1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/18 11:36 a.m.

I'm pretty much booked with crap through December at this point for the weekends. Plus we're saving for Hong Kong next summer and the truck is still taking funds to get ready. I know... excuses excuses. 

I have been wanting to go over to Dayton and see the Air Force Museum. UGH.... I just don't feel like being here. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/27/18 11:48 a.m.

I had never been depressed even with all the issues in my childhood etc until this past year when I spent 6 months dealing with gout and a broken foot. In all honesty the mental issues were worse then the physical pain so i really feel for people who deal with it all the time now. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/18 11:58 a.m.

winter blows, says the guy starting his 26th winter in Detroit.

i focus on Dec 22nd, which is the first day that the daytime is getting *longer*.   berkeley you, nighttime!   even though the days are still getting colder for another 2 months, dammit they're getting longer and that helps my attitude greatly.

hang in there, Bobzilla.   we got your back.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/18 12:18 p.m.

Another thread where I think Bob and I were separated at birth. I have no advice but sometimes coming here and getting it out of my mind before I say something out loud helps. There are days I don’t know how people with real problems get out of bed.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/18 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Bingo. I feel so stupid worrying about the things I do, having the emotions/feelings etc knowing how others are sooooo much worse off and seem to cope. 

Just to tell you how awesome the poeple I directly work with are, one of them came back from lunch with flowers for me. I almost cried. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
11/27/18 12:55 p.m.

I hear you guys, I've been prescribed meds and had to go for counseling for traumatic incidents that happened at work.  I've lost several people this year, and each time picking myself up seems to take a second longer.

Today was a hard day, but thankfully I was off work.  Everything seemed so overwhelming, so I just did what I absolutely had to and said to hell with the rest.  I enjoyed a slice of pie with coffee while sprawled out on the couch with the pups, and just tried to enjoy the moment.

Other people are waging the same battles, you just can't see it.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/27/18 12:57 p.m.

Another sufferer of Seasonal Affective Disorder here.  Pretty much from the time roll back till Christmas I'm miserable.  Cold and dark, combined with financial stress of presents (ALL the birthdays are over the next two months as well) just make me want to hibernate. 

Getting out and taking trips (get to the AF museum, it's awesome!) helps.  Actually making something helps.  Exercise helps.  Bright light helps.

But with all that I'm not sure I'd dare go somewhere warm just now, I'd be too tempted to stay and never come home.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/27/18 1:09 p.m.

"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased."

You've done the first, now make yourself go find some joy, even if its just somebody else's good fortune, or a room full of puppies.  Next sunny day, go to a restaurant with south facing windows for lunch, order whatever you like and let the sun overheat your back.  Its lyin' to yourself, but it's a harmless lie.laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/18 1:53 p.m.

Hmm..... looking at the ads gave me an idea. I should go get the “pick up only” stuff and deliver it to the people “too far away”. 

This is something I may have to seriously consider. Nothing puts me more “in the zone” than hours behind the wheel. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/27/18 2:56 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Hmm..... looking at the ads gave me an idea. I should go get the “pick up only” stuff and deliver it to the people “too far away”. 

This is something I may have to seriously consider. Nothing puts me more “in the zone” than hours behind the wheel. 

Want to bring that $40 spitfire from DC to Chicago?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/18 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Anything requiring the trailer will also require tires for said trailer. I got a couple bald ones. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/18 4:36 p.m.

got a local Humane Society?   if yes, go pet some dogs.   everybody's a winner!

TJL
TJL New Reader
11/27/18 4:58 p.m.

I dont recall having an issue with depression much until my son was born. Lots of worrying about him, worrying about his future in this often extremely berk’d up world, will i be a good dad, am i being a good dad. Then just a unexplainable black cloud following me around. Didnt even want to go to the garage to work on stuff. Ive since spent a lot of time trying to work myself through and ive gotten pretty good about it. Identifying it, seeing it coming and reacting accordingly. 

Then the last time change hit right as days were getting shorter and i felt like CRAP. One thing recently that helped with the seasonal issues and darkness(even in florida) was putting STUPID BRIGHT LED bulbs in. I get home, its dark at 5:30, flip on my indoor sunshine and feel better pretty quick. I thought it was way too bright at first but its perfect. Buying and converting more soon. 

But to anyone dealing with it, its kinda normal. It happens. Lots of us. You arent alone and there isnt something berk’d up with you. Ive found some of the sanest folks are the one who think they are crazy but have acknowledged their issue and some of the craziest people are the ones who claim to be perfectly sane with no issues. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/27/18 7:25 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Let me know if you need a driving partner.   I love to Epic Road Trip all across the US.   Also, what size tires does your trailer need?

And to combine another idea mentioned above, if you like puppies, or dogs, consider driving dogs across th state for one of the rescue groups.   I have helped out one of the Greyhound rescues years ago, and my wife was active with a Collie rescue.  We've thought of transporting a few dogs when our schedules line up again.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/27/18 7:57 p.m.

If there was a one size fits all answer we'd just Google it and fix things. Doesn't work like that. Sucks.  Keep busy. Stay engaged as much as possible. I've never been able to do much other than grit my way through it and come out the other side. 

Wally
11/27/18 8:22 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Wally :

Just to tell you how awesome the poeple I directly work with are, one of them came back from lunch with flowers for me. I almost cried. 

That's really nice, I try and keep flowers around the house all year.  It probably sounds odd but I enjoy having something colorful when I come home.  Today i returned the wife to her mother's for the week for therapy and i'm trying to enjoy the holiday season which isn't going well.  I wandered around the mall, took local streets home to look for Christmas lights, and picked up ravioli for dinner from a good restaurant.  I'm sitting in front of the tree eating dinner and listening to Bing Crosby Christmas shows.  Its nice but now I'm wishing I had been able to put up the trains.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/18 8:40 p.m.

I am not far from the AF Museum, would be happy to meet and hang out  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/18 9:11 p.m.

And yeah. Spending the evening in the er with the wife. Looks like a potential diverticulitis attack. Joy. 

Wally
11/27/18 9:14 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Good luck, that seems to be a common theme here too.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/18 9:43 p.m.

Have I mentioned how awesome you peeps are? So the doc was in it’s inflammations due to diverticulitis. Prescribing the antibiotics and anti inflammatory stuff. She’s going to hate life for a few days but it’s better than a perforation. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/18 1:04 a.m.

So, the big D is not Detroit, not Dallas, but rather Diverticulitis? 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/18 5:58 a.m.

hang in there Bob

re: driving hours helps getting in the zone
that was a realization I had a while ago while commuting 60ish miles one-way.  I liked the zone I was able to get in to regularly, I just didn't enjoy losing that time with sleepywife.  I doubt anyone's studied it, but I feel like there's a link between highway driving and meditation... so I feel like it can provide similar mental-health benefits

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/28/18 6:02 a.m.

Well, if we just change the thread topic a little, this could be an entirely different...and less depressing...conversation.  "The big double Ds are hitting hard". 

I love the Christmas season, so that helps ward off the winter blues.  Plus, honestly winter down south is far less cold and grey than it is up north, so that helps too.  Life is stressful year round, regardless of the season.  My life is insanely crazy, also in the "barely under control" category.  I look forward to my vacation time coming from work between Xmas and New Years, so that I can do...absolutely freaking nothing.  I know I'll enjoy the E36 M3 out of it, but at the same time all the craziness of my life is what keeps things interesting.  I hate to be bored for more than a very short time.

Wally
11/28/18 6:30 a.m.
John Welsh said:

So, the big D is not Detroit, not Dallas, but rather Diverticulitis? 

I too thought it was something different entirely but I also had to reread the cover of the Enquirer half a dozen times to figure out what was happening:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/18 8:33 a.m.

Wife stayed home from work. I didn't think I was going to win that one. She got her first dose of antibiotics and was resting in bed when I left. We were so tired when we got home we both forgot to change the alarm, so in bed at 1am, alarm going off at 5:10. I reset it for another 90 minutes then up and getting ready for work. Made it in 45 minutes late, boss don't care but holy hell I'm tired. 

Also thanks to all that have reached out. You peeps are a blessing in disguise and even though I may not have personally thanked you via text/email etc, I appreciate it and will try throughout the day to say thanks to all of you. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JRXx3OmvobEmlPfS8MzvAOTmFzQbZJL4DyuYD3cgbfkNZDrusweEEdCde13Ma6Ii