1 2 3
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/8/20 10:00 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

there's plenty of those of all makes. The GMC dealer in Ohio we got the first forte from was horrible as well. The deal was already done, still took 3.5 hours to get out of there because they wanted to add on all sorts of crap. 

Yeah for sure. But having a crap local dealership would certainly keep me from buying a new car from a brand. We kind of looked at Kia before we bought our Escape but the dealership turned us off the Kia.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 10:12 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I'm lucky to have 5 local to us. At least 5 within 30-40 minutes. There are crap ones and good ones. I love when people try comparing a Lexus or Mercedes dealer experience to a cheap car (GM, Hyundai, Honda etc). They're just different worlds.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/8/20 2:33 p.m.

TLDR: This cheap car is a lot nicer than my previous cheap cars, so I hope it’s just as reliable 

I spent quite a while researching my latest purchase, and it was narrowed down to 3 cars. I did a lot of research, and because Canadians buy the Korean (and small) cars at roughly double the pace of Americans, there was a lot of anecdotal evidence - I know a lot of people who drive Korean, but also a lot of good reliability info through friends with shops and online. I heard very few bad things and almost everything was positive about the later model Koreans. I'm aware of the recalls, bad engines for a few years, and, some very questionable customer service.

While I was looking I took advantage of new dealer's stock and drove everything I could. In the process I noted that the Kia dealers seemed exceptionally scuzzy, and the one I eventually bought from was no exception.  Nonetheless, I didn't see that as a valid reason not to buy a car.

I've been accused in the past of praising the merits of some of my previous automotive choices, and while all of them have been, at one time or another, referred to as trash on these forums, and in some cases justifiably so, they were not without their merits. But as I've said in the past, it's a value proposition for me. I could have bought anything I wanted, but I wanted an inexpensive, reliable, comfortable commuter. Since I'm only a few months in, reliability is an unknown, but this car has exceeded every other expectation I had.

Time will ultimately tell, but while I might eventually have good things to say about this Forte, like my previous cheap cars, I'm well aware of what it is.

I call it my Korean Cavalier for a reason.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/8/20 2:41 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I'm lucky to have 5 local to us. At least 5 within 30-40 minutes. There are crap ones and good ones. I love when people try comparing a Lexus or Mercedes dealer experience to a cheap car (GM, Hyundai, Honda etc). They're just different worlds.

We did check out the Hyundai Santa Fe but my wife preferred the Escape or CX5. The Mazda dealership wasn't brilliant either and now it is gone.

bobzilla said:

Ok. I love how y'all have been spreading the Korean car love lately but I need you to stop it. Seriously. If I don't have that then what am I here? 

maybe I'm just slipping in my duties... maybe I'm not as hard core as I thought I was. Cmon guys help me here!

read with sarcasm as required. 

You need another car. Buy my 2010 Forte Koup. It's a 5 speed laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 3:32 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

Ok. I love how y'all have been spreading the Korean car love lately but I need you to stop it. Seriously. If I don't have that then what am I here? 

maybe I'm just slipping in my duties... maybe I'm not as hard core as I thought I was. Cmon guys help me here!

read with sarcasm as required. 

You need another car. Buy my 2010 Forte Koup. It's a 5 speed laugh

You want me to get divorced

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/8/20 3:44 p.m.

What you need is a motorcycle- what's your opinion on Hyosung?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X3omgT5xC9H2v4ILu59EDcWY2h3qig2Hg6rMotXfrNi7VJPiSjjzuet7eg3XlzRk