1 2 3
bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/11/13 5:39 a.m.

Pope gives two weeks notice, tells Boss 'I've had enough' and becomes first to quit in 600 years.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/11/13 6:45 a.m.

Pardon my ignorance since I'm not catholic, but who is the Pope's boss?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 6:52 a.m.

He doesn't have one. It was a funny.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/11/13 7:05 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: He doesn't have one. It was a funny.

Yes he does, just not 'on-site'. St. Peter usually does the exit interview.

I'll stop.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
2/11/13 7:06 a.m.

I think the Cardinals should learn from this and select a younger Pope. I can't help but feel the select these older guys who are both worn out, and from a previous generation...maybe a generation that is less likely to rock the boat. A younger guy may have more energy, but he may be a handful as well.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 7:19 a.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 7:29 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

They choose old guys so they die quicker.

In reply to Woody:

You owe me a keyboard.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
2/11/13 7:48 a.m.

You say 600 years like its a long time. Not for the Catholic Church. They're all saying "What? Again!? We just did this!!"

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/13 7:54 a.m.

I give the man a lot of credit, it must not have been an easy thing to do.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
2/11/13 7:56 a.m.
PHeller wrote: I think the Cardinals should learn from this and select a younger Pope. I can't help but feel the select these older guys who are both worn out, and from a previous generation...maybe a generation that is less likely to rock the boat. A younger guy may have more energy, but he may be a handful as well.

They did last time.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 7:57 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I'm going to Rome march 10-25th. Now I'm going to be caught up in the mess of people that care about this. Great.

You might as well drop off a resume while you're there.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 8:15 a.m.

Burn

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/13 8:16 a.m.

Chris Hansen for Pope!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 8:19 a.m.

The cardinals should wear, "Vote For Pedro" shirts.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
2/11/13 8:32 a.m.
Woody wrote:

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/11/13 8:48 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to Woody: I've never touched little kids. I don't qualify.

I think if you have "Served during the 3rd Reich" on your resume you can get a pass on the pedo thing.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/11/13 9:33 a.m.

So I'm guessing the pope really did quit and this isn't part of a joke thread? I haven't seen this on the news.

What are grounds to quit your job as the Pope?

I'm wondering what this says for the catholic church?

rainydave
rainydave Reader
2/11/13 9:43 a.m.

“After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,” the pope told cardinals gathered for an ordinary public consistory to approve the canonization of new saints.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/11/13 9:46 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Essentially, not enough energy for the job. Physical or mental, but my guess is it's a cover. Probably more financially based, knowing there have been financial issues. It's always good to give the media a nice white lie. Just ask Don Henley.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 10:05 a.m.

He read a science textbook.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/11/13 10:12 a.m.

It's all a ploy. The Catholic Church, realizing that people are moving more and more away from Catholicism, are looking to elect a New Pope. This will have the masses flocking back to them to try this "New Pope" and have people theoretically move away from the competition. When everyone hates him, they'll bring back the outgoing pope, only they'll call him Pope Classic and everyone will love him. It's marketing genius!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/11/13 11:17 a.m.
mndsm wrote: It's all a ploy. The Catholic Church, realizing that people are moving more and more away from Catholicism, are looking to elect a New Pope. This will have the masses flocking back to them to try this "New Pope" and have people theoretically move away from the competition. When everyone hates him, they'll bring back the outgoing pope, only they'll call him Pope Classic and everyone will love him. It's marketing genius!

Nah, been done before.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/13 11:25 a.m.

We've got a lot to live up to if the last pope to quit did so in the face of the Renaissance... There is some sort of chicken and egg question here with regard to popes and enlightenment, though.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/11/13 12:19 p.m.

I still think that if the Catholic Church wants to survive, it needs to just give up on Europe and focus upon the parts of the world that are still mostly Catholic. If the next Pope isn't Latino or African, they're doing themselves a disservice. Of course, IMO holding more modern attitudes about relationships and sexuality would be even more useful, but refusing to select another ancient European white guy would be a move in the right direction.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
2/11/13 12:24 p.m.
rainydave wrote: “After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry,” the pope told cardinals gathered for an ordinary public consistory to approve the canonization of new saints.

Really not buying this. No offense intended to anyone, but the last few years of his ministry, Pope John Paul looked about 98% dead, but he still kept on trucking. (Used to remind me of "He's only mostly dead" or Weekend at Burneys) Something else is at work here, just not sure what yet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yPj1Tdu7kzMP651wTe1U5CHAC8pUmfhZMHzxq34j7vCoWkYV2lv01iKB3uRDD3Yk