoli, corn, carrots, peas, brussel sprouts, etc.)

2-3 drinks with roughly 2+ shots of vodka each and diet tonic water, roughly 200 calories each = 400-600

That's 1600-1800 calories, right? Am I that bad at math?

Find a softball league. Or an inline hockey league. Or an ice hockey league. Or a flag football league. Or a basketball league. Or whatever. Puts the fun back in it.

Flag football would be pretty rad. I could really get into that. But jesus, again, when am I going to find the TIME? As it is, I get home at 6:30 at the VERY earliest - it's dark, and that only leaves me an hour to hang with the coolest kid in the world.

We MIGHT be able to sneak down to the basement and do a 1 hour workout (uhhhh. huh-huh.) but that's back to the whole "Run this way. Now run that way. Now pick this up. Now put it down. Now pick it up a different way." Can't stand the E36 M3. And the treadmill makes me want to put a gun in my mouth, and is rough on the already-injured-from-skateboarding knees.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/12/12 4:03 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I can eat less than 2000 calories per day and stay moderately active and not loose an ounce. (I hover at 230 myself) Once I add a 30 minute daily walk (brisk, I cover 2 miles in 30 min) the weight starts to drop. Forget the gym membership and the home gym equipment. Forget the daily P90X routine. Just start getting your heart rate up consistently. You can start with one mile, then work to 1.5 then 2 and 2.5.

I am the exact opposite. I will drop weight cause of the way I eat and I will not cause of exercise.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/12 4:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
mtn wrote:
Sorry, I haven't been to any good "semi-formal" chains in a long time. What's good to get kicked out of these days that does good grilling? Chilis? TGIF? Shennanigan's? VeggieGrill is just damn good, sorry for the crappy comparison.

BTW, Fire On The Mountain here in PDX does vegan "wings" the wife loves them. Their fries, tots, onion rings, pickles are also all good. Since she eats dairy, she loves their blue cheese stuffed shrooms. The fish and chips are damned good as well. Of course their beer and sauces are made in house and damned good.

Also, you need to learn to walk away from a discussion. Its okay if you think people are wrong on the internet, you don't have to win every argument, take a step back and go play with the kiddo, come back later. You may find that you're wrong or that they perhaps the point was misstated or that they are in fact actually wrong, but you won't be so worked up and it won't be pointed out in such a way to put people on edge.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/12 4:23 p.m.

I would recomend increasing your calories in the morning time. Your eating 2000per day but doing it all at night. I know I've had issues before where I try low calorie morning/lunch and get 1000 or so at night and don't lose weight despite how I excercise. If I eat ~800 or so Callorie breckfast, 600-800 lunch and then small meal at dinner I loose a lot.

Need to get back to that too..

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
12/12/12 4:34 p.m.

Eat less-move more. It doesn't matter what you think your caloric intake is, it's too high. You don't need a lot of exercise, I lost 30 lb sitting in my recliner after bypass surgery. The 2000 calorie diet I was on didn't come close to the amount of food I had been eating. Start reading the labels of anything that's packaged and understand what a serving is vs the portion you normally eat. Eat better stuff. I can eat a lot of fruit for the calories you're consuming in booze. My wife has lost 32 lb since May by reducing the amount of food she eats and walking 35 minutes every day. We eat pasta twice a week, pizza on Saturday night, chicken,pork and steak once every week. Portion control is critical, a 0.75 lb chicken breast feeds 3 of us. More fruit and veggies, less of anything baked.It's takes self control, not rocket science. And, if you must have a beer try a Labatt's Blue NA.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8cQ4kvqLn4GnOiMF5O6tjtXYDlZTCTLaAmP7920oIxVFPqyF3yE7aB5hXDYkmRsw