Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/17/19 5:32 p.m.

Two days ago we had a hail storm in the area..  I'm on a business trip.  

My wife calls me today.. "There is some guy here from XYZ construction who was working in the area and noticed we had older shingles and wants to do a roof inspection"....

That's a nope.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/17/19 8:05 p.m.

Welcome to my world.  There's plenty that just go around telling everyone that they have storm damage or worse creating damage. 

You may or may not have damage but whatever you do don't sign anything up front especially without reading it. You could basically be signing away all of your insurance benefits if there is coverage and essentially have no recourse to cancel the contract.

For example fire claim in which the contractor is reportedly attempting to collect a $60k cancellation fee after sending an invoice for $40k+ to "inventory" their contents which basically amounted to photographing them.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/19 8:45 p.m.

I was hoping the show with red timmer was back on TV. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/17/19 9:15 p.m.

I get solocited all the time for this stuff (my roof is 2 years old).

Windows, roofing, lawn care, etc. We have kind of cool looking house on a corner lot, busy intersection, right near an elementary.

I typically just come to the door with my pittie and tell them I'm not interested and to move on to someone else.

I don't to out up a "No soliciting" sign because they look tacky, just like "beware dog" signs on a fence.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/19 9:23 p.m.
Mndsm said:

i came here looking for the good storm chasers or complaints about the hobbyists 

I preffer to call these folks "Disaster chasers".. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/17/19 9:39 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I don't to out up a "No soliciting" sign because they look tacky, just like "beware dog" signs on a fence.

I got one on the door.  didn't work..  

Fueled by Caffeine
7/17/19 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Yeah.. when I need a contractor.. I'll go find one.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/17/19 10:43 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
z31maniac said:

I got one on the door.  didn't work..  

A 60 lb barking pit bull seems to drive most off.when I say I'm not interested. Instead of them continuing to try to sell me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/17/19 10:44 p.m.
spacecadet said:
Mndsm said:

i came here looking for the good storm chasers or complaints about the hobbyists 

I preffer to call these folks "Disaster chasers".. 

It is a very serious problem in OK, No TX and Kansas. 

These people.clog up the roads without.the experience and out everyone at risk.

Hopefully it won't get people killed in the upcoming storm seasons.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/19 5:40 a.m.

Hail No!!

TJL
TJL Reader
7/18/19 5:56 a.m.

My roof was damaged after hurricanes micheal and irma, shingles missing and an ugly patch job. I lost track of how many “companies” left cards on my door. Have a few trees needing work(they are slightly lifeless) and get some solicitations for that. Usually its a out of state company that I wouldnt trust for anything. 

I had my roof done by a company thats been 10 minutes down the road and has been in business for 20+ years. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3MVmTsu9yJ4eTooXFabytNhknZSX3pqEK20y7PMknS6YM4K6puCfq55XfjCvwQSN