1 2 3 4 5
oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/3/16 9:16 p.m.

The Ford Festiva parked at the high school was out of place, but not by a lot, and it's the only obviously bad car I noticed. Wife and I binge watched over the weekend.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/3/16 9:17 p.m.

I haven't gotten a full night of sleep since this thread started. Episode 7 now...

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/4/16 6:02 a.m.

Yeah eff you guys. Wifey went to sleep early last night so I fired up episode one. I'm lucky I got any sleep last night. And all I can think is when I'll get to watch the next one. Hehe

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/4/16 7:05 a.m.

So we just started this - very cool. Loving the 80's themes and soundtrack.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/4/16 7:24 a.m.

Love it. Tim was away yesterday evening because he and Tom took the Rotary Miata to Treasure Coast Miata to finish, and I... accidentally binge-watched half the season.

Good characters, good nostalgia--they take the time to let the cars glide by so you can enjoy them, outfits are fearlessly correct (those high-waisted light-wash jeans on Barb in the opener), music is front and center.--and great creepy-scare factor.

Margie

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/4/16 7:39 a.m.

Finished the series last night.

Thank God I have a flexible start time for work....

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/4/16 7:45 a.m.

I'm secretly hoping they DON'T make a season 2. I'm afraid they'll berkeley it up, the 1st season was so good.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/4/16 8:40 a.m.

I also have a new respect for Winona Ryder; she did great as the mom falling apart when her kid went missing. I could feel her terror building. As a relatively new parent it made the show difficult to watch, in a good way.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/16 9:29 a.m.

Watched the whole thing, it was pretty good.

Marjorie Suddard
8/4/16 9:33 a.m.

Yeah, Winona Ryder is absolutely awesome in this.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/4/16 10:19 a.m.

I kept wondering, how much of that was acting? I mean, didn't Winona have some "issues" recently?

Marjorie Suddard
8/4/16 12:25 p.m.

Hey, whatever she's using in that role, it's working for her.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/4/16 12:40 p.m.

"Recently" is a relative term; do you mean 2001? That's 15 years ago...

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/8/16 11:49 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
t25torx wrote: This is why I hate and love Netflix. They can put out really cool shows like this, but then I binge watch and am through with it way too fast, I kinda wish they would release their content on a weekly bases, because I have no self control. Yeah the bike thing was bothering me also. The only thing I can think, is these kids are too busy spending money on walkie talkies and D&D to afford newer BMX bikes, and they ride their dads old bikes.
They were about two decades too new. Even dude with a banana seat....that was modern geometry.

And 3-pc cranks :)

And the Ford Festiva parked at the high-school had definitely taketh wrong time tunnel.

Still, none of this affect the narrative, which was largely excellent. After a really disappointing trip to see Suicide Squad this weekend, I think I've come to the conclusion that the best stories being told at the moment are being told on TV, or in direct-to-video animation.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
8/8/16 11:59 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said: I think I've come to the conclusion that the best stories being told at the moment are being told on TV

I came to that conclusion a while ago... I have not been loving movies for a while, but we are truly spoiled for choice in good TV (and streaming serial shows). We started watching Stranger Things yesterday, and I have enjoyed what I've seen so far. I watched the first three episodes in one sitting and am definitely looking forward to continued viewing.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/8/16 12:06 p.m.

Just finished episode 7 and 8 last night. Can't wait for the next season!

(habitual binge watching is showing its dark side about now...)

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/8/16 12:25 p.m.

I thought there were seven episodes but turns out there were eight. I almost fired up the 8th last night but just couldn't take another short night of sleep. Good thing too - the little one was up early.

It's hard to watch, being a new parent and all. It was surreal to take a break last night to change her diaper - I had to reassure myself that there were no threats to her before I could put her back in the crib. I guess that means it's a good show. Or that I'm a nutcase, but I already knew that one's true.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/8/16 1:03 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I thought there were seven episodes but turns out there were eight. I almost fired up the 8th last night but just couldn't take another short night of sleep. Good thing too - the little one was up early. It's hard to watch, being a new parent and all. It was surreal to take a break last night to change her diaper - I had to reassure myself that there were no threats to her before I could put her back in the crib. I guess that means it's a good show. Or that I'm a nutcase, but I already knew that one's true.

Dude, it's not just you

It takes me a while to wind down after episodes, and usually I watch something like "Friends" or "Top Gear" afterward to get my mind on to something else. Last night our 11-month old was in bed with us (he's teething something fierce) and I had work at going to sleep...

Scooter
Scooter Dork
8/8/16 1:06 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Plus one more. It was hard to watch certain scenes as a parent.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/8/16 1:43 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
mndsm wrote:
t25torx wrote: This is why I hate and love Netflix. They can put out really cool shows like this, but then I binge watch and am through with it way too fast, I kinda wish they would release their content on a weekly bases, because I have no self control. Yeah the bike thing was bothering me also. The only thing I can think, is these kids are too busy spending money on walkie talkies and D&D to afford newer BMX bikes, and they ride their dads old bikes.
They were about two decades too new. Even dude with a banana seat....that was modern geometry.
And 3-pc cranks :) And the Ford Festiva parked at the high-school had definitely taketh wrong time tunnel. Still, none of this affect the narrative, which was largely excellent. After a really disappointing trip to see Suicide Squad this weekend, I think I've come to the conclusion that the best stories being told at the moment are being told on TV, or in direct-to-video animation.

The aluminum three piece cranks coupled with Banana seats did corncern me...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/8/16 8:46 p.m.

Season two could be set in the 50's, with an entirely different cast and a psychic named "Two", or 2000's with one named "Fourteen" and they would have endless plot hooks. Like Twilight zone meets xfiles in miniseries format.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/8/16 10:08 p.m.

I noticed sweep LED light bars in one cop car in the final episode. (At the school.) If not LED at least much more modern than 1983.

Still, one heck of a show.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/8/16 10:33 p.m.

Just binged the first three. Hooked.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/9/16 7:09 a.m.

Having recently subscribed to Netflix and also Amazon Prime, I also just finished up The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime.

A good amount of 60's car pron in there too. And its a good series.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/9/16 7:54 a.m.

I was so enthralled with the story, I missed the historical hiccups. Usually they stick out to me like a white guy in Compton. Damn good show.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
liW3vGcN10tT6YWmsHFK2YrOillmUXNtCDrWgIc8i4I2zPEW7AphkDBGZlq10amH