1 2
JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/16/17 4:31 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

WOW that thing is clean as berkeley! Will float it her way lol.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/16/17 4:41 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: I found the car

and here I expected to find this one

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/17 4:44 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead:

The Mitsu van was actually the tempting one, but the soarer makes sense to get as all of the parts are available through standard parts distribution networks, just get an sc300 Vin and a supra Vin to use depending on the part needed.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/17/17 3:49 p.m.

Big no to the van, surprising I figured she would have liked it lol.

This is currently in the lead.

Bobo the link.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/17 4:08 p.m.

In reply to JtspellS:

I thought about suggesting T5 motivated S/V40/50s but haven't driven an automatic one so I wasn't sure if the auto zapped the fizz from them.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/18/17 10:30 a.m.

The only discussion my SO and I had, was a Mustang a good choice for her as a DD. On her own, she decided , NO.

So she bought a Civic. I asked her why she picked it.

"Because it fits me". Nuff said.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/18/17 10:54 a.m.

I’ve only got two things to add.

1. +one on let her buy her own car. Does she get involved in your car decisions? Don’t' sent the precedent.
  2. Stay away, a long way away from an original Bronco as anything other than a car show/ice cream car. I've got two friends who used to own them. Note the past tense. Both are car enthusiasts. The first has had three S550 GT500's and now has a new GT350, plus owned a couple of 70's Shelby’s in the past and his wife still owns an early 60's Chubby pick-em-up. He had two genuine Bill Stroppe edition cars. The other is an Ex racer who's hubby also had a 427c.i. SN95 and had a lifted one with a 347 in it. In both cases they sold them within 5 years as they as just so god awful to drive even in perfect condition. Short wheelbase, high CogG, dreadful steering geometry. They look awesome and are great for driving the three miles to and from the dream cruise or going for ice cream. More than that and they are loathsome, once the novelty wore off they both sold them. Don't forget, these are car enthusiasts who own other, by most standards, difficult to drive cars and they were only toys. Run far away as a DD. If you really want something in that ilk get a Bronco II.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/18/17 12:48 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Auto makes them better. It's a damn Volvo, not a sports car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/18/17 1:30 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to JtspellS: I thought about suggesting T5 motivated S/V40/50s but haven't driven an automatic one so I wasn't sure if the auto zapped the fizz from them.

I'm a C30 T5 owner with a manual and also a frequent defender of automatics here on GRM. Having said that don't touch a C30/S40/V50 with the T5 and an auto, it really doesn't suit it the engine at all. It's all laggy and loves to be in the wrong gear at the right time and has an aversion to quick down shifts. Run, run away. This from a guy who owns an automatic Boxster, so apparently my standards are low.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/18/17 3:31 p.m.

I just want to note I am not going to force her in anyway to buy anything, it has been and will always be her decision (bet your ass she would spite me if I were to force something her way) as it was with the TDI, she just needs me for financing reasons and that's it.

In saying that she asks me why or why not on big purchases and I've been helping in anyway that I can.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/17 4:02 p.m.

I'd like to go on the record as a Chevrolet Cruze RF2 (LT rental fleet)1.4T 6A owner. This car is a MK4.5 Volkswagen Jetta wearing a bow tie.

I've got 117000 on OE pads and rotors with two trips in for warranty work, a new set of Toyos and a butt ton of semi synthetic oil services.

Oh and twenty autocrosses that made me giggle each run.

I'm still confounded as to why these aren't on more sub $10k lists.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/1/17 7:05 p.m.

The VW is off to the slaughterhouse....

photo IMG_1276.jpg" />

The replacement? even kinda surprised me TBH

Super glad she decided to drive one, and even better she found this one that will not cost her anything due in part to VW and EPA, thank everyone for all the suggestions!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/1/17 9:54 p.m.

nice! congrats?

is this one of the late-enough cars that you don't have to worry about rust around the rear wheels?

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
2/2/17 8:58 a.m.
sleepyhead wrote: nice! congrats? is this one of the late-enough cars that you don't have to worry about rust around the rear wheels?

Looks like a first gen to me, so rust prone.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/2/17 9:22 a.m.
1kris06 wrote:
sleepyhead wrote: nice! congrats? is this one of the late-enough cars that you don't have to worry about rust around the rear wheels?

I think they fixed or mostly abated that issue for the 2007 model years. Gen one cars go until 2009.

Is that the GT version? My parents had one in 2006 man that was a lot of fun to drive around. Despite owning a second gen car I really like the first gen body style better.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/2/17 10:43 a.m.
The0retical wrote:
1kris06 wrote:
I think they fixed or mostly abated that issue for the 2007 model years. Gen one cars go until 2009. Is that the GT version? My parents had one in 2006 man that was a lot of fun to drive around. Despite owning a second gen car I really like the first gen body style better.

I forget the packages but it's listed as an S but has all the GT bits with the bose/leather/HID and so on.

These like ANY Mazda prior to 2010 are rust prone, but this has been a Central NC/VA car it's whole life so it's not silly high on my mind at the moment, also she works at a body shop so she has many connections if something were to start.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
swGf3pQqJIBwCTJivxQnQyJ4LfawkkgDtbPnIlsd9HmJEe9JGLFsqwx9CMY03dFf