5/27/16 7:10 a.m.
RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/27/16 7:37 a.m.

Hot damn! That thing can hustle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/27/16 7:41 a.m.

Why is nobody making a locomotive style electric truck yet (diesel generator, electric motors)? Just imagine if that thing had the range to actually tow to a race!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/27/16 8:08 a.m.

i think carli needs an 11 second SUV when the v8 snaab gets retired.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/27/16 8:33 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

That is what trains are for.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/27/16 9:27 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: That is what trains are for.

it would be interesting to build a diesel electric truck.... or car/suv for that matter.......

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/16 10:05 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Why is nobody making a locomotive style electric truck yet (diesel generator, electric motors)? Just imagine if that thing had the range to actually tow to a race!

It's in the works:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/11/nikola-motor-company-tesla-of-trucking/

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/16 10:06 a.m.

It's mostly a weight factor I would imagine. Just to give you a perspective, a locomotive is around 200-215 ton for a GE dash 9 or ac 4400 series unit. They are lighter for the euro models and CSX does weight their units down a little more for better traction but in general that is a good figure.

Now with a Diesel Electric pickup, You would need either 1 or 2 traction motors and basically the complete drive train from an existing diesel truck with the transmission being replaced by an industrial sized alternator. So with all that, I would see another 300-500 LB easily being added to the truck when you add the traction motors. Add in all of the controllers and cabling, that is typically about another 100ish LBs.

Here is a great picture of a body on frame hot rod that was built with a 400 HP, 775 LB Ft Torque Electric motor. This would be a very similar setup you would have to use in your diesel electric truck only with the motors mounted much further back in the frame to make room for the engine and alternator. That motor is 230LB just for comparison sake.

I don't think the performance benefits would make sense given the cost and complexity of the solution.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/16 10:15 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Why is nobody making a locomotive style electric truck yet (diesel generator, electric motors)? Just imagine if that thing had the range to actually tow to a race!

Kinda close:

http://www.viamotors.com/

GameboyRMH
5/27/16 10:23 a.m.

The series-hybrid truck I linked above is using a turboshaft engine so the weight will be reduced.

I'm assuming that hot rod is running two of those motors on a common shaft? Is 230lb the weight of one unit?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/16 10:41 a.m.

ok that drag race was pretty impressive

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
5/27/16 10:45 a.m.

I have a hard time believing that was a real race. The lead swaps dramatically between the two and somehow the 4c crosses the line at the exact same time as the 4c on the trailer. No way that was set up for drama's sake.

GameboyRMH
5/27/16 10:48 a.m.

The dramatic lead-swapping could be due to the fact that the Alfa has to shift gears and has a torque curve while the Tesla X is direct-drive and has a torque level.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/27/16 11:13 a.m.

I'm guessing that I'm one of the few here's who driven the Tesla in ludicrous mode. I spent an hour or so in one sheparding about 8 drivers through it including myself. The car is simply the fastest thing I've ever been in including Viper ACR, supercharged Mustangs putting out over 700hp and Aussies 996 TT with 550hp. Literally you can't pull you head off the head rest on full accel. It's just nuts. Most impressive was after at least 50 full tilt runs by which point I was feeling a bit quesey there was still over 150 miles range left.

It is undoubtedly a game changer.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/31/16 7:46 p.m.

That's really impressive.

Did he just say the Bentley looks like a botched boob job??

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/1/16 10:59 a.m.

The Answer might still be the answer:

Tesla S P85 gets spanked by an EV Miata

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kXYMTyhxaUJwFGYikHvtIC0CUOgbH7nSJsaMWuSQoc35lNprAelIx7uyZ8IyRzxY