Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
9/4/14 7:06 a.m.

A coworker of my girlfriend has a Miata(not sure what gen) but is looking for advice on another sports car. I'm looking to the hive for some ideas.

Here are their demands:

1. manual transmission for sure
  2. not terribly concerned about the appearance of the car
  3. we would put a major premium on having sharp, go kart-like handling like the miata
  4. 2 or 4 door, and we are open to roadsters, but probably not as small as the miata. My wife is just not comfortable driving such a small car in ATL.
  5. Not adverse to a project, but I don't want anything that could be frustrating. For example, I wouldn't mind replacing a worn engine or trans with stock replacements, but I don't want to get into swapping non-stock engines or anything like that.
  6. I would probably prefer to buy something older and under 5K in value so as to not have to worry about insurance other than the legal minimum.
  7. Not really concerned about FWD vs RWD, as long as it is fun to drive!

My first thought was an E36 or maybe a 2nd gen RX7. I know there are plenty of cars I'm missing.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/4/14 7:11 a.m.

MR2
Gen 1 for most cart-like.
Gen 2 for most refined and car-like.
Gen 3 for most convertible cart-like.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
9/4/14 7:46 a.m.

Didn't even think about an MR2. Good call.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/4/14 8:14 a.m.

You might get a 4 cyl Z3 for that money but you would be happier expanding the budget to include the 6 cyl models & the S2000.

The MR2 already mentioned is interesting... but buy an S2000.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/4/14 8:37 a.m.

Focus SVT

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
9/4/14 8:52 a.m.

Are MINI's that cheap yet?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/14 9:59 a.m.
mtn wrote: Are MINI's that cheap yet?

Maybe to purchase....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/4/14 10:37 a.m.

I like the FD Rx7 idea. What about a NA Porsche 944? Or for cheap with mod room a ZX2, maybe even find a S/R version?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/4/14 10:39 a.m.

It's funny...we look at this question from thirty seven different angles, trying to find an alternative to the Miata that has the same feel for a sub $5k budget. Trust me, I'm doing the same thing. But at the end of the day, the fact is that for the money there really isn't a true alternative to the NA Miata that's going to give the same driving experience... which includes being a convertible.

So to me, the answer is either pick a one of a multitude of other cars and compromise somewhere, or get another Miata.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/4/14 10:44 a.m.

Well, I can tell you as a previous MR2 owner (Gens 2 and 3) and spent a lot of time in a Gen 1, that it is probably the best choice for all those expect the one concerning size. My Gen 3 felt smaller than a miata. The Gen 2 seemed a bit bigger and wasn't as much fun.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
9/4/14 10:55 a.m.

BMW 3 series.

If the concern over driving another Miata is that it's too small then an MR2 or RX7 won't be an improvement.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/14 11:08 a.m.

Put a proper Hard Dog bar in the Miata and keep driving. Everything that feels even remotely similar will be around the same size and leave you vulnerable to attack via SUV.

An Mr2 could be a good alternative, but they are older and won't have the same safety features.

Spec944's and SpecMiatas are pretty evenly matched on the track around here, so that might work. After 87 or 88 they received airbags and tend to hold up well in crashes. The sunroof panel is removable and they are pretty comfy and the hatchback is pretty convenient. Buy a good one and the maintenance won't be too bad either for a DIY person. Plus V8 swaps are possible for the DIY'er if you get tired of the 2.5L (which isn't the car's strong suit unless turbocharged, IMO). A later 944 or 968 cabriolet would be nice for a cruiser, but they are heavier and more expensive to buy and own.

A BMW 3-series 'vert might be a good alternative as well, not as nice handling as The Answer due to the added chassis flex, but also a DIY-able rig.

How about a second-gen RX7 vert? The Miata's older brother?

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
9/4/14 11:16 a.m.

3rd gen Honda Prelude.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
9/4/14 3:15 p.m.

$5k buys a lotta CRX.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
9/4/14 3:44 p.m.

So, you want all the good things that come with a small car, except in a larger sized car? I don't think I understand the question. Having a hard time really comprehending not wanting to drive a smaller car in traffic.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
9/5/14 6:24 a.m.

If a Miata feels small a 3rd gen MR2 isn't going to be the answer.

FC RX7's can be made to feel pretty sharp, but the longer wheelbase makes them inherently a little more stable - less kart-ish.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/14 6:31 a.m.

The only real answer I can think is the E36 BMW. It's the only one that can get to that price point and is bigger. The problem is it's probably got back maintenance that needs to be caught up on.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
9/5/14 4:01 p.m.

I believe his wife just feels uncomfortable driving it traffic for safety/crash reasons. Maybe because it's a convertible and tiny? I'm not too sure.

I linked him to the thread and I think he is going to check out MR2s. Hell, I kinda want his Miata. My girlfriend is kinda wanting a Miata for a second car/toy also.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/6/14 7:33 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Didn't even think about an MR2. Good call.

Always think MR2. Hell, a friend has a low-cost MK1 SC that is tempting me to buy another one, if I can decide I like the two-tone grey.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/6/14 9:00 a.m.

I had a MR2 SC. It is an ultra fun commuter. All the power comes on low in the rpms which makes it just squirt in and out of traffic. Saddly, driven in that fashion, the mpgs are not that good at 22-24 and then the 10 gal tank which starts to read empty at 8 gallons does not give you much of a hyw range.
But, who cares? It is so fun to drive. It was much more refined than the '90 Miata that I had at the same time. The MR2 also has much more usable storage space when you add up the frunk and the trunk.

Jerry, if you are going to pass on a MR2SC, how about sharing?
I would love to own another.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/6/14 8:09 p.m.

I have both a Miata and a MINI S.

I wouldn't call the Miata "go-kart handling" after driving the MINI.

The Miata is well balanced, intuitive, responsive, and very predictable.

But the MINI is far superior as a go-kart. It looses points when maintenance, repair costs, and fussy gremlins are considered.

That doesn't mean it is superior as an autocrosser, or racer. Miata is more well-rounded. But the Miata doesn't come close to the go-kart feel of a MINI.

I prefer the MINI.

There are a lot of MINIs now available under $5K, but most are projects.

I am about to sell mine well under that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eiheVcj72NcRe8SLBu5eOZZ06C7C1zMtWMM4NpgblL8m9ahp56aHmpytsdysGI6i