HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/22/12 9:53 a.m.

Well, because everyone knows everything on GRM, why not ask here?

We have a T190 Bobcat that we use around the acreage, and currently we've been moving about one billion (rough estimate) 5 foot high spruces around with a hydraulic spade attachment we have.

The issue we are running into is that sometimes the spade hydraulics operate really slowly (or not at all). If you know how the controls for one of these works, there is a switch that needs to be held to activate the add-on hydraulics. It seems our solution is to deactivate and reactivate this switch, but it's kind of a pain in the ass and reallllly slows things down. Typically after an On-Off-On cycle, the spade rams work fine again. This is not a regular occurrence though, happens at random, and sometimes we have to do the On-Off-On cycle more than once.

I assumed we either had a leak or we were low on fluid. Neither issue. If I had to guess, we either have a solenoid issue (if it's worn out/toast, it may be chattering or simply not always actuating), or the pump is getting worn out. Strange if the pump was worn out that it would work sometimes and not other times...

The problem is the turbocharger does not appear to be working. I did the OH&S approved run behind the T190 with the rear cover open while it was driven at full speed with a large tree being moved up and down in the spade and never once saw the actuator move, and we definitely loaded that diesel up. My father says that he had everything apart and the wastegate moves freely, but it seems like it's stuck open. Thoughts on this?

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
4/22/12 10:06 a.m.

Of course, if the turbocharger is not working then how do you eepct the hydraulics to work right. They are so interconnected.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/12 10:24 a.m.

Your tree spade has a very low hydraulic requirement. The auxiliary hydraulics will give you enough flow to run high volume motors for things like Harley rakes and brush cutters and the spade just has a few cylinders. Therefore the spade problem is not likely to be related to the turbo issue, if you even have one. Try pushing into a pile of something. If it will push right through, or spin the wheels, you probably don't have a power issue. It's more likely a sticky or leaking spool valve. When did you last replace the hydraulic oil?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/22/12 10:42 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Of course, if the turbocharger is not working then how do you eepct the hydraulics to work right. They are so interconnected.

Yes, but my test was very unscientific. I based it on the assumption that diesels essentially spool at idle, and that any form of "load" should cause it to hit full boost and the wastegate to open. I didn't see any movement of the actuator. It seems to do everything fine to me, it's my father that's bitching haha. You can definitely tell that it does not move out like other machines we've driven.

I'd expect the hydraulics to work if the motor was turning It seems to run fine, just a bit doggy when going full power uphill unloaded, spinning in on spot on soft mud can also load it up pretty good.

Hydraulic oil was replaced 6 months ago? In that time, it wasn't really used either. Like I said, sometimes (most times) the spade works great.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/12 10:58 a.m.

They have two or three pumps. Actually it's a section pump, so a problem in the aux circuit can be isolated to looking at that system alone. Throw a pressure gauge on somewhere you can see it while you are operating and monitor it for a while.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/22/12 10:39 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Throw a pressure gauge on somewhere you can see it while you are operating and monitor it for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion :D We'll look into doing that next week when we are back out there...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JWSx15iHtwATM5M3H3woogSSRkqrx3EMVwXP8SJ4LCWtVSDpBjO9ALSdnmJSH7al