gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/28/18 7:37 a.m.

Just a thumbnail sketch, i have no desire to become an expert. The wife said she thought we should get the kids one for christmas. We did a quick check online and the first thing i see is there is a 1s for not a bad price, and a 1x for a bunch more. I have no idea what the difference is. I dont want to spend more than i have to, but i also dont want to buy something they stopped making games for 6 months ago. What should i get?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/18 7:44 a.m.

The games work fine across all versions of the One. They're trying to make an all inclusive console atmosphere and succeeding very well there.

If you have a 4k tv or plan to get one, bite the bullet and get a One X. I think they're still on sale for $400. I wasn't expecting the difference to be anywhere near as drastic as it is coming from a regular One.

The One S is more casual. Still a competent system, but more for occasionally playing games or watching stuff not in 4k. Actually, I think it can do 4k video but not UHD blue rays, and it definitely cannot game in native 4k. Might be a good cheap way to get the kids a console depending on their age and interests. It was like a mid model year changeup. Slightly smaller and faster than an original One, but more a way to prop up sales until they got the full native 4k X out into the world.

Regardless, budget some extra money for an external hard drive down the road, you'll need it eventually for storage space. I may be an exception as I'm all digital, but I have a combined total of 4TB of hard drive space, and with 142 games installed I have about 25% free space. 

That sounds like a lot of games, but Xbox live gives 4 games a month, plus I have game pass which is essentially a rental service. Pay a monthly fee, have access to over 200 games to play whenever you want. 

Xbox live is subscription needed to game online. It's $60/year, but gives 4 free games a month as well as the online gaming functionality. I have a post up in simulation central on how to get it for free though. 

Link about Microsoft rewards

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/28/18 7:46 a.m.

The onex is the hot rod. 4k output, super hddvd ready, faster load times, etc. If you want REALLY pretty, the x is REALLY pretty. I am going to assume you dont have a 4k tv, in which case, get an s. An s is effectively the original xbox one, shrunk. Still a great performer, tons of games, etc. All xbox one games are compatible across both consoles, though some have 4k optimized available, like horizon 4. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/18 7:50 a.m.

So my XBOX 360 is basically the 8-track of the gaming world?  Heck, I still have a Wii and a Cube, and Atari PacMan! 

This thread is relevant to my interests though, the boy is becoming aware of video games and a console upgrade may be in the future.  I need to make sure I can run racing games on it! 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/18 7:50 a.m.

I have a One S, and can confirm that it streams and plays blu-rays in 4K. It does not, however, support 4K gaming, and of course it's not as fast, will work harder when playing demanding games, and all that. For my use, which is 80% streaming and 20% Forza, it's fine, and the S is half the price of the X right now.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/18 8:13 a.m.
Mndsm said:

The onex is the hot rod. 4k output, super hddvd ready, faster load times, etc. If you want REALLY pretty, the x is REALLY pretty. I am going to assume you dont have a 4k tv, in which case, get an s. An s is effectively the original xbox one, shrunk. Still a great performer, tons of games, etc. All xbox one games are compatible across both consoles, though some have 4k optimized available, like horizon 4. 

Did your new tv come in yet? How much of a difference is there really on your 1080P? I know they were pushing the "it's prettier even without 4k" but I haven't seen them side by side. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/28/18 9:09 a.m.

The Xbox One comes in three main flavors:

-The original Xbox One:

This is the big, black one that was available when they originally launched a few years back. They made 500GB and 1TB versions. They don't sell them new anymore, but used/refurbished ones are available at places like Gamestop. I'd probably avoid this one. Nothing really wrong with them (this is the one I have) but the other current choices are better.  

-Xbox One S:

This is the "cheap" model that's in stores now (right around $200 to start), but by no means is it bad! It's slightly smaller than the original, and comes in 500GB and 1TB flavors. This one is slightly more powerful, and can stream 4K and play 4K Blu-Ray discs. It also has a HDR mode. The games still output 1080P, though. 

-Xbox One X:

This is the BMW M5 of Xbox consoles, and currently the most powerful home console available. It's also the most expensive, at $400+. This one plays games in 4K with HDR, and even enhances some older games. 

All of the Xbox One consoles play the same games. They fall into 3 categories: 

-Xbox Originals:

These are the ones that were on the original "OG" Xbox that came out in 2001. Some, but not all, are backwards compatible and playable on the Xbox One. 

-Xbox 360:

These were originally released on the older Xbox 360. Again, some, but not all, are backwards compatible and playable on the Xbox One. Most of the popular titles are playable, and they add new ones every month.  

-Xbox One: These are the current ones available. The boxes are slightly smaller, like a Blu-Ray disc. 

If you aren't used to modern gaming, the Xbox One does throw a slight learning curve. One thing is that you can't just pop in a disc and just play. The games need to partially install themselves on the system's hard drive, and discs basically act as a "key" to play the game when inserted. Basically everything available on physical discs is available online to download as well. I found out real early that you are going to want to pick up an additional external hard drive to store games on, especially if you get a 500GB model. Luckily, most USB hard drives work, so getting one should be easy. 

Overall, it's a great console. It's a lot more reliable than the 360, and there are thousands of games for it and lots of backwards compatibility. Works fantastic as a streaming device, too! 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/28/18 10:19 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I have a One S, and can confirm that it streams and plays blu-rays in 4K. It does not, however, support 4K gaming, and of course it's not as fast, will work harder when playing demanding games, and all that. For my use, which is 80% streaming and 20% Forza, it's fine, and the S is half the price of the X right now.

Wow, that's really odd. Because if I remember correctly, it's the opposite for the PS4 Pro, it will do 4k gaming but won't play the 4k Blu-Rays.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/28/18 10:27 a.m.
RevRico said:
Mndsm said:

Did your new tv come in yet? How much of a difference is there really on your 1080P? I know they were pushing the "it's prettier even without 4k" but I haven't seen them side by side. 

Not til next week sometime. Itll be fun to side by side it. Can confirm terraria is a lot more defined. Almost offensively so. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/28/18 1:46 p.m.

Thanks guys, this has been very helpful.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/18 3:05 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Tom_Spangler said:

Wow, that's really odd. Because if I remember correctly, it's the opposite for the PS4 Pro, it will do 4k gaming but won't play the 4k Blu-Rays.

Yep, says so right on the website for the One S: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-s?&OCID=AID644966_SEM_FOcMqAi5

Planet Earth II on 4K blu-ray on my new Vizio PQ-65 is just jaw-dropping.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fbTUiXROoVz9VA78QWlgOYez04mbSjIoE5TVvEuEy8bcXMwyZr4ni2eolKDOe94l