mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/10/08 1:27 p.m.

Recently came across a reference to "monos, stoppies and slides." I know that a stoppie is putting the bike up on it's front tire under braking, and a slide is exactly what it sounds like. Is a mono another work for wheelie?

ApexC
ApexC Reader
9/10/08 1:31 p.m.

Yepper. Although I suppose it could technically apply to stoppies, too, since you're on one wheel, it generally refers to wheelies.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
9/10/08 5:29 p.m.

Wow, I had a sportbike for nearly 4 years and never heard a wheelie referred to as a "mono."

Must be something from the "icy hot stunna's"

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
9/10/08 7:42 p.m.

Sounds British to me.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
9/10/08 10:41 p.m.

while we're at it: high siding vs. low siding.

I've got a theory that high siding is falling into the slide, low siding is falling away from...?

ApexC
ApexC Reader
9/10/08 11:20 p.m.

Vice versa, if I catch your drift.

If you're leaned over in a corner and you lose the front end, you fall down - onto the 'low' side.

Like this:

If you lose the back, momentum swings the back end wide, and if it hooks back up, that momentum keeps going outward, which makes the vertical axis of the bike like a big catapult, which tosses the rider over the top of the bike, or the 'high' side.

Like this: (In this pictures, he's probably traveling to the right of the frame.)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
9/10/08 11:31 p.m.

I see. I was thinking bike, not rider!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/11/08 6:21 a.m.

High siding is usually preceded by a "tank slapper"; the bars go full left to full right 20 times in a split second.

Fun stuff.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
9/11/08 6:35 a.m.

BTDT not fun

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
9/11/08 7:02 a.m.

Yeah, that's why most motorcycle classes (MSF, etc) teach you to stay on the rear brake if it locks and ride it to a stop. If you release the rear once the back has stepped out, "pfooomp!" (that's the sound of you being thrown through the air like a rag doll).

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/11/08 9:46 a.m.

Lowsides are the motorcycle God's way of showing you that you really aren't as in control as you think you are.

If you want to see some bikes that are all worked out of shape and on the edge of control watch the Isle Of Mann TT highlight videos.

Tankslapper into a ? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xnKoqQYi0

Lowside into double flip off of cliff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutP6CUpKj4

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/11/08 10:35 a.m.

Highside 20 seconds in

Lowside some 30 seconds in.

Highsides scare me, I have only had one, thankfully it was on an enduro, and I landed in a large growth of moss...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/11/08 10:46 a.m.

Oh yes, highsides are scary. It's only happened to me a couple of times (on dirt, thankfully!) and that's enough. A lowside or slide is no fun either but it doesn't hold a candle to a highside.

Off road, generally a lowside turns into a highside. You start out sliding with the wheels going in the direction of travel, then the tires grab traction or you hit something and the bike then flips over into the direction of travel, tossing the poor operator of said bike in the direction of the flip. Ow ow OW ow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N0WCuiknflP8PHkgVRFAifDGeiimnBDo868EBttJXRhQ7d2j9so6hriUTpMi6eDu