1 2
deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
7/31/18 7:40 a.m.

I live in Leander, north of Austin bordering on the Hill Country, and I adore it. Housing is still cheap up this way, and it's a short drive to Austin from here. The Leander Independent School District is amazing (one of the best in the state), and it's close to Dell (in Round Rock) and most other tech jobs in the area. There's always something going on, and a lot of celebrities have made Austin their home (the actors from Supernatural both live and run businesses here). Honestly, I couldn't make my home anywhere else.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/18 8:22 a.m.

j_tso, it's the same in OKC for the weather pretty much.

NickD, it's not my No. 1 place I'd like to move, but I didn't want to move to OKC from Tulsa either, but you do what you need to do to advance your career. And Austin would be a great next move to do that.

deannathegeek, good to know. I think we are going to take a trip down there in the Spring and look around.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, you'd hate the southwest lol 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
7/31/18 9:09 a.m.

I think we've had three days, counting today, under 100 this July. Not sure what it's been like down in Austin but I can't imagine it's much different. That's hard for a northern boy to accept. But after four years I'm starting to become acclimated.

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/31/18 9:33 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yup. I loved Tennessee when I lived there. But Texas and the southwest are just not for me.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
7/31/18 10:03 a.m.

Traffic is maddening during peak hours.  Whenever I fly in to visit my dad out in the hill country, I have to pick flights based on how easy it is to drive the I-35 corridor.

My sister used to live ten miles outside of Austin 18 years ago.  Now she lives about a mile.  She still lives in the same house.  They only way I’d live IN Austin is if I made enough money to own a helicopter.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/18 10:27 a.m.
NickD said:

In reply to yupididit :

Yup. I loved Tennessee when I lived there. But Texas and the southwest are just not for me.

I grew up in Virginia and I love the southwest, not Texas so much but NM, AZ, CA I really enjoy. Even while frying in the dry heat. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J2STH0BZ5o5CET1QpWN7i2NaCkVeo8tzI8nqhCTUhglgacjxcKZRe5PPZN5PBvjg