1 2
bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
2/17/11 2:05 p.m.

Planning a trip this summer to do tail of the dragon/deals gap. Didnt know if anyone had suggestions on places to stay, other sights or activities worth checking out. We are in Ohio so itll be a couple nights and we would like to make the most of it, so if anyone has come in from the north and had other roads worth hitting up or museums please chime in.

As well, any good web sites dedicated to deals gap that would have info on things like this?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/17/11 2:11 p.m.

think there are some camping spots close to it, dont remember if there are any hotels.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/17/11 2:11 p.m.

Here ya go, start here!

http://www.dealsgap.com/

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/17/11 2:55 p.m.

Don't cross the center line.

http://killboy.com/advice.html

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
2/17/11 3:27 p.m.

You guys rule, itll be me in a 06 MazdaSPEED6 you can view in my profile and my buddy in his G35 with intake, IM spacers, HFC, and coilovers... both of us have pretty good tires... both of us have been to mid ohio school, both of us have driven Rt 26 in OH more than once, and both of us respect driving at 7/10th on public roads and are able to check our egos at the door.... so it should be fun!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
2/17/11 3:42 p.m.

I have a friend who got nailed for 5 over on the Dragon,so watch the speed. A bunch from SE Michigan goes down for the Miatas on the Dragon each year and they stay in motels in Townsend,FWIW.

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
2/17/11 4:27 p.m.

We go every year with a group of XT6's and SVX's. We've been staying at Fontana Village http://www.fontanavillage.com/ for the past 6 years.

It is a very nice facility, quiet but with two nice pools and other activities for family members that don't want to ride the 11 mile roller coaster more than twice. There is a small general store that sells beer, a few snack bars and a fine dining restaurant. If you're going with a group of people, look into getting a cabin.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
2/17/11 5:25 p.m.

I'll second The Fontana Resort. Never heard anything but good about them. Matter of fact we're spending 7 days with them this summer

byron12
byron12 Reader
2/17/11 6:32 p.m.

Don't miss cherohala skyway its in the area and a way better road than the 129; there are actually a ton of truly great driving roads in the area so make sure you get a map and explore....

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/17/11 7:15 p.m.

I still don't know why we can't get a WRC tarmac rally in that part of the country.

Imagine Loeb running The Tail of the Dragon?

EPIC!

ncjay
ncjay Reader
2/17/11 7:18 p.m.

The few people I've talked to that have been there mention a high police presence. The place is popular and the cops know it.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
2/17/11 8:40 p.m.

mid-week / mid - morning... nothing will save you if you're acting like an shiny happy person but the mid / mid will help keep you out of trouble

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
2/17/11 9:22 p.m.

The Dragon is 30 minutes away from me. The places to stay are several motels in Robbinsville NC, the cabins at Fontana Village, NC or the motels nearby in Maryville or Lenoir City Tn. There are about 10 rooms at the Inn at the Gap Store but unless it is a big car weekend, those rooms are reserved for bikes. There is now a large police presence, mainly on the Tennessee side both along the lake as you approach the mountain and on the mountain itself. Watch the approaching traffic and you will receive warnings(the guy slapping his helmet is trying to warn you, not trying to scratch his ear). The mid/mid warning is a good one. You really dont want to be on the Mountain on the weekend. As an example, there will be a BCSD unmarked cruiser at the base of the mountain with radar enforcing the 35mph limit; you can coast off the mountain at a higher speed. Dont ask how I know.
Dont forget to wave at the photographers and buy the pics that are online at killboy.com. Yes, there are people who make a very good living taking the pictures of the visitors who drive by. No matter what you do, please stay in your own lane and dont make a problem for the other drivers/riders on the road and just hope that you dont have to follow a HD cruiser across the mountain because those guys wont give up the road for anyone. Otherwise, enjoy!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/18/11 12:03 a.m.
ncjay wrote: The few people I've talked to that have been there mention a high police presence. The place is popular and the cops know it.

Yeah, seems like the idiots started flocking there and wrecking in droves about 5 years ago. If this were a skate spot, it would be considered "blown up" now. I've never been and now I most likely won't bother.

failboat
failboat Reader
2/18/11 6:47 a.m.

There are a lot of great roads in the Smoky Mounty National Park. Speed limits are low though, and there are park rangers (ask me how I know). A lot of slow drivers too. Just accept that its going to take you a while to get anywhere in the park and just enjoy the scenery.

The view from clingmans dome is spectacular, worth the drive and 1 mile hike to the observation tower. We went early in the morning and it was windy and chilly up there.

We camped for 3 days in the park, swmbo really had a good time and wants to go back to TN.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/11 7:40 a.m.

It's fun up there, but yes, respect the road and the other drivers. Lots of good stuff on the website as far as other areas to explore.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/18/11 7:58 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I still don't know why we can't get a WRC tarmac rally in that part of the country. Imagine Loeb running The Tail of the Dragon? EPIC!

I imagine he would get as frustrated as anyone having to poke along behind every wannabe race car driver and budding MotoGP rider who can't seem to make a turn at any kind of pace above parking lot speeds.

Seriously, get some big-assed Hellas and go at 3AM if you want to actually drive it. Otherwise, its like a lesson in patience.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/18/11 8:26 a.m.

My car has been there, but I never have. I think I missed any real opportunity 5 years ago.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
2/18/11 9:50 a.m.

I just don't get the fun of driving a crooked road at 35mph.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/18/11 10:01 a.m.
iceracer wrote: I just don't get the fun of driving a crooked road at 35mph.

pretty sure we hit 40 in some spots!

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
2/18/11 12:29 p.m.

It's a spectacular area for a holiday, but there are LOT's of good roads in the area, and some (I dare say) are indeed better than the Dragon. Cabin rentals can be pretty affordable: we stayed at a beautiful cabin 20 minutes from the dragon (and 5 minutes from the National Park) for our honeymoon 2.5yrs ago...and are looking forward to going back.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/18/11 12:32 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I just don't get the fun of driving a crooked road at 35mph.

It can be quite fun if you try to never dip below 35mph. There aren't a whole lot of spots in that section of road that let you hit ludicrous speeds anyways.

FWIW, the Cherohala isn't patrolled near as much, and higher speeds can be had there. That said, in my opinion, the Cherohala is a much more dangerous road.

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
2/18/11 12:58 p.m.

That was my next question, when will there be lightest traffic, do we need to try and make this a mid week affair, or could we do a sun-tues trip driving tail on monday?

Is it really so twisty i wont hit 50 or 60?!?!? thats insaine!!!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/18/11 1:05 p.m.

I'm going for the Miatas at the Gap event at the end of July. I haven't been before, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Anybody else going to be there for this one? http://www.gapmiatas.com/

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
2/18/11 2:05 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I'm going for the Miatas at the Gap event at the end of July. I haven't been before, but I'm really looking forward to it. Anybody else going to be there for this one? http://www.gapmiatas.com/

I might attend.

I had a great day driving my Miata from Ricmond VA to Morgantown WV on back roads on a monday. Some of the passes were good enough that when I got to the top I turned around and did it again.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9l4MxYTm3niRs3df0QuTaOL3zjtA4Yi24Mxug8MXsOyBr1cpFZblkY736Iyi6V5J