Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/1/18 12:19 p.m.

Wants:

- removable cross bar (at least the rear one) for loading taller cargo
- possibly easy removal of the whole thing so I can use one of those truck tents for camping
- adjustable tie down points maybe?
- I think I'm leaning away from the kind that extends over the cab.  First, I don't need it, and second, I may someday make up a vinyl snap-on soft cover to go over it instead of doing the truck tent thing.  Kinda make my own soft cap/shell

Normally I would just do a cap/camper shell (whatever you call it where you live) with a rack, but this is a small truck with a 6' bed and I don't want to be crawling around in a cave trying to haul bigger things.  I figure I can just keep a tarp around for cargo on rainy days.

I could probably fab one up, but with the cost of steel it would likely cost more than buying one already made.  Any good tips on good racks to buy?

Something like this comes to mind:

Image result for truck lumber rack

imgon
imgon Reader
9/1/18 4:05 p.m.

I see them around here all the time and some are on slides so rear rack can just slide up right behind front rack. I had an over the cab one on a PU we had at work and as much as the rear crossbar was removable it was a pain. Both to remove and when you didn't  need to remove it but wanted to climb in the bed, it was at a poor height. This is probably one of those cases where spending good money gets you a better product. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/1/18 5:30 p.m.
akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
9/1/18 5:59 p.m.

Thule and Yakima both make truck racks with the bonus that they use Thule and Yakima accessories happily. Prices seem to be competitive to any of the other makes you may or may not have heard of. 

Curtis
9/1/18 6:43 p.m.

Those are both a bit out of my price range... at least what I had anticipated spending.  There are, of course, cheap steel tubular universal ones for $89, but they don't tip many of my checkboxes.

I found this one:  AA-Racks for $299 that looks well-built and has some good reviews.  I would likely want to shorten the top rails if its possible.  I can just see parallel parking and catching one of those cross bars on a phone pole or street sign.  But if you look at the picture below, I was thinking I could possibly replace those bolts with a threaded knob and lock washer for quick removal of the rear bar.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
9/1/18 7:52 p.m.

It looks like the top rails are just an aluminum extrusion with end caps. It would be no trouble at all to shorten those. 

Curtis
9/1/18 7:58 p.m.
akamcfly said:

It looks like the top rails are just an aluminum extrusion with end caps. It would be no trouble at all to shorten those. 

That's what I thought.  One concern... Rangers/B-trucks don't have flat bed rails.  They slope down a little toward the outside.  I think I could tweak them down to get the cross bar to install properly, but I wonder if every time I take the cross rail off if it will spring back making re-assembly a pain each time.

I guess there is one way to find out.  Order it and try.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
9/1/18 9:59 p.m.

I have one like the first picture, and you can narrow it up easily.  I think there is probably enough slop it the mechanism for the bed sides.  Send me a message and we'll work something out to get it to you. 

Curtis
9/1/18 10:11 p.m.

Sent a message.  Thank you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DWKFAxVgRWfpl7ngrCSTIyzCSH951NK9B7YR5RNlFYlCX4ximUkFRAwkw9s9LX59