1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/19 3:20 p.m.

It's missing at least two zeros, maybe even three. I'm going to check Sotheby's and Mecum.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/19 3:25 p.m.

An offer of $200 is equivalent to just saying, "we don't want it." 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/7/19 3:41 p.m.

Don't forget Barrett Jackson, that's more appropriate for a ride like yours.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/7/19 3:46 p.m.
John Welsh said:

When I was selling my Acura TSX, I took it to CarMax, had an offer from Carvana, as well as the local Acura dealer. Carvana was an "insulting" offer that basically said "yeah, not for us but we'll take it for this much". CarMax was fair, but far enough below what I was looking for that I passed--I thought they may put it on the lot, but it was definitely going straight to auction at that price. 

The Acura dealer was the funniest. They lowballed the hell out of me. The only reason I brought it there was because it was a legitimately clean TSX, very well maintained, etc. I had seen older and rougher cars on their lot. Well, they gave me an "insulting" offer, and I said "no thanks, thanks for your time" and was walking out and the guy was insulted that I didn't take it. He kept asking what I wanted, and I told him, he told me I was nuts! It was weird; I knew the MMR and Blackbook value of the car and he was about 1/2 of either. He was definitely going to put the car on the lot, too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/19 5:39 p.m.

I'll pay top dollar for that Rondo-$300!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/7/19 6:17 p.m.

They also offered $200 for my Mazda5. I’m going to sleep on it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/19 9:02 p.m.

Does the fine print say.. (you can keep the Rondo, too)?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/19 9:05 p.m.
chandler said:

Did you get it in ones? I don't think that's even going to fill a pillow...

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/7/19 9:15 p.m.
Ransom said:
chandler said:

Did you get it in ones? I don't think that's even going to fill a pillow...

Ha, the offer! I’m going to sleep on the offer! That amount of cash won’t keep me in a hotel for two nights.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/7/19 9:19 p.m.

You guys need a rusty PoS '78 Aspen to bring in the Big $$$

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/19 9:09 a.m.

Not sure if im offended or proud. 

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
5/8/19 9:11 a.m.

At least they didn't give you the low offer of $19...

Professor_Brap
5/8/19 9:19 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

Suprised they didnt, 300k neon. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
dculberson said:

Don't forget Barrett Jackson, that's more appropriate for a ride like yours.

Good point.  Should I go no reserve you think?  A lot of the blue-chip cars don't, so I probably won't either.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
mtn said:
John Welsh said:

When I was selling my Acura TSX, I took it to CarMax, had an offer from Carvana, as well as the local Acura dealer. Carvana was an "insulting" offer that basically said "yeah, not for us but we'll take it for this much". CarMax was fair, but far enough below what I was looking for that I passed--I thought they may put it on the lot, but it was definitely going straight to auction at that price. 

The Acura dealer was the funniest. They lowballed the hell out of me. The only reason I brought it there was because it was a legitimately clean TSX, very well maintained, etc. I had seen older and rougher cars on their lot. Well, they gave me an "insulting" offer, and I said "no thanks, thanks for your time" and was walking out and the guy was insulted that I didn't take it. He kept asking what I wanted, and I told him, he told me I was nuts! It was weird; I knew the MMR and Blackbook value of the car and he was about 1/2 of either. He was definitely going to put the car on the lot, too.

Dealers don't care in any way, shape, or form about any "book" value on the car. 

They use auction value as what they will give for trade in. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/8/19 9:43 a.m.
z31maniac said:
mtn said:
John Welsh said:

Dealers don't care in any way, shape, or form about any "book" value on the car. 

Bolded the relevant parts up there.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
5/8/19 9:53 a.m.
z31maniac said:

You also have to figure out the bottom end of the trade in range, it's not even what they get at auction.  Everything becomes a cost to them.  They have to pay someone to do the paperwork on it.  They have to pay someone to keep track of it on the lot.  They have to pay someone to transport it to auction.  They have to pay someone to process the receipt in accounting for the auction proceeds.  Etc. 

At some point they're losing money taking in a trade in that's going to be scrapped/auctioned just given the overhead of getting it through that process by payrolled individuals.  I get nobody wants $200 for their car, but I also get why at the sub ~$1,000 cars, the dealer has no interest in having to deal with it in the first place.  

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/8/19 10:01 a.m.

HIGH SCORE!

I was going to do the dakota but the estimate year stops at 1992

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/8/19 10:43 a.m.

Hey! I can play too!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/19 12:48 p.m.

I wonder what I have that they won't be interested in? 

I'll bet a 90 Infiniti Q45 even with just 75k is not worth more that $200.

2001 Montero with 213k probably not more than $200 either. 

Professor_Brap
5/8/19 12:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

My 95 neon with 40k was worth $200

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/19 1:01 p.m.

I suspect they might do well to have a bucket for cars they don't want and instead of providing a ridiculous quote, send them to a page saying "Thank you but that vehicle isn't quite aligned with our system, and we're not well placed to sell it. Let us show you what cars we have available for when you've found a buyer."

Which is much more inviting than "We'll give you pocket lint for it. Now that we've established how fairly we deal, let's talk sales."

(They also noted the nearest hub is 533 miles away, and I'd need to drive to within 60 miles of it, but that's just a matter of their not being in my market currently.)

Professor_Brap
5/8/19 1:10 p.m.

I broke the website..... 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/19 1:13 p.m.

They said 32,050 for my truck, i’m in the wrong place

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/19 1:25 p.m.

They laughed at the wifes 02 explorer and said they couldnt take it.

They are a very smart company

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dPDlTwAR2TAaq7m1xIAUZ74rtDR3m2lErhiO7OHnnU2azDrF5Ar95AB9Gt7NjWWH