1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/18 7:37 a.m.

^I'm not really interested in ditching my car for something cheaper, older that inevitably I'll have to work on myself. 

Even with her still working in an office, the only time there isn't at least 1 car in the garage, is Tues-Wed-Thurs when I go into the office. 

And typically on the weekends, I take her car and go run the errands while she is home cleaning, or we go together. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/31/18 8:39 a.m.

Disconnect the battery, take it out, and put it in your house for 2 weeks. See how you do. If it doesn't bother you at all--meaning you never found a reason to go put the battery back in--get rid of the Bimmer. If it does bother you, then you've kind of answered your question. If you find you really need a car, but don't want to work on it, and want it to be cheaper, then go out and drop $2000 on whatever 15 year old Corolla you want to until your financial picture is where you want it. One word of caution though: I thought I could be happy for a while in a "boring" commuter car. I was wrong--it wasn't right for me, to the point that even my wife notices that I'm happier about my current car situation than I have been in a while since I got the car I wanted.

BTW, what about a nice, sorted E30 318? Skip the DD type car and just get what is now a classic--especially for how much you've waxed poetic about your prior one. Doesn't escape the "older that inevitably I'll have to work on myself" clause, but it wouldn't be losing value at this point like the F20. 

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Dork
7/31/18 8:42 a.m.

Alot.

Did it for over a year.

Finally got the MINI but new driver daughter has it all the time.

I'm so desperate I'm looking at mopeds...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/18 9:09 a.m.
mtn said:

Disconnect the battery, take it out, and put it in your house for 2 weeks. See how you do. If it doesn't bother you at all--meaning you never found a reason to go put the battery back in--get rid of the Bimmer. If it does bother you, then you've kind of answered your question. If you find you really need a car, but don't want to work on it, and want it to be cheaper, then go out and drop $2000 on whatever 15 year old Corolla you want to until your financial picture is where you want it. One word of caution though: I thought I could be happy for a while in a "boring" commuter car. I was wrong--it wasn't right for me, to the point that even my wife notices that I'm happier about my current car situation than I have been in a while since I got the car I wanted.

BTW, what about a nice, sorted E30 318? Skip the DD type car and just get what is now a classic--especially for how much you've waxed poetic about your prior one. Doesn't escape the "older that inevitably I'll have to work on myself" clause, but it wouldn't be losing value at this point like the F20. 

Unfortunately for me, clean E30s have risen in price to the point that I doubt I'll never own another one. And one cheap enough I'd be comfortable to spend on would be a basket case that needs lots of $$$ in parts and man hours to get to a condition I'd want.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/31/18 9:20 a.m.

For Z31's purposes, the only cheap beater I could picture him getting on board with is a Leaf, because it is near zero maintenance.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/18 11:46 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

For Z31's purposes, the only cheap beater I could picture him getting on board with is a Leaf, because it is near zero maintenance.

That's not a bad idea just because they have become so cheap. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xp1EPrF0eO9nFcag5w1Dn1OefI6Je6fDgPiASpbXPPehcb9aKbWxGNyyDhI1JrMn