1 2 3
lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
11/5/15 10:35 a.m.

To me, Bro or Dude depends on the tone of voice (if it's spoken, as opposed to typed).
If it's in a gruff, 'barky' tone of voice with a less than friendly facial expression, I can definitely take it negatively.
If I can't tell if their manner is friendly, or if they are antagonizing, then I may also likely take it negatively.
If it's typed out, I admittedly have a tendency to take it negatively, for some reason.
It could just be that in many personal experiences, hearing 'dude' or 'bro' has been in a negative light, so my instinctive reaction is to prepare for some type of insult, disapproval or other abusive dialog.
But i realize that not everyone reacts the same way, so that's just me. Maybe I just know too many cranky people, and have spent too much time on the wrong forums. haha.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
11/5/15 11:08 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: "Dude" or even worse "Bro" are pretty much the "Off Button" to my input circuits. I figure there is nothing intelligent coming down the pipe after, so no need to listen any further.

Seriously? I can not understand this reaction to that word.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
11/5/15 11:20 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NbLhHtaVIO4

Can't believe this isn't in here yet.

I know it is a terrible song. It just fits the conversation

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/5/15 11:39 a.m.
spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
11/5/15 11:53 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: In my town, using the word dude will result in either getting your butt kicked for negative connotations, get you labelled as a hippie communist freak, or both. So round here, its sir, ma'am, or "hey man".
Sounds like another reason to stay North of the Mason Dixon line to me dude.

Works for me dude.

Not coming to any more Walter Mittys dude?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/15 12:57 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Being former enlisted military and forced to call the largest collective group of e36 m3 heads I've ever known "sir" burned me off that pretty quickly. The standard comeback was usually something like "don't call me sir, I work for a living." But I pretty much let that one go these days. I will still get all up and over random people who decide on their own to call me "Steve" instead of "Steven" when I have never introduced myself that way.

I only give folks that I know were in the military that line...as far as the other, I never go by my given name and don't even realize people are talking to me if they use it outside of a doctor's office.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/5/15 1:00 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote:
NOHOME wrote: "Dude" or even worse "Bro" are pretty much the "Off Button" to my input circuits. I figure there is nothing intelligent coming down the pipe after, so no need to listen any further.

Agreed. Cutting of discourse due to a tiny bit of slang strikes me as the height of closed minded elitism. Which is itself a lack of intellect.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/5/15 1:11 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
this.......

Oh, well. If we ever meet in person, I'll know not to expect much response from you during our conversation.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
11/5/15 1:26 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Hey dude... "Buddy" is the one that gets me more than any of the others.

your link is the one that i immediately wanted to post but you beat me to it, but since you brought up "buddy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/15 1:27 p.m.

You know what is worse than dude?

Getting called friend by somebody you don't know. It creeps me out. Which is kind of odd, because I use "buddy" in the same context.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/5/15 2:57 p.m.
PHeller wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: I use it as a exclamation, I think I don't respect anyone little enough to actually call them "dude" or "hoss" or "boss" or "guy" or "bro" or "brah" or "man" or "Gaylord" or whatever. I call people by their name or if I don't know that I just say "hey shiny happy person".
But what happens if you're excited for someone? Do you say: Hey Bob, how we doin' Bob? All right. It's been a while Bob, life's so rad! This band's my favorite Bob, don't ya love 'em? Yeah. Aw Bob, you want a beer? All right. Aw Bob, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff. This is great, Bob. Yeah. Hey, did you know about the party after the show? Yeah. Aw Bob, it's gonna be the best, I'm so stoked! Take it easy Bob'.

Oh no, it goes. Etc...etc...

Pull this thread as you walk away....

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/5/15 3:37 p.m.

I'm old.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/15 3:56 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: There might be a few people in this world, that should spend a little less time being offended by little things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Looking at it the other say: if it's a little thing that really doesn't matter, then it should be easy enough to avoid calling people 'dude'.

Dude, the chances of that happening are zero. I'm a equal opportunity offender.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
11/5/15 4:07 p.m.

I answer to "Dude", "Dawg", "Bro", "Homie", "Sue" ....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/15 5:57 p.m.

I don't mind Dude but detest being addressed a Buddy.

Don't really know why just rubs me the wrong way.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/15 6:01 p.m.

I am with NOHONE on this. Makes the person sound not intelligent. When I was in my 20s back in the 1980s we all called each other dude. Never use the term now unless I am joking with one of my high school buds being sarcastic.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/15 12:39 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I don't mind Dude but detest being addressed a Buddy. Don't really know why just rubs me the wrong way.

Because buddy is a NY thing and everything from NY must be bad?

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
11/7/15 11:33 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
dean1484 wrote: I don't mind Dude but detest being addressed a Buddy. Don't really know why just rubs me the wrong way.
Because buddy is a NY thing and everything from NY must be bad?

is it an NYC thing? i moved to upstate NY a couple years ago and nobody has called me buddy. Dude i get a lot because i'm in my 20's and spend most of my time at a university, but never buddy.

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
11/8/15 12:58 p.m.

There's only a couple of people I call dude or bro, and even then it's rare. It's never crossed my mind to call a total stranger dude or bro. "Excuse me"...seems to be safe.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
11/8/15 10:13 p.m.

People are offended way too easily nowadays. I mentioned some facts on another forum that were not politically correct and some people had a meltdown

Jay
Jay UltraDork
11/8/15 10:26 p.m.

Becoming a crusty old bastard is not an end-goal that you should strive toward. It's more the result of not enjoying life enough before you were one. Dudes.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/9/15 9:21 a.m.

Despite this thread, I call everybody except my wife "sir". I call my wife dude all the time. I refer to a group of people as "folks". People hate being called "sir" and "folks" by some young buck because it makes them feel old.

You can't please everybody.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
11/9/15 1:39 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YYA1ya7vLXHR9SXtEEG5NMRy6AV8Z4TAaO7Q2sF1yUFcfPUkYv17ubKmtnD4yhH