1 2 3
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/7/20 3:31 p.m.

Don't worry, I still won't buy a Korean car.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C (Forum Supporter) :

It was right above the bench on the wall in front of her truck.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/7/20 4:02 p.m.

We had a 2008 Elantra GLS. After owning that for a couple years and dealing with its many issues, I don't have any desire to own another Korean car, although the newer Genesis sedans do look intriguing.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/7/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I probably saw it but didn't look close enough to notice the signature.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/7/20 4:29 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The engineering is still too cargo-cult, like old Japanese stuff, or current Chinese. Lots of what without the why.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/7/20 4:32 p.m.

Ha!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C (Forum Supporter) :

and Korean cars #5 and 6. 

The K900 is an amazing car AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE MY MIND, BOBERT

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/7/20 8:37 p.m.
I have a Korean daughter and she is awesome.  Most of the time - she's 17 years old.  
dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/7/20 8:43 p.m.

Not many car companies make a boxy mobile with a manual anymore. Kia Soul is one of the only ones I can think of and I've considered one..

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Kias are lame, bob.  We all make fun of you behind your back and to your face about it.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/7/20 10:39 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

The Hyundai Veloster Turbo also has 5 doors (but you have to count the hatch as one door).  

If you count the hatch it has 4 doors.

If they gave it another door I think it would be a much much better car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/7/20 11:15 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It's a requirement that my sales car have four doors.  Somehow I'm convinced I can make the Veloster N work.  The hatch is the 4th door?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 6:21 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Kias are lame, bob.  We all make fun of you behind your back and to your face about it.  

I would expect nothing less from someone in Ohio. There's a reason y'all have so many astronauts. Something about that place makes people want to leave the earth. cheeky

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/20 6:25 a.m.

Come on man, I finally bought a Toyota and LIKE it, now I need a Kia? 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/8/20 7:08 a.m.

When I was new car shopping I wanted to try out something Korean, but it seems like every person I know who's owned a Korean car has had some sort of non-trivial issue with it.  I realize personal anecdotes don't paint the whole picture, but between engine recalls, transmission deaths, niggling electrical issues, and borderline sociopathic dealership experiences, I wasn't ready to roll the dice like that on a 5 figure purchase. 

Plus, the only way to get a stick in a hatch Elantra was with a 200+ HP gas-hog.  The Mazda3 I finally decided on has never yielded a tank less than 30 mpg, even during the current pandemic where it sits for a week and then gets flogged mercilessly on country roads when I need to go out for a spirited drive to clear my head. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 7:58 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

When I was new car shopping I wanted to try out something Korean, but it seems like every person I know who's owned a Korean car has had some sort of non-trivial issue with it.  I realize personal anecdotes don't paint the whole picture, but between engine recalls, transmission deaths, niggling electrical issues, and borderline sociopathic dealership experiences, I wasn't ready to roll the dice like that on a 5 figure purchase. 

Plus, the only way to get a stick in a hatch Elantra was with a 200+ HP gas-hog.  The Mazda3 I finally decided on has never yielded a tank less than 30 mpg, even during the current pandemic where it sits for a week and then gets flogged mercilessly on country roads when I need to go out for a spirited drive to clear my head. 

i'VE not met someone that has had any of those issues. Yin and Yang I guess. For what it's worth, we've put almost 500k miles on Hyundais and Kias ranging in years from 2000-2014 in the last 18 years. The only issue that required a tow home was a $18 crank sensor on the old Accent. That car we sold with 250k and other than previous owner neglect and the wife running a 13" wheel over a 10" curb it was perfect. The Rio was a former rental car sold as a used car. We were 4th owners. Rebuilt the suspension (control arms, front bearings and struts/shocks/springs and ran it for 100k miles trouble free. The 2010 Forte had an intake stepper motor fail at 50k miles. Cost me $100 and 5 minutes to replace it. The current Koup we've put 54k miles on it and its required nothing but oil changes, tires and a set of brakes at 80k miles. The Tib.... well that's a labor of stupidity on my part. Who the hell puts (over)$5k into a 500 car to run One Lap? 

Wifes friend had an 01 Elantra that she had for 15 years. She's absolutely horrible with vehicular maintenance. The only issues she had was a siezed alternator around 160k miles. I know many people with optimas/Sonatas with the 2.0T no issues. One tuned it and had the motor pop. Got it replaced for free. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/8/20 8:11 a.m.

I have read "the gospel according to Bob" and I have even attended his sermons. I consider myself a believer and follower but still to date I have never actually anointed myself in the waters of the K-brands.  

I have testified and spread the word to other non-believers. Some day, I too will walk hand-in-hand with redemption.

Can I get a hallelujah? Amen. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/8/20 8:18 a.m.

I wouldn't buy a new Kia solely cause of the local dealership. Holy crap worse dealership I have ever been in.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/8/20 8:48 a.m.

As mentioned about the dealership experience..............my girlfriend's old 2016 Honda Fit was purchased from a Hyundai dealer in 2017. 

That was the WORST experience I've had in my life. The finance guy would not let it go that we didn't want the warrant (it was a year old car still covered under the factory warranty), alot of condescension from him and me acting very uncouth so we could just get the damn car and get out of there.

BMW was the best dealer experience I've had. When I took the 135i in for the airbag recall (which I did not purchase from them), pulled right in, asked if I would like a coffee, then handed me the keys to an $85k X5 as a loaner for the day. And picked the car back up washed and vacuumed.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 8:50 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

there's plenty of those of all makes. The GMC dealer in Ohio we got the first forte from was horrible as well. The deal was already done, still took 3.5 hours to get out of there because they wanted to add on all sorts of crap. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/8/20 8:55 a.m.

I considered the Hyundai Sonata back in 1989 and came to the conclusion that it was a second-rate imitator of the Toyota Camry and Mazda 626.  Bought a new 626 that year and DD'd it for the next 14 years.

Leaping ahead to 2011 and my wife's search for a new car, we ended up choosing the Sonata Limited with the 2.0 TGDI engine.  While the interior quality wasn't up to first tier standards, the engine and fuel economy were pretty sweet and things were okay for a few months.

At the time of the first oil change, we noticed a transmission fluid leak.  Dealer "fixed." 

At the time of the second oil change, we noticed the same transmission fluid leak.  Dealer could not fix due to excessive porosity in the low-quality aluminum casting that comprised the transmission housing.  Dealer installs a "rebuilt" transmission in our new Hyundai.  Huh.

Wifey is a mile out of the driveway one morning and the trans shifts suddenly at maybe 50 mph to first?  second?  gear for no good reason.  Gives my wife a bit of a scare.  She drives it home and takes my car.  I watch the Sonata go back to the dealer on a rollback. 

Trans acted up a couple more times.  Car went back to dealer on a rollback a couple more times.  Wiring harnesses were replaced.  Computers were reprogrammed.  Confidence dropped.

Wifey is visiting friends with the kids when I get a phone call.  Car is in friends' driveway, and will not start.  Turns out the push-button start doesn't work when Hyundai's cheapo brake light switch fails. 

Absolutely the last straw.  Car is traded the next day for a new Honda Accord V6, which has been awesome and we still own.

I'd have to be as senile as Joe B before I'd consider another Hyundai/Kia.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/20 8:56 a.m.
ShawnG said:

An older gentleman I worked with, who drove a Volkswagen Jetta, told me he would never buy a Japanese car.  Because of the sneak attack...

I believe the irony of his car choice escaped him.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 9:07 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

We had almost same issues with the second gen TSX when they came out. One thing after another. AFter the awesomeness that was the first gen tSX, the second was a steaming pile of poo. Dont even get me started on the second gen MDX. We replaced so many carpets and wiring harnesses in those things I think they started to look more normal gutted than not.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/8/20 9:33 a.m.
jharry3 said:
ShawnG said:

An older gentleman I worked with, who drove a Volkswagen Jetta, told me he would never buy a Japanese car.  Because of the sneak attack...

I believe the irony of his car choice escaped him.

They've always been plotting against the U.S.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gTHxezYCQXk1bUWm5xkut6OQhxD6kJr9CLvcOCCtGbu3uaSoAS4qZ2sQHI73p0F8