1 2
Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/24/12 10:36 a.m.

Ok the T-Rex is cool but $50k? And then if you want it closed in then it is another pile of money for that. So why hasn't some made a kit for these or even a DIY book?

They seem like they would be crazy fun and you could your wife that you are building an eco friendly commutor:-)

Link for those who doin't know what a T-Rex is, http://www.campagnamotors.com/default.aspx

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/24/12 10:40 a.m.

They're that much?? I was thinking $35K

Matt B
Matt B Dork
2/24/12 11:09 a.m.

Relatively low production numbers will make any product's price skyrocket. Also, (from my understanding at least) it's not like most of the vehicle comes from a donor like a Factory Five job (that you have to build yourself as well).

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/24/12 11:17 a.m.

Volkswagen killed off one of those that they were planning to produce for $17k. The GX-3.

It looked better too.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/12 11:55 a.m.

I would rather have a BlackJack Zero

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
2/24/12 1:17 p.m.

I thought this was going to be about Mark Bolan

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
2/24/12 1:38 p.m.
Sultan wrote: Ok the T-Rex is cool but $50k? And then if you want it closed in then it is another pile of money for that. So why hasn't some made a kit for these or even a DIY book? They seem like they would be crazy fun and you could your wife that you are building an eco friendly commutor:-) Link for those who doin't know what a T-Rex is, http://www.campagnamotors.com/default.aspx

I could build one of those for Challenge money with what's in my garage right now.

A Geo Metro and an old Honda Goldwing.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/24/12 7:00 p.m.

Hey sorry. They start at $61k Canadian.

What I am really wondering is this. The Atom and the Lotus 7 have a bunch of people making versions of these cars. The construction of the T rex seems simpler just like the 7. I just wondering why more people haven't seen a business opertunity in making these car/motorcycles things.

alex
alex SuperDork
2/24/12 7:10 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote:
Sultan wrote: Ok the T-Rex is cool but $50k? And then if you want it closed in then it is another pile of money for that. So why hasn't some made a kit for these or even a DIY book? They seem like they would be crazy fun and you could your wife that you are building an eco friendly commutor:-) Link for those who doin't know what a T-Rex is, http://www.campagnamotors.com/default.aspx
I could build one of those for Challenge money with what's in my garage right now. A Geo Metro and an old Honda Goldwing.

That's the basic recipe for this little beastie, the Grinnall Scorpion:

I could take or leave the bodywork, but I definitely dig the idea. I've been dreaming about a K1200 engine/transmission/rear end mated to a Miata front end for some time now.

Have to say, though, I've never considered the...interesting possibility of a high side with one of these...

I think the moral of that story is: if the back end gets loose GET ON THE GAS!

ronholm
ronholm Reader
2/24/12 7:13 p.m.
Sultan wrote: Hey sorry. They start at $61k Canadian. What I am really wondering is this. The Atom and the Lotus 7 have a bunch of people making versions of these cars. The construction of the T rex seems simpler just like the 7. I just wondering why more people haven't seen a business opertunity in making these car/motorcycles things.

it seems like a really bad car.. all the drawbacks of a bike.. with extra weight, and zero logical benefit.. even from an illogical perspective....

the kinda thing which would be fun for about a week...

Ok.. sign me up..

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
2/24/12 7:29 p.m.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
2/24/12 10:58 p.m.

there's a guy that runs one of those with our bmwcca. i finally got a ride in it the end of last season... its.. really different. the front of the thing turns in like a car mostly but the rear trails around behind it almost drift style if he's powering out of a tighter corner. it makes all kinds of big pissed off bike noises and the sequential gearbox is cool. he's finally figuring it out now too and its posting some decent times. cant say i'd buy one though but i'm sure it'd be fun for a pretty long time.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
2/25/12 9:46 a.m.

or

Jay
Jay SuperDork
2/25/12 10:55 a.m.

If I had one of those there would be a global shortage of whatever size tyre the rear wheel takes. I would be not be the least bit apologetic about it.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
2/25/12 2:26 p.m.

I would imagine that Campagna is making some serious profit on every one of those. It seems like a relatively low cost build. A bunch of tubing, a crate motor, some fiberglass, some seats, done deal.

What do you think, $20,000 on each one they sell?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/25/12 5:55 p.m.

I'm guessing we're forgetting the crap load of legal baggage associated with producing a car and what that does to the price when amortized over a small production run.

Believe me, if the Morgan was closer to half the proposed $40k MSRP, I'd be looking for one.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/25/12 7:43 p.m.

I really am talking about a kit. There is not a whole lot to them and the back of it is from a junked bike. It just seems like there a business there if someone, not me, could build a kit. It is kind of a compelling sale. Safer than a bike and great mpg. If the TRex was under $10k wouldn't it be a fun way to get to work?

rotard
rotard HalfDork
2/25/12 8:01 p.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM_X-Bow

Not a three-wheeler, but cool anyway.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/25/12 8:14 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

Morgan by a mile.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/25/12 9:41 p.m.

Morgan, absolutely.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
2/25/12 10:16 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to wearymicrobe: Morgan by a mile.

I have a dream about building one eventually. Nbody has a decent kit for sale in the US though and I have no desire to import. or build from scratch.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/25/12 10:39 p.m.

IIRC, there is a company that sells turnkey Morgan replicas, with Harley engines....somewhere on the left coast. Very pricey though.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
2/26/12 3:19 p.m.

This showed up at a local bike night, last summer.

I didn't get much information about it, other than it's pretty much entirely hand built out of steel tube, motor is 900cc. He's working on another one, with aluminum frame and 1200cc.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/26/12 8:24 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Volkswagen killed off one of those that they were planning to produce for $17k. The GX-3. It looked better too.

Peugeot had a pretty sweet concept about the same time.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
2/26/12 10:29 p.m.

I'll take the moggie for sure!

Moggie donuts!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gy0Bu31WKkZX8VceYoCVSX2BV2RExa1KMpwIPDaPMT2UT6DqEYYN4kTuzZptiQu2