mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/27/18 9:37 a.m.

As the title states...

Looking for a new home computer. I have the following needs: 

• USB C, so that I can use it with the dock that I have for my work laptop
  • Run 3 monitors (does not need the ports for it, just the ability through the dock)
  • Run Excel, including things that are pushing Excel to its limits, and possibly some Python
  • Stream video--but I really don't care that much about the quality of the image, just that it doesn't lag

Budget? Lets just say as cheap as possible to get the above in a reliable manner. I don't care about brand. Don't even care about operating system to be honest, although it needs to be wife friendly. I'm not ruling out Linux, but I haven't used it since 2008, and back then whatever I was using would have been a solid "NO" as it would not have been easy for my wife to pick up. I assume that there are better options than whatever the hell it was I was using back then.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/18 9:50 a.m.

If you want to do crazy Excel stuff and Python then a Chromebook isn't a safe choice, they've only recently gained the ability to run generic Linux apps and MS Office is only available for certain models (and I'm not sure if it has all the bells and whistles of the Windows version). A netbook is just a small low-powered laptop and they've largely been replaced by convertible laptops/x86 tablets, which aren't a bad choice if you'd like a touchscreen or a very small device.

If you're going to be working with stuff pushing Excel to its limits, AKA Office-Powered Clusterberkeleys, you're going to want to stick with MS Office which unfortunately tilts the choice away from Linux. It's very difficult to save money by running Linux instead of Windows on a prebuilt new computer anyway.

Basically you just need some kind of generic x86-based portable computer with USB-C. Windows would be a surefire choice and Linux could most likely do the job with some work.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/27/18 2:16 p.m.

I bought this recently.

Acer Switch Alpha 12 2 in 1 Laptop/Tablet

Works great. Has plenty of power for what you want to do. Has a USB-C connection along with a few others. The USB-C allows it to use a doc which would support multiple monitors. The dock would also allow you to use a full size keyboard and mouse. When you go mobile you can use the folio keyboard and touchpad or detach those devices and use it like a tablet. Win10 Pro comes installed. If you want a lower priced variant you can shop the i5 cpu instead of the i7. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/18 6:36 p.m.

Triple monitor is going to require a very decent system as many of the low end models won't support multiple monitors as easily without a full docking station.  Combined with the excel work, you're going to want a lot of RAM.

Basically, look at what works for you at work and replicate that in your laptop as far as specs go and look at the various vendors offering systems at those specs and buy one.

Chromebook and Netbooks won't meet your criteria, so unless you change the criteria, you'll want a full laptop.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/28/18 7:54 a.m.

^Ding ding ding

We need to get my girlfriend a new laptop since she works from home now, lots of graphic design and marketing stuff. I told her Illustrator and Photoshop and such are going to run much more cleanly on system with nice processor and plenty of RAM.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/28/18 11:01 a.m.

Chromebooks and netbooks are berkeleying pointless.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/18 11:08 a.m.

Completely off what to buy, but if you buy at Costco, they add a year to the warranty.  If you use their credit card to purchase, they double that.  My new laptop has a four year warranty, has better specs, and was less than anywhere else.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/18 12:45 p.m.

A netbook or x86 tablet can run triple monitors just fine through a dock, which he says he's planning to use.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/29/18 8:31 a.m.

I just picked up a Republic of Gamers Asus.  I think it was $1100, but good GOD what a machine.  16gb memory with 6gb of dedicated video in the card.  SSD, 8th gen hexacore that will overclock to 4.2ghz, all the best goodies.  I use it for a home studio including music recording and video editing.  I never game.

Not sure about the USB-c, but ASUS does a whole line of workstations as well.  Only reason I got the gaming machine was for the better video card and I don't plan on using it with a dock.  That, and I happened to walk into Best Buy as they were putting it back on the shelf as an open box discount.  The guy bought it, took it home, and his wife said "take it back" so he did.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yBU0El3vGPpbjNDHrEIomH6oJJxDb3F9tUjC0m9QA50nzOlyHTCHyoHxbeiOrUBo