1 2 3
HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/14/08 7:53 a.m.

I am not all that fond of A-B beers, but still I am sad that they didn't fight this off, if for no reason other than american pride. I guess profit is realy the only thing that matters today. http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/belgian-brewer-to-buy-anheuser-busch/20080714063509990001

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/14/08 8:06 a.m.

Another American icon gets sold off.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/14/08 8:09 a.m.

maybe some of their products will taste good now?

I'll bet they saw this global hops shortage and wanted out.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 8:13 a.m.

I think the Initrode takeover will be fine, they don't have the stupid TPS reports and since the building burned down our beloved Initech hasn't been the same.

Besides, Michael and Samir like Budweiser.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
7/14/08 8:15 a.m.

Hard to beat an ice cold Bud after mowing the lawn

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/14/08 8:49 a.m.

Because you barely taste anything at 32 degress...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/14/08 8:56 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: Hard to beat an ice cold Bud after mowing the lawn

Brawndo is the thirst mutilator..

not bud

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/14/08 9:54 a.m.

the only product of thiers i will even go near is Michelob honey. it is decent.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/14/08 10:00 a.m.

I dunno, Mich Ultra is a decent utility beer. Otherwise, they don't brew anything I like.

Those damn slimline cans are a PITA, though. No one makes a Koozie for them.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/14/08 10:02 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
ManofFewWords wrote: Hard to beat an ice cold Bud after mowing the lawn
Brawndo is the thirst mutilator.. not bud

Yeah. It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Bud doesn't.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
7/14/08 10:03 a.m.

They took the deal to avoid a nasty drawn out ordeal where InBev would have gotten the shareholders to get rid of the board to then accept the deal.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 10:12 a.m.

+1 on what z31 said

Last time I drank any A-B product was a Bud-light. Long story short, it was free, and I dumped it after half a bottle. I'm more partial to a pilsener, or stout, than a lager

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/14/08 10:59 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Because you barely taste anything at 32 degress...

According to the billboards along the freeway, Coors Light tastes "Cold".

(I know it's not Bud, but I lump all the major-label domestics together.)

Josh
Josh Reader
7/14/08 10:13 p.m.

Yeah, that's cause they want to make sure you don't accidentally drink it above mouth-nubming temperatures, and learn how horrific it actually tastes.

Which reminds me, I am a little pissed at A-B right now, I accidentally bought one of their beers the other day. I saw this "Shock Top" Belgian Wheat on sale at a local store, and figured it was worth a shot on a hot summer day. I get it home, and I finally notice the "born on date" logo, and my heart sank. Sure enough, the Anheuser Busch name was on the label in tiny print. I figure if your reputation is so bad among people who take beer seriously that you think you have to hide your identity to be able to sell it, you probably just shouldn't bother. Because the way I see it, if it's actually any good, wouldn't it bolster the reputation of your brand to have the name prominently displayed? The only reason to hide it is that you don't want people to know it's probably crap. Anyway, it was basically a half Blue Moon half Bud Light with the orange already in it. I still have 4 more bottles of this stuff to make disappear, and to think I could have just paid the extra two bucks and had some Allagash White :(.

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
7/15/08 12:35 a.m.

Considering that more than half of the keg parties in town have Natural Light, with the "premium" beer being Bud Light, I don't think many people really care how their beer tastes.

When it comes to cheap beer, I'm partial to Yuengling.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/15/08 1:11 a.m.
  • 1 for yuengling. what other large breweries are still american owned and operated?
poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/15/08 8:42 a.m.
ignorant said:maybe some of their products will taste good now?

plus juan. Stella > Buttwiper.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/15/08 9:05 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:

Oh yes. Stella Artois is yummy. I keep some of that in the Garage Majal beer fridge, along with Yuengling.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/08 9:14 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:

I don't even know you anymore.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/15/08 9:17 a.m.

That "born on date" thing is funny. Real beer has to age. "Fresh" beer is skanky.

Bud regular gives me a migrane. It just isn't worth 3 days of pain.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/15/08 9:46 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

Has the boy gone upmarket on ya?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/15/08 9:50 a.m.
Jensenman wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Has the boy gone upmarket on ya?

nope.. In the UK Stella has the nickname of "Wife Beater" because thats what you do when you drink it....

Internationally.. he's right where he should be.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/15/08 10:17 a.m.

That's funny, isn't Stella the "actor's beer" here in the colonies?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 10:37 a.m.

A joke:

One day the Presidents of Budweiser, Coors, Miller, and Guinness breweries all got together for a meeting to discuss the industry. They decided to take a brake and go grab some lunch.

After sitting down, the waitress came up and asked them, "Can I get you gentlemen something to drink?"

"I am the president of Budweiser," said the president of Budweiser, "And I will have a nice cold Budweiser."

"I am the president of Coors," said the president of Coors, "And I will have a Coors."

"I am the president of Miller," said the president of Miller, "And I will have a Miller Genuine Draft."

"I am the president of Guinness," said the president of Guinness, "And I'll have an orange soda."

The heads of the other three companies all looked at the president of Guinness.

"What?" asked the president of Guinness, "Nobody else is ordering a beer. I figured I wouldn't either."

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/15/08 11:08 a.m.

I would reckon with the buyout of the last American super-brewery, that really opens up for the good beers made here byh the micro breweries. With the buyout of the giants, they can stop buying out the little guys and ruining their beer. In Colorado we have Bristol Brewery which just makes some freaking awesome beers. Breckingridge and a host of others are here as well.

I was just in Atlanta over the 4th and had a "Sweetwater" which is a local brew, that was a surpringsinly good beer.

Even Blue Moon (owned by Coors) is a decent brew, but yeah, anyhting i gotta freaking freeze to enjoy is crap.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xoarwbnHEeXKJFkoRWnfpuQpoxNlsUZ8Sjjf4795gUWrCtPIZSBtmHM0orbaiHJZ