1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/11 9:02 p.m.

Pick up a wounded cops gun and and keep shoting at criminals? You may face charges for unlicensed use.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/04/18/2011-04-18_2nd_hero_joined_cop_in_bklyn_gun_battle.html

A school safety agent grabbed the gun from a wounded cop and exchanged fire with thieves trying to rob a Brooklyn auto parts store Saturday, law enforcement sources said.

The 50-year-old school safety agent was visiting ARJ Auto Repair in Bedford-Stuyvesant on Saturday night with a group that included hero cop Anthony Presley, 39, sources said.

Five robbers ordered the group onto the ground and began rifling through their pockets. Presley, an MTA Bridges and Tunnels officer who was off duty, pulled his pistol, stood up, identified himself as a cop and told the robbers to stand down, police said.

Presley was shot in the shoulder during the close-quarters gunfight that ensued, police said.

The unidentified school safety agent grabbed the Glock that Presley dropped when he was shot, sources said, and chased the five bandits, firing back after at least one robber shot at him.

Investigators believe Presley fired his weapon seven times before the school safety agent squeezed off nine shots, a source said. The robbers fired a total of six times.

The agent, who is not licensed to carry a gun, could face charges, sources said.

Two of the robbers were wounded in the gun battle.

Kenneth Baxter, 21, and Reashawn Jackson, 18, both of Brooklyn, remained hospitalized Sunday, but were hit with several charges, including attempted murder and robbery, police said.

Police were still hunting Sunday night for the other robbers, who peeled away from the Albany Ave. shop in a Ford Winstar minivan.

Presley, who has served with the bridge and tunnel authority for 10 years and is assigned to the Battery Tunnel, had surgery at Kings County Hospital on Saturday night. He was in stable condition yesterday.

"He took a stand because that's the kind of person he is - a hero," said a childhood friend, Wayne Williams.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
4/18/11 9:09 p.m.

makes you proud to be an american

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/11 9:12 p.m.

Wow. That's messed up.

Another good reason to stay out of NY.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/18/11 9:13 p.m.

Let us make it clear we want to be able to do the right thing, damned Bob Costas politicians

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/18/11 9:36 p.m.

It seriously irritates me that getting shot it all it takes for a cop to be considered a hero.

Does getting in a wreck at the track make you a hero driver? No, avoiding that "unavoidable" crash makes you a hero.

The cop was doing his job, this dude is a hero for picking up when the cop FAILED.

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I'm not saying the cop is a failure, just that he failed in this particular situation. We all screw up sometimes and that's okay. But he's not the hero here.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
4/18/11 9:42 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Wow. That's messed up. Another good reason to stay out of NY.

+2 swoop only

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
4/18/11 9:46 p.m.

That's why if you shoot someone, make sure there's only one side of the story to tell.. Understand?

This is the instruction they give you verbatim in the concealed handgun classes here in Texas. If you're pulling the gun, you better be prepared to use it to end a life.

New York is just like every other extremely liberal state in this "great" country. I say "great" because it's crap like this that makes our "freedom" a joke. Notice the liberal use of quotation marks. New York, California, Illinois, etc. have some of the most strict gun laws, and of course rampant crime. Now, I'm not associating the two. Well, I kinda am, but I don't want to get into the whole 2nd Amendment rights argument on here. I'm just saying that criminals are always going to have guns. They're CRIMINALS! They don't care about the law. It's the honest, law abiding citizens who, if demanded and legally obliged to be unarmed, are always going to be the helpless victims.

If I was in the same position, I would have done the exact same thing. Except I most likely would have killed the poor injured criminals who were just robbing the place because of their unfortunate situation due to the economy...

bull E36 M3...

Every time something like this happens, another law or rule is instituted to chip away slowly and surely at our freedoms. Ugh!

Sorry for the rant guys...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/18/11 9:52 p.m.

"it's a fair cop but society is to blame"

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/18/11 11:57 p.m.
Wally wrote: Reashawn
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/11 2:42 a.m.

They have decided not to charge the "unlicensed gun user", who as a school safety officer is an employee of the NYPD, though in an unarmed position.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/19/11 4:57 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Wow. That's messed up. Another good reason to stay out of NY.

NY has some of the craziest and toughest gun laws in the US. My friend was to inherit some handguns from his grandfather and was required to get a permit just to possess the guns(which is also a CCW). Yes, any gun owner in NY also gets a CCW. Good thing about that is that all gun owners go through practical hands on safety and functionality training. Bad thing is that it required more than a year before his permit came in the mail and his family knows the judge who was signing it and therefore sped up the process. Ugh.

Now. About NY. Do not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Every American should go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Park at least once. Even in 2011 there are towns up in the hills there without a road to them and no electricity. Most of the park is so remote that it has never been logged is has huge tracts of old growth forest. NY and NYC are two separate beasts.

Will
Will HalfDork
4/19/11 6:05 a.m.
huge-O-chavez wrote:

Yes, any gun owner in NY also gets a CCW.

That doesn't sound correct to me. Are you sure about that?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/19/11 6:22 a.m.

Funny how the cop is a hero and they wanted to charge the other guy, who was the real hero. That's what's berkeleyed up about this country.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/19/11 6:56 a.m.
huge-O-chavez wrote: Now. About NY. Do not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Every American should go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Park at least once. Even in 2011 there are towns up in the hills there without a road to them and no electricity. Most of the park is so remote that it has never been logged is has huge tracts of old growth forest. NY and NYC are two separate beasts.

THREADJACK ALERT.

I went there camping a few years ago with the kids. We were driving along somewhere near 30/28/28N when one of the kids needed a guardrail break. When we stopped - there was a view of a lake from the edge of the road and the whole place smelled like pine. We could see a house on an island way out in the middle - with a pontoon plane parked at the dock. So, we are sitting there discussing the awesome implications of flying to your house on the lake and a beat-to-E36 M3 CRV pulls up, parks in the bushes. An older... maybe late 50s woman in granola clothes hops out with a brown paper bag, waves... ruffles around in the bushes some and pops out on the water in a canoe. We sat there and watched for the half-hour it took her to paddle to that house. Too much unspeakable awesome hides in the Adirondacks for me to even get my head around if that is what you can see from the road.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
4/19/11 8:09 a.m.

When I am out of state and I tell someone I am from NY, I always add, "upstate, not NYC".

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/11 8:16 a.m.

I wish I were rich so I could pay that guy's legal defense fees. If someone is shooting at me or my family and you pick up a downed officer's gun to protect them, I don't want you having second thoughts about it.

Oh and I <3 NY

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
4/19/11 8:52 a.m.

Lets not get too excited.

Sources say he may face charges? Sounds like some arbitrary person told the reporter that technically based on laws on the books, someone could get charged for such a situation.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/19/11 8:54 a.m.
Police were still hunting Sunday night for the other robbers, who peeled away from the Albany Ave. shop in a Ford Winstar minivan.

This is proof the whole story's a fake!

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
4/19/11 8:54 a.m.

Well. Isn't that special. A citizen trying to stay alive is an "unlicensed gun user". Wonderful. What is it about the 2nd amendment that's so hard to understand?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/19/11 9:00 a.m.

^ This. It's really sad when the VICTIM is the one charged with a crime defending themselves any more.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/19/11 9:28 a.m.
Jay_W wrote: What is it about the 2nd amendment that's so hard to understand?

I'm not sure if they trip over the word "infringed" the most, or the word "people".

The 2nd amendment hasn't been respected from the time it was drafted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution The above is a remarkably good piece on the 2nd amendment.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
4/19/11 9:57 a.m.
Will wrote:
huge-O-chavez wrote: Yes, any gun owner in NY also gets a CCW.
That doesn't sound correct to me. Are you sure about that?

It's true (for handguns), but cities have precedence.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/11 10:08 a.m.

From TFA:

The agent, who is not licensed to carry a gun, could face charges, sources said.

As Otto Maddox pointed out, that hardly constitutes "they want to charge him". As Wally pointed out, he is not being charged.

For those who were getting ready to form a militia over this, please take a deep breath. If you're going to get wound up, do so over the reporter who baited you into it by reporting a partial truth and no context.

Conquest351, don't apologize for the rant, but if you're going to assert that gun laws are too restrictive, opening with the statement that firearm education tells the student to make sure there's nobody left alive to give opposing testimony does not make a compelling case.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/19/11 10:09 a.m.
ransom wrote: For those who were getting ready to form a militia over this, please take a deep breath.

Head on over to the "HOLY COW" thread with the militia

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/19/11 10:18 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
ransom wrote: For those who were getting ready to form a militia over this, please take a deep breath.
Head on over to the "HOLY COW" thread with the militia

ha! Thanks for the thread bump!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gOTJm876Mle0fjchvsdrbiaJAYS8Tgl0RiueZcBJkoQZQOpW6sqmNUVxOheyqMy8