carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/6/11 5:14 p.m.

My married daughter's nose has been sore for about a week with some minor blood when she blows it. We just thought it was some cracking due to the extreme low temps and low humidity. She went to the doc in a box because it hurt so much and they said it was cold sores/canker sores in the nose. She had no idea of how to treat it and recommended my daughter go to a real doc on Monday.

Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, what to do?

She's always been prone to cold sores in the mouth, as opposed to those on the lips.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/6/11 5:16 p.m.

Herpes Virus type I. There are some anti-virals that help.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
2/6/11 6:01 p.m.

What tooth paste does she use? I ask because if I use a tartar control tooth paste the inside of my mouth will peel and form blisters that turn into open sores. I also will get a burning sensation in my sinusus. When I use a NON tartar control tooth paste I dont get these symptoms. My mother and sister are the same way. I have found Crest regular paste to work the best for me.

Turns out according to my dentist this is not unheard of.

Her results may vary and this is just to keep it from happening in future, When it has happened to me I will just ride it out.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/6/11 6:10 p.m.

An oral form of contact dermatitis, like poison ivy, only in your mouth and from whatever they put in tartar control tooth paste. Some steroids when it happens. AVOID THAT STUFF.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/6/11 8:40 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: My married daughter's nose has been sore for about a week with some minor blood when she blows it. We just thought it was some cracking due to the extreme low temps and low humidity. She went to the doc in a box because it hurt so much and they said it was cold sores/canker sores in the nose. She had no idea of how to treat it and recommended my daughter go to a real doc on Monday. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, what to do? She's always been prone to cold sores in the mouth, as opposed to those on the lips.

Yup. Get them every few months.

Joey

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
2/6/11 9:11 p.m.

I suffered with canker sores for 30 years, and no doctor, or internet research could tell me why.

I found they will occur on their own, and that drinking really strong coffee for a few days will also make them appear (4-6 at a time) 100% of the time, but mouthwash with alcohol will not only prevent them, but get rid of them in 2 days instead of the 10 days they usually run.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/6/11 9:44 p.m.

I get them once in awhile. Rather unpleasant.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/6/11 9:55 p.m.

I suffered with multiple mouth sores that appeared very often from the time I started kissing girls until about 25-28 when I was able to slow them down. Taking a Lysine supplement definitely limited the severity and duration.

A few years later an accidental discovery has limited me to about a sore about every other year. Lysine helped but when I added Doxycycline for my acne they basically STOPPED.

If I go off either one then the sores begin coming back.

My daughter is a heavy coffee drinker and she'd quit taking her Lysine.

She's put some Abreva on her nose sores with the aid of a Qtip. Anyone ever try that?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/7/11 5:49 a.m.

I used to get a cold sore after every cold. Then I started getting them any time my body was beat down, and yes I've had one on the tip of my nose.

I take L-Lysene daily, that keeps them at bay. My Doc prescribes ValTrex for big flare ups. YMMV.

Dan

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
2/7/11 6:00 a.m.

I have a similar problem, which my ENT just diagnosed as a non cancerous polyp in my nose. Apparently, it's like a pimple, sort of "damming up" stuff in my nose (and causing infections).

I've had problems in the Winter for the last few years (when it's dry and more sensitive). I'm having it removed soon.Doc says it'll help things a lot.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
2/7/11 7:27 a.m.

For years, I've gotten sores inside my nose and at the base of one nostril, They look like a cold sore. But, I never get cold sores on my lips. I noticed they seem to come after a cold when I used a nasal spray. I quit using the spray unless absolutely necessary, but they still come occaisionally.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
2/7/11 7:41 a.m.

I also suffer canker sores constantly. Sometimes I will go a month without one, but as soon as I bite my cheek by accident, one forms at the open wound. In the past, I have had as many as 9 at a time. It makes it difficult to eat, and sometimes speak without pain.

I used something called Miles solution prescribed by my dentist to help them go away. It just tastes awful and didn't do much.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
2/7/11 1:53 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Herpes Virus type I. There are some anti-virals that help.

She's been sticking her nose in other people's "business"?

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/7/11 2:02 p.m.

Herpes Virus I is otherwise known as "cold sores." It is a virus that lives in nerve cells, related to shingles/chicken pox (also a Herpes virus) and Herpes Virus II, which is a STD. It is possible to aquire HV II in places other than Mr.Happy.

At this point, for the OP, I think a proper diagnosis is in order. HV is relatively easy to positively identify with a simple scraping sent to the pathologist. Once you know it is HV, then proper treatment can be started. I don't know what your Doc in the Box was, but you don't seem too confident in the level of care she received, so a proper diagnosis should be high on the priority list.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
2/7/11 2:29 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I also suffer canker sores constantly. Sometimes I will go a month without one, but as soon as I bite my cheek by accident, one forms at the open wound. In the past, I have had as many as 9 at a time. It makes it difficult to eat, and sometimes speak without pain. I used something called Miles solution prescribed by my dentist to help them go away. It just tastes awful and didn't do much.

That's me exactly.

Try tracking your eating/drinking habits to see if anything is causing you problems. For me it was really strong (expresso type) coffees. Get some listerine, and use it twice a day. It burns like hell, but it's worked for me for the last year or so. I've only had one or two since I started using it, and it was when I got lazy and missed a few days.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/7/11 3:08 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I suffered with multiple mouth sores that appeared very often from the time I started kissing girls until about 25-28 when I was able to slow them down. Taking a Lysine supplement definitely limited the severity and duration.

I get them on my lip occasionally, but they've been getting smaller. Probably a bit less frequently, too; I used to get them when stressed out, now they tend to just coincide with being ill or getting sunburned on my face/lips.

I might have to try the L-Lysine thing. Is that something that can be picked up over the counter? Do you have to take that consistently, or do you just take it when you're more likely to get them (e.g. getting sick)?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/7/11 3:48 p.m.

You can get it cheap at Wally World. I take it all the time now.

If I run out for a few days and get an ulcer then I double up for a few days once I buy some more.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/11 4:13 p.m.

i've never had them in my nose, but i found that a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water rinsed a couple times a day usually helped them go away. and a substance called viscous lidocaine made them stop hurting. if she has any abdominal pain too it may be a symptom of chrones disease. my sister had these all the time but once she got on a chrones medicine called 6 MP her sores cleared up.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
2/7/11 4:44 p.m.

I use Listerine whitening mouthwash and follow the directions to the letter (except I only use it once a day) measuring it in a "Nyquil" cup, & run a kitchen timer to get the full 60 seconds. The hydrogen peroxide must be a factor as I have nearly no canker sores or even sore throat issues. I also use a tongue scraper because your tongue is like shag carpeting...

Can't hurt....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/7/11 5:08 p.m.

Kinda OT, but while we are talking about such health things...

Stys... (like inner eyelid pimples, but irritating as hell)

I have been getting them (try 3 so far this year), how do I stop from getting them? same place, same eyelid

I wash my face every day and still get them

jennyjackman
jennyjackman None
9/9/11 2:56 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Getting cold sores inside nose and mouth can be attributed to extreme overgrowth of cold sore virus known as Herpes Simplex type 1 virus.

In this situation, your daughter should consult an experienced medical expert and treat with best cold sore remedies possible.

One possible cold sore treatment that can reduce the severe infection is to try OTC pain relievers such as Zovirax and Aciclovir. Another effective natural cold sore remedies your daughter can try are lemon balm, tea tree oil extract and aloe vera. I know how your daughter must be feeling right now. It is in your best interest to show her to an expert doctor quickly and get the right cold sore treatment soon.

I also recommend reading this helpful article about the best cold sore remedies to try out more effective treatments. http://www.naturalremediesforcoldsores.com/cold-sore-remedies-discover-the-top-5-natural-remedies-for-cold-sores

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
9/9/11 3:14 a.m.

MD Canoe???

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/9/11 8:17 a.m.

Gotta give the Paddler some credit, he/she obviously read the original post and actually dragged it back from what, ten months ago?

Can't wait to see what other dead subjects turn up.

Josh
Josh Dork
9/9/11 8:22 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote: I suffered with canker sores for 30 years, and no doctor, or internet research could tell me why. I found they will occur on their own, and that drinking really strong coffee for a few days will also make them appear (4-6 at a time) 100% of the time, but mouthwash with alcohol will not only prevent them, but get rid of them in 2 days instead of the 10 days they usually run.

Solution: just put the alcohol in the coffee then. I recommend amaretto.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
INNDkXNPxtUcMKgSsLZvUimgGXyWFx24lbFs7fwVRFiLxmFAofQ3FLO60e9ivl8j