1 2 3
alex
alex SuperDork
2/13/11 12:46 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Also, what about these foot prints in the snow? Did they go just to the one window with the bad sash? Or did the prints go around the whole house like they checked all entrances?

The footprints don't indicate any interest in any other entrances, but the window he chose is the one that's most temptingly accessible. The rest of the windows are both uncomfortably high and more exposed to neighbors. I think he may have been prepared to break the window, but knew enough to look for the signs of a fallen sash, and knew that meant he wouldn't need to break it and draw extra attention.

Dr. Hess wrote: Were there signs of a vehicle outside the gate?

No signs of a vehicle (I live on a moderately trafficed city street), but the footprints indicate at least one trip out of my gate, to the street, then back again. With the amount of stuff he took, I don't think he'd be able to carry it any distance.

Dr. Hess wrote: You mention facebook. Was this party talked about on your facebook page? Did one of your "friends" read that and hit you?

Actually, this is one of the few events that haven't been talked up on FB. No invites or any other notices; it was all person-to-person, word of mouth. And the party was populated by people who I know well and trust. Really, I'm looking for that connection, but I'm not finding anything.

Dr. Hess wrote: What was not taken? That is, if other things of value were left and the guitars went, that would indicate a guitar person.

Nothing. And I'd argue that none of the guitars he took have any resale/pawn value. They're either too cheap or too obscure to be sold easily. We don't have much...stuff. And he was upstairs looking for cash or jewelery, but don't have any of that lying around to take. He did best with the laptops and tools, but he wasted his time on the rest.

Dr. Hess wrote: The guitars and the mac books went, OK, who knows guitars, is "friended," knows the dog, was not at the party or was at the party but left for a half hour/hour/long enough to get there and back? Just tossing out ideas.

The thing is, since we only moved in less than a year ago, we haven't had any big parties with friends-of-friends or anybody we don't know well in the house. I can't even think of more than three service guys that have been in the house.

Here's the theory I'm working on: dumb luck. The human brain is a pattern-seeking machine, so it's tempting to deduce a story from a set of facts. But I think Occam's Razor must be applied; the simplest explanation is that this was a hit by a reasonably seasoned burglar who knew what to look for, and we screwed up enough to make his job significantly easier. The house looked empty on a day that many houses are reliably empty; the window sash was visibly faulty; the only guitars that he took were the ones that were literally in his way to get in through the window he entered, and if he knew guitars, he'd have taken a couple he left here; the laptops, in a weird twist of fate, were both stacked like white beacons on the coffee table, which is not where we usually leave them; our dog is really a huge Bob Costas; our alarm wasn't set because we were in a hurry; I accidentally left the garage door unlocked after a day going in an out to shovel the sidewalks; etc.

This was sort of a perfect storm - at least we didn't leave the front door open with a flashing neon sign pointing him to the good stuff, but we really may as well have done as much. One of the reasons I'm kicking myself over this whole deal is that I know I dropped the ball in a significant number of scenarios. And I'm not happy about it.

All I want is that one guitar back. Insurance will cover the rest, but that one is irreplaceable.

Keep an eye out, folks.

Thanks again for your thoughts, advice and assistance.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/13/11 7:28 a.m.

Then, perhaps your CL idea is not bad.

Don't make it a post of everything taken like you did here. Make it a post identifying one specific item with a good description, a clear indication of the sentimental value, a recognition of it's actual street value, a method of returning it without recourse, and a financial reward in excess of what it's street value is.

You may get lucky with either a good samaritan on the lookout for you, or a twinge of guilt from a burglar with a bit of remorse.

Best of luck.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/11 7:41 a.m.
SVreX wrote: You may get lucky with either a good samaritan on the lookout for you, or a twinge of guilt from a burglar with a bit of remorse. Best of luck.

then pull out your gun and hold them till the cops get there. criminals don't play fair, neither should you

alex
alex SuperDork
2/13/11 9:48 a.m.

If anybody is interested in cross posting anywhere, here's the CL ad I just put up with a condensed story and a throwaway email I don't mind giving out.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/2212173170.html

Thanks again.

paul
paul Reader
2/13/11 9:55 a.m.

Post this on www.wholenote.com , tons and tons of musicians will be on the lookout...

Good luck!

alex
alex SuperDork
3/4/11 7:25 a.m.

I finally finished up a fleshed-out story of the Stanley, its builder, and their relationship to my grandfather. It's my first and only post at my new blog: presarthumauto.wordpress.com (I had a periodically-updated Blogspot page, but after the trouble it gave me yesterday, I'm switching over to WP.)

If you're interested in a bizarre, dark story, give it a look.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/4/11 7:42 a.m.

Wow, that was fascinating reading. Thanks for writing that up, I really enjoy seeing the history attached to things like your guitar which would otherwise be just an object. I'm still hoping you can track it down.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/4/11 2:01 p.m.
alex wrote: If anybody is interested in cross posting anywhere, here's the CL ad I just put up with a condensed story and a throwaway email I don't mind giving out. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/2212173170.html Thanks again.

Deleted by author (???)

alex
alex SuperDork
3/4/11 6:38 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
alex wrote: If anybody is interested in cross posting anywhere, here's the CL ad I just put up with a condensed story and a throwaway email I don't mind giving out. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/2212173170.html Thanks again.
Deleted by author (???)

I pulled it to repost, and it got flagged down for some reason. I'll repost and put the link back up here.

alex
alex SuperDork
3/4/11 6:48 p.m.
Jay wrote: I really enjoy seeing the history attached to things like your guitar which would otherwise be just an object.

Your turn of phrase here is thought provoking. For the longest time, that guitar really was just an object, only touched to move around when it was in the way. I even had it in my possession for a while before I got interested in the history. I always knew the story that Clyde was an ex-con and built the guitar in prison, but that's as far as it went. When I researched the Michigan prison records and found out why he was in prison, the story cracked wide open. I could literally see the chills that my mom and aunt got when I told them he was a convicted kidnapper and murderer - he had been a guest in their home several times while he worked for my grandfather. I couldn't help but go after the story at that point.

I wound up meeting Cylde's grandson and his family a few years back, after they found my blog posts about the guitar and the record. After that, I spoke on the phone to his daughter Muriel, who I make reference to. As you might imagine, she shed a lot of first-person light on the story.

I've since been contacted by (but haven't managed to engage in any conversation with) two relatives of Al Gliva, one of whom, his nephew, remembers picking him up when he was released from prison, and driving through Detroit in the immediate aftermath of the race riots, while Uncle Al was shopping his songs around various studios.

This thing really is a conduit to dozens of incredible stories.

And I think the reason I feel such a connection to the guitar, aside from inheriting it from my grandfather, is that it was just an object until I discovered its real meaning - not to toot my own horn. A lot of this story would be rumor and recollection (moreso even than now...) if I hadn't started digging.

I don't think it has really sunk in yet that I don't have it any more. I look at the pictures of it (that I took barely more than a year ago), and the pictures of me playing it just last August, and I get this sick feeling in the pit of my gut, knowing that it's in somebody else's hands.

A large part of me feels like it's still out there. Kind of like that crotchety old relative that's too mean too die, I think this guitar has too much evil in its past to just vanish.

And if it's out there, I feel like I'll find it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iFUcKGFxpbxSYjXEHplP30eVH53BjKxLurn5ZykAVypqc4FvA0xhtcruioWJ9ZSw